Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Location Location Location 2

Sydney Location Location Location 2

Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

tamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant future
Default Sydney Location Location Location 2

I will be working in Bellevue Hill, but accomodation is obviously very expensive there. Despite having $1000 a week for rental, I would like to live in an easily commutable area, as up market as I can get, where I will get more accomodation for my money? Interested to know if you think my search should be limited to the Eastern Suburbs, or if I could venture across the harbour (easy commute?!?)?

All advice gratefully received...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:20 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Location Location Location 2

Referring to your previous posts about salary, IMHO $1000 a week is a lot to pay on rent, but you didn't ask that so...have you looked on domain.com.au? You might like to start with Woollahra if you want to be close to nice shops, cafes, etc., as my friend who works in the city likes it round there. Maybe around Centennial Park, too.

Unfortunately I think the "upmarket" areas around there are very close to not so des res areas. We looked at a couple of lovely houses in Paddington but, travelling for my husband aside, I didn't like the thought of living there.

How about the beaches, or not your thing?

NickyC is the Eastern Suburbs (and everything else Sydney, really!) expert.

Not sure I'd like to drive from the North Shore every day (only done it a couple of times at rush hour but the bridge seems to get pretty jammed up) but public transport might be ok.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
NickyC is the Eastern Suburbs (and everything else Sydney, really!) expert.
I'm not really an expert - just been here for yonks

To the OP, as Seasider has said, $1k is a hefty rent allowance. What sort of accommodation are you looking for? It would get you a fantastic apartment almost anywhere in the east - but you're unlikely to find a large, prestigious type of house. How many bedrooms are you after? Must it be a house - or will an apartment do?

Checkout Queens Park, Waverley, North Randwick. All nice areas, with reasonably-sized houses (no mansions, though) and close to Bondi Junction/Bellevue Hill. Bronte, Clovelly and Coogee are similar but probably a bit more expensive due to proximity to beaches.

The house next door to us was let for a couple of years for around $950 a week. It's a renovated, 5 bedroom, 2 bathroom house on a quarter acre block, just five minutes walk to the beach. That's the sort of place you'd get for your money around here (Coogee).

I also wouldn't recommend moving to the North Shore if you're working on this side. Commuting by ferry to the CBD is OK - but not if you have to then get to Bellevue Hill. Definitely stick to the southern side of the harbour.

My god! - Just checked out the areas I mentioned on Domain.com. Looks like I'm a bit out of date with rental prices. All the 'nice' houses in good streets are asking extortionate prices well over $1k. Maybe an apartment will do? Plenty of those around for less than $1k.

Last edited by NickyC; Nov 5th 2008 at 1:07 am.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:35 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamaja
I will be working in Bellevue Hill, but accomodation is obviously very expensive there. Despite having $1000 a week for rental, I would like to live in an easily commutable area, as up market as I can get, where I will get more accomodation for my money? Interested to know if you think my search should be limited to the Eastern Suburbs, or if I could venture across the harbour (easy commute?!?)?

All advice gratefully received...
$52,000 a year on rent?
Thats similar to the average wage in NSW, and after tax too!

I hope you get somewhere nice for that!!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:41 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Vaucluse House is available?

Seriously, OP, even if you are getting the highest of the various figures you've mentioned (and as a salary, not total package) I think you would be wise to look for something cheaper, as the cost of living in Sydney is not low.

JFYI, we pay $650 a week for a very small 2-bed 1-bath terraced house in a good LNS suburb. (There's one down the street for rent at the moment for $1500 a week and one for sale for "above $1.3m", although they are obviously nicer than ours.)
Old Nov 5th 2008, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

tamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant futuretamaja has a brilliant future

thanks for replies...

Last edited by tamaja; Nov 5th 2008 at 5:50 am.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 7:39 am
Auntie Fa

No we don't pay $650 where did I get that from? Now I can't correct it. We pay $620. It was advertised at $650.

(It's ok if your post was originally rude, I didn't see it. )