British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney Hotel Recommendations Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-hotel-recommendations-please-433984/)

Deadmeat Mar 12th 2007 3:13 am

Sydney Hotel Recommendations Please

Dudes,

I'm casting off the shackles of husbandry and fatherlyness and I'm off to Syd with a mate for some bridge climbing (looking forward to THAT) and general revellry but ... we need somewhere to kip ... somewhere that isn't eye-wateringly expensive but not hostel "we'll never get any sleep next to those Germans" cheap.

Somewhere reasonably central ... you know the score.

Recommendations please?

Ta,
Matt

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 3:17 am

Re: Sydney Hotel Recommendations Please

Originally Posted by Deadmeat (Post 4508632)
Dudes,

I'm casting off the shackles of husbandry and fatherlyness and I'm off to Syd with a mate for some bridge climbing (looking forward to THAT) and general revellry but ... we need somewhere to kip ... somewhere that isn't eye-wateringly expensive but not hostel "we'll never get any sleep next to those Germans" cheap.

Somewhere reasonably central ... you know the score.

Recommendations please?

Ta,
Matt

The bridge climb is great...done that and got the tee-shirt. :lol:

We stayed at the Sheraton...no idea on the cost of rooms though...sorry. :o

Geordie George Mar 12th 2007 3:39 am

There are some decent places around Darling Harbour and Chinatown that don't cost the earth. I think that the Pacific International apartments are usually good value for money. Ultimo/Prymont are within walking distance of the Darling Harbour end of the CBD, not not in the same price bracket, so might be worth a look.

If you wanted an expert Sydney guide, I know a bar or three. ;) :D

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 4508685)
There are some decent places around Darling Harbour and Chinatown that don't cost the earth. I think that the Pacific International apartments are usually good value for money. Ultimo/Prymont are within walking distance of the Darling Harbour end of the CBD, not not in the same price bracket, so might be worth a look.

If you wanted an expert Sydney guide, I know a bar or three. ;) :D

Or twenty. :rofl:

Geordie George Mar 12th 2007 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4508691)
Or twenty. :rofl:

Ah, you know me so well, Jersey. :rofl:

Jerseygirl Mar 12th 2007 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 4508694)
Ah, you know me so well, Jersey. :rofl:

Or thirty. :rofl:

Kernow1 Mar 12th 2007 7:04 am

We normally stay at the Country Comfort in Central. Can't remember the rates but it is so easy to get around from there.

Paul & Wendy Mar 12th 2007 7:09 am

Hi, We normally stay at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn, at The Rocks. Not too expensive, but good clean standards and located almost under the bridge itself.
Paul

Deadmeat Mar 12th 2007 7:37 am

Ta very much everyone, I'll check 'em all out ... we are only there for one night so it's a case of get in, get up, get off, get to bed and then get out :)

moneypenny20 Mar 12th 2007 7:56 am

We stayed at the Goldsborough Apartment Hotel place:p really central - Darling Harbour. Very nice and quite reasonable - we thought anyway.

http://www.theoaksgroup.com.au/Property.aspx?sid=1

Hutch Mar 12th 2007 8:15 am

Every time we stay in Sydney we scope out www.wotif.com - have a look what's nice and cheap, and go for it. You can get five star hotel rooms for a couple of hundred bucks a night through that site - and if you click on the links to the hotels themselves you can read all about them. :)

Deadmeat Mar 13th 2007 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 4509035)
Every time we stay in Sydney we scope out www.wotif.com - have a look what's nice and cheap, and go for it. You can get five star hotel rooms for a couple of hundred bucks a night through that site - and if you click on the links to the hotels themselves you can read all about them. :)

Nice site Hutch, I'd heard of it before but didn't think to check it out ... there's certainly a wide range of rates ... I reckon we might go for the Avillion, a 5* with a couple of king-size beds in a central location for $180 doesn't sound bad to me :)

JDH Mar 13th 2007 3:45 am

hi, go onto lastminute.com (uk version) and look up sydney hotels, the mystery hotel stated 48 located in the CBD is the Menzies (Carrington St). We stayed there twice and got it for $90 per night each time, it's a great located just off george st near circular quay and rocks where you go for the bridge climb. it's a good standard hotel and great location.

Deadmeat Mar 13th 2007 10:59 am

Originally Posted by JDH (Post 4511946)
hi, go onto lastminute.com (uk version) and look up sydney hotels, the mystery hotel stated 48 located in the CBD is the Menzies (Carrington St). We stayed there twice and got it for $90 per night each time, it's a great located just off george st near circular quay and rocks where you go for the bridge climb. it's a good standard hotel and great location.

Nice one, I'll check it out ... we could do with saving $100 ... dats a lot of booze :)

(edit) Saw the place you were talking about (and very nice it looked) but I couldn't get anywhere near $90 ... $170 was the cheapest and that was for a double bed, which isn't ideal if you've been on the beverages with someone that you ideally do not want to share a bed with :D

Deadmeat Mar 14th 2007 8:56 am

Gone for the Avillion, looks nice and comfy and central.

Cheers for all the suggestions,
Matt