Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney harbour fireworks, New Years Eve

Sydney harbour fireworks, New Years Eve

Old Sep 26th 2004, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Sydney harbour fireworks, New Years Eve

Can anyone give me some tips on the best place to go to see the fireworks? I know this is daft question, but is there anywhere you dont have to queue up all day to get a good vantage point?

I had a look at the prices of doing a harbour cruise..boy oh boy do they charge!!!!! minimum price starts at $550 per person :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:43 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney harbour fireworks, New Years Eve

I was about to suggest a harbour cruise - I did that for New Year 2002 and it was fantastic!!! $550 seems very outrageous though... aren't there any that are cheaper? (I was lucky and knew a friend of a friend of someone who ran one of the cruises - got to go free!).
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:51 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraliz
I was about to suggest a harbour cruise - I did that for New Year 2002 and it was fantastic!!! $550 seems very outrageous though... aren't there any that are cheaper? (I was lucky and knew a friend of a friend of someone who ran one of the cruises - got to go free!).
we took a drive to bondi one day. it was too busy so we drove right through. about a mile up the road we could see the bridge and the big hoose.
it was like a park or somethin' but the view was magic. i couldnt be bothered with a crowded display so i think thats where we will be watching from.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Can anyone give me some tips on the best place to go to see the fireworks? I know this is daft question, but is there anywhere you dont have to queue up all day to get a good vantage point?

I had a look at the prices of doing a harbour cruise..boy oh boy do they charge!!!!! minimum price starts at $550 per person :scared: :scared:
Anywhere good and close to the bridge is definitely a 'stake your claim by 9am' spot. That includes all the public parks on all the peninsulas close to the city (north and south). However, there are some great spots further back where you can get the big picture (which is better in some ways than being too close) but you don't get the same atmosphere or any sound - being so far away.

Christison Park in Vaucluse has a great view and never fills up completely. We've turned up there at 8.45 for the 9pm fireworks and always had a good view. There is another park on Military Road (D. Page Reserve) at Dover Heights which is similar, but fills up earlier (being closer). Just drive around till you see crowds of people - and you know you've found a good spot!

Traffic of course, once the fireworks are over, is always horrendous.

Last edited by NickyC; Sep 26th 2004 at 2:44 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 2:36 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Log on to a web cam.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

We did the harbour cruise in 2002 - my best friend who livves in Sydney arranged it. There were 35 of us & we hired the boat complete with skipper & crew. someone organised all the food - each family did enough of something for 35 & everyone did BYO booze - it was a fantastic night - I think for 3 adults & 2 kids we paid $550 - so the price you quoted seems very expensive.

cheers

pockygoes
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all

We went down to see the fireworks New Years Eve 2002 and walked down to the harbour front from the train station. Its busy but we got close to the waters edge and bought a few beers from people selling them out of dustbins with ice and had a great time. Didn't get down there until 9pm ish and had to stand but if you are quite happy "roughing it" then its not a problem. You wont get into any of the restaurants then but there is beer and food readily available all around. We were within 100 yards of the bridge.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

We were there for 2002/03 and went to macquaries chair at about 1pm - got a place with no real problems - when it got to midnight we ended up walking down and were right at the front! People were still strolling in at about 10 pm despite the fact that when we left the hotel at midday they told us we'd be far too late to get in!!! Lots of people go for the 9pm display and leave after that - despite the 9o'clock display not being on 2002/03 due to the winds families that stay out seemed to leave before midnight because of getting the kiddies home!!!
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thanx for the tips. We are considering popping up to Sydney and staying with an eldedrly rellie who lives in Green Valley. We'll be hiring a car, but by the sounds of it we might be better parking it out of town and getting a train in.
Not sure i want to stand up all day in a queue, so i might get me a fold up chair to take. I think the nicest spot would be in front of the opera house, but i bet you wont get a space there!!!!
Given up on the idea of a cruise. Far too much money
Old Sep 26th 2004, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

luvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant future

We did the fireworks last new year 03/04, we arrived at the steps of the Opera house at 3pm with picnic, blankets etc, 6 adults 2 kids under 10, pack of cards, games etc etc and had a great day. Got to know the people around us and resulted in having a real good party and the fireworks were excellent and the view fantastic. Kids got to see 9pm and then fell asleep and we waited for the midnight. It was not tiring and a great day was had by all.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default Come to our place!

I was gonna invite ya'll to our apartment in Potts Point as we have views of the city, the house and of course the Bridge. But now we are moving to Glebe

You could of course take over the lease for 450/wk. Split the cost amongst us all, then we can all squish in on the 31st!!
Old Sep 27th 2004, 11:25 am
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Hi there

I have seen it twice at this point and it doesn't cost you a dime! I saw the fireworks here at the end of 99 and end of 02. Sorry I cannot remember the name of the place but it an old house at the end of darling point road. You can stand/sit in the gardens and on a jetty, its a bit of a distance from the bridge but you get to take in all the display that sydney puts on. There is also an island that you can get a boat over to as well but i don't know where you get this from.

the old house should be the bit of green on this map at the end of darling point rd and the island is the one just to the north of it.

http://multimap.com.au/map/browse.cg...67&upright.y=5
Old Sep 27th 2004, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I wondered why soapy hasnt suggested hiring a boat and have a british expats new eve boat cruise.

Another place is around by bradleys head, havent been there for new years but a good place I would think, probably need some light mind you !!!!!

But most of the shore line is packed around the harbour
Old Sep 27th 2004, 2:46 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzysu
Hi I wondered why soapy hasnt suggested hiring a boat and have a british expats new eve boat cruise.

Another place is around by bradleys head, havent been there for new years but a good place I would think, probably need some light mind you !!!!!

But most of the shore line is packed around the harbour
ah but your forgettin one thing. im scottish and i would be far too pished to be on a boat
Old Sep 27th 2004, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road

Hi we went to Maquires point/chair 2001. It was fantastic, we went in at lunch time to get a good spot. No queing to get in. People where still coming in later on but not sure how late, they check your bags for booze but we mixed cocktails and wine and put it in quash bottles we had a ball. They do sell booze and food though.
We took a picnic and played games etc. loads of great people to meet. It's great making a full day of it.
Alot of people do go after the 9pm display, so you can get right to the front. It's the best view for the bridge and the opera house together also the fireworks of the city buildings.
Enjoy I'm sure you'll have a ball.
Marie