Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney groups? What's happening for local Poms?

Sydney groups? What's happening for local Poms?

Old Jul 6th 2008, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Delila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney groups? What's happening for local Poms?

Hi

Is anyone arranging any kind of get togethers for Poms and/or Europeans on the Lower North Shore, or the Northern Beaches?

I am very keen to meet a mixed crowd of singles, couples and families. I crave the company of decent, pleasant, characterful grownups with a British sense of humour, who are a little (or a lot) on the intellectual side.

(I specifically wish to avoid the 'adolescents in adult bodies' mentality that characterises much of the usual social scene in Sydney.)

Thanks for your ideas or info!

Delila
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney groups? What's happening for local Poms?

Hi Delila,

There are a couple of threads about meet ups in Sydney if you do a search. Every Thursday evening there is a meet in the CBD which generally involves eating in a pub and a couple of hours drinks. I haven't been for a long time, but I think it is quite a mix in terms of men and women in their 20s and 30s (but I don't think there is an age limit!) some singles others couples etc. I think they probably fit the criteria you are looking for.
Also, there is a group of women (all mums, but that is not a requirement) who meet on the First Tuesday of the month (posting as FTC) generally around the North Shore/ Northern Beaches areas.
There is also a recently formed book club in the North Shore/Hills District, which meets about every 6 weeks or so.
I'm sure there are others as well, or if you want to start your own you'd probably get a fair bit of interest.
The FTC are meeting tomorrow as its the school holidays at Kuringai National Park, you'd be most welcome, but there will be lots of kids!
Feel free to PM me if you want any more info,
Carolyn.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Delila
Hi

Is anyone arranging any kind of get togethers for Poms and/or Europeans on the Lower North Shore, or the Northern Beaches?

I am very keen to meet a mixed crowd of singles, couples and families. I crave the company of decent, pleasant, characterful grownups with a British sense of humour, who are a little (or a lot) on the intellectual side.

(I specifically wish to avoid the 'adolescents in adult bodies' mentality that characterises much of the usual social scene in Sydney.)

Thanks for your ideas or info!

Delila
Hi we will be arriving in Sydney on 18th August. Family of 3 -daughter is 12, and reasonably brainy without being eggheads. Perhaps we could meet up when we find somewhere to live??? I am nearly 48 and OH is 45, but we are not stuffy (we hope) and love Monty Python!
Caroline
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:02 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Delila
... I crave the company of decent, pleasant, characterful grownups with a British sense of humour, who are a little (or a lot) on the intellectual side...
Gosh, I'd hate to think I qualify and arrange something, only to find out I've been deluded for many years.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Seasider
Gosh, I'd hate to think I qualify and arrange something, only to find out I've been deluded for many years.
Tee hee. Perhaps I can run you through some psychometric exercises first, and give you the or beforehand. Heck, I might not even qualify for my own group .

D
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Carolyn, thanks for listing those options. All except the CBD pub sound great! I will keep an eye out for info.

D.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:54 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Hi Delila,

I think my 'burb qualifies as Upper North Shore.... if that's near enough, PM me if you'd like to come over for a coffee - and I might even drag yanH (previous poster) over as she is my neighbour..... 2 for the price of 1!

- 22B
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:40 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by 22B
Hi Delila,

I think my 'burb qualifies as Upper North Shore.... if that's near enough, PM me if you'd like to come over for a coffee - and I might even drag yanH (previous poster) over as she is my neighbour..... 2 for the price of 1!

- 22B
Don't you mean "Lower Hawkesbury" instead of "Upper North Shore"?? haha Or is it just the snob factor talking
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Got the visa last night, so beware Sydney, we will be arriving on the 18th August!!!!!
CAroline
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:49 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hoola
Don't you mean "Lower Hawkesbury" instead of "Upper North Shore"?? haha Or is it just the snob factor talking

Errr, actually it was the postman talking

Why - is there something special about UNS?

Last edited by 22B; Jul 9th 2008 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 11:40 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's nowhere near as special as the Lower North Shore, dahlings.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 10:31 pm
22B
BE Enthusiast

Oooh go on - don't keep us in suspense....... what where when?

(can't be arsed to sign up to yet another site, remember yet another password, etc., only to find out it's the other side of town, or it's not our scene or something .......... sorry, mate)
Old Jun 5th 2009, 2:58 am
Just Joined

davebirchall is an unknown quantity at this point

It's all in the description, as is the time and place.
Sorry its not on YOUR website. I'm just trying to get up off my backside to get things organised. If its too much hassle to come along then you don't have to come. You don't have to publicly condemn me or the site for committing some of my personal life to help others.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

I'm totally confused now (must be those blonde highlights I had done this morning). Didn't this thread start in JULY 2008!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I'm totally confused now (must be those blonde highlights I had done this morning). Didn't this thread start in JULY 2008!
It did. It was bumped by someone promoting his own website. I'll close it as its so out of date and I suggest anyone still interested starts a more current thread.