British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sydney - good suburbs 40 mins from circular quay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-good-suburbs-40-mins-circular-quay-539112/)

the big nowhere May 27th 2008 2:04 am

sydney - good suburbs 40 mins from circular quay

hi......was looking at adelaide,but now have offers in sydney...no idea about area's but have been advised to look at inner west as 30-40 mins commute....any advice on best suburbs would be great for 40 min commute....cheers

paddyo May 27th 2008 2:11 am

Re: sydney - good suburbs 40 mins from circular quay

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6397881)
hi......was looking at adelaide,but now have offers in sydney...no idea about area's but have been advised to look at inner west as 30-40 mins commute....any advice on best suburbs would be great for 40 min commute....cheers

If you want 40 mins from Circular Quay then pretty much anywhere fits! Any place along the river both ways (parramatta/manly) and most places on Northern rail line up to Epping and Western/Southern rail lines out to Como.
I live in Manly and commute to Garden Island in Woolloomooloo and from door to door its 1 hour in total which includes a leisurely 30 mins on the ferry drinking coffe and reading the local rag!

the big nowhere May 27th 2008 2:48 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6397896)
If you want 40 mins from Circular Quay then pretty much anywhere fits! Any place along the river both ways (parramatta/manly) and most places on Northern rail line up to Epping and Western/Southern rail lines out to Como.
I live in Manly and commute to Garden Island in Woolloomooloo and from door to door its 1 hour in total which includes a leisurely 30 mins on the ferry drinking coffe and reading the local rag!

hey thanks for that...we lived in church crookham...small world..

Ginger3710 May 27th 2008 4:15 am

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6397881)

Hi, are you renting or buying? If you can give us a rough budget we can advise you the best areas for your money.

verystormy May 27th 2008 6:04 am

As Paddyo has said, you can get live in most places in that time frame. We are in Breakfast Point, which is a stunning new development just along the river and takes about 35 mins by ferry to circular quay. If you have a look at the update i did a week or so ago you will see some pics.

paddyo May 27th 2008 6:57 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 6398322)
As Paddyo has said, you can get live in most places in that time frame. We are in Breakfast Point, which is a stunning new development just along the river and takes about 35 mins by ferry to circular quay. If you have a look at the update i did a week or so ago you will see some pics.

It looks very nice at Breakfast Point, we did think of living that way but as soon as her indoors spotted the apartment we got now I didn't stand a chance! Plus we did not have any transport for her and did not want to be too far from shops, cafes, etc etc.

paddyo May 27th 2008 6:58 am

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6397967)
hey thanks for that...we lived in church crookham...small world..

Tell me about it, I was at a conference in Melbourne last week and bumped into a guy I used to work with in Farnborough 10 years ago!!

verystormy May 27th 2008 7:02 am

Hi Paddyo. We would have liked Manly, but couldnt find anything in our price range in the time we had - only had two weeks before i had to fly out to work, (yesterday). Breakfast isnt good for trains, though ok for buses and has a ferry point which as my OH doesnt drive was also important. Its about 35 mins on the ferry to circular, or either a bus or 10 mins on the bus to concord rail station

paddyo May 27th 2008 7:38 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 6398448)
Hi Paddyo. We would have liked Manly, but couldnt find anything in our price range in the time we had - only had two weeks before i had to fly out to work, (yesterday). Breakfast isnt good for trains, though ok for buses and has a ferry point which as my OH doesnt drive was also important. Its about 35 mins on the ferry to circular, or either a bus or 10 mins on the bus to concord rail station

Well Manly is a great place BEFORE 10pm, after that its the usual seaside drunken kids! And our place is above my original price ceiling but, again, she who must be obeyed and all that! But the more we walk around here the more we like it and now we have transport it gives us so many more options for when we move (if we want to) next year.
I was actually looking at the new build 3 bed apartments at Meadowbank, look great value for money but just that little bit too far for regular commute and nothing there to do .

Red_V_Roger May 27th 2008 8:51 am

By rail from Sutherland, Kirrawee, Gymea, Miranda or Cronulla...

Life's much better in the south!

Katherined0 May 27th 2008 10:42 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6398543)
Well Manly is a great place BEFORE 10pm, after that its the usual seaside drunken kids! And our place is above my original price ceiling but, again, she who must be obeyed and all that! But the more we walk around here the more we like it and now we have transport it gives us so many more options for when we move (if we want to) next year.
I was actually looking at the new build 3 bed apartments at Meadowbank, look great value for money but just that little bit too far for regular commute and nothing there to do .

Meadowbank is not too far for a regular commute. It would fall within your 40 mins to circular quai and is a lovely trip on the ferry. Ferries are only every half an hour and stop around 9pm but there is also a train station in Meadowbank......
Also look at Putney which has a nice village feel and you can get the ferry from Kissing Point.
Balmain is another nice place if you're looking for somewhere with a bit more going on in terms of bars/restaurants etc. Again a ferry ride away and a bit nearer....

the big nowhere May 27th 2008 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6398438)
Tell me about it, I was at a conference in Melbourne last week and bumped into a guy I used to work with in Farnborough 10 years ago!!

yeh,we have met people we knew from camberley in new zealand and cobham whilst living in canada.........

the big nowhere May 27th 2008 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ginger3710 (Post 6398153)
Hi, are you renting or buying? If you can give us a rough budget we can advise you the best areas for your money.

hi.we would want to rent for 6 months so i guess up to $900 week rent and then to buy,didn't really want to go above $850-$900k..........

Red_V_Roger May 27th 2008 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by the big nowhere (Post 6399577)
hi.we would want to rent for 6 months so i guess up to $900 week rent and then to buy,didn't really want to go above $850-$900k..........

Save your money...there is life beyond the north shore!!!

$500 / week will get you a nice place in the Sutherlandshire..walking distance to the train for CBD..10 minutes to Cronulla beach, great shopping at Miranda and elsewhere and 10 minutes in to the Royal National Park for the bush, fishing and beach! (even a nudist one)

Ginger3710 May 27th 2008 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger (Post 6399834)
Save your money...there is life beyond the north shore!!!

$500 / week will get you a nice place in the Sutherlandshire..walking distance to the train for CBD..10 minutes to Cronulla beach, great shopping at Miranda and elsewhere and 10 minutes in to the Royal National Park for the bush, fishing and beach! (even a nudist one)

I agree, $900 is a HUGE amount per week, even for Sydney. In the St George area (southern suburbs) you can get a 4 bed/2 garage home for $500/week. Also the Illawarra train line has very frequent and express services to the city (change at Central for Circular Quay). St George and Sutherland shires are safe and family oriented. Try www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au to check out rentals.