Sydney Expats

Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Expats

Dear all sydney expats ...

a posible job means I may be leaving the elite group that is the Brisbane Expats to head south where the streets are paved with Gold etc.

So I have a question. Where do I live? Am looking for an apartment (or perhaps apartment share?). Does anyone have any opinions / prices / rooms available on the following areas:

CBD
Potts Point
Paddinton
North Shore
'North Shore Beaches'

Thanks

Dave
Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

CBD Pricey
Potts Point Good for heroin and prostitutes with good access to Kings X and Darlinghurst and quick to get into the city.

Paddington: - A bit pretentious these days but there are some good rental properties. It is a 15 to 20 min bus to the city.

North Shore:- If you prefer going to church than to the pub then the Northern Suburbs are for you. The main advantage is good transport to North Sydney and the CBD. It is also more spacious and more family orientated.

Northern Beaches:- Other than Manly (for the ferry) public transport to the CBD is not too great. North Sydney and Chatswood/St Leonards are more accessible by bus but the East West roads are congested.

Some other places to consider are Bondi, Bronte and Coogee. All have plenty of rental property with good buses/trains to the CBD.

It basically comes down to a choice between Manly and the the Eastern Burbs. I am biased towards the Eastern burbs because they are more accessible and have a good choice of cafes, restaurants, pubs, clubs and beaches.

I rent an old 2 bedroom unit 5 mins walk from Bondi Beach for 300 a week.

Good luck
Old Feb 9th 2004, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

tell us the following:

where are you going to work
how much time are u prepared to spend commuting
whats your rent budget
whats important to you in determining a place to live
Old Feb 9th 2004, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by RichS
tell us the following:

where are you going to work
how much time are u prepared to spend commuting
whats your rent budget
whats important to you in determining a place to live

Great questions, Rich ...

>where are you going to work
North Sydney

>how much time are u prepared to spend commuting
half an hour - by train

>whats your rent budget
up to 300 per week

>whats important to you in determining a place to live
IDealy, good social life, bars, restaraunts, night school classes etc, beach if poss, easy to get to airport would be good to

thanks guys
Old Feb 9th 2004, 10:50 pm

>where are you going to work
North Sydney

>how much time are u prepared to spend commuting
half an hour - by train

>whats your rent budget
up to 300 per week

>whats important to you in determining a place to live
Idealy, good social life, bars, restaraunts, night school classes etc, beach if poss, easy to get to airport would be good to

thanks guys

Anywhere within walking distance of Kings X will provide all of that. The train may take more depending on connections. A cab to the airport probably costs $35 from those areas and takes 20 to 30 mins.

Suburbs include, Potts Point, Elizabeth Bay, Darlinghurst and the northern end of Paddington.

To the north there is Chatswood and Hornsby but the nightlife is not the same.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

If you can tackle a bus as opposed to a train then Manly will fulfill all your criteria. Your problem may be that what you get for $300 a week in QLD will not look like what you will get for the same money in Manly.
Sharing will be your best option there.

If you rule out beach locations then I'm going to say that in my experience N Sydney is not so lively.
Look for maybe inner West suburbs on train lines - Petersham/Newtown, or looking towward the East you've got Bondi Junction/Edgecliffe/Kings Cross.
On the new development front you might find something around Moore Park which isn't so far from trains and is close to good night stuff.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Scott&Berni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney Expats

Hi

Agree with the posts so far. The option of Manly if your willing to uses buses looks good. Manly is pretty expensive but you could get a one bed nice apartment for $300 ish. we had a budget of $350 and looked in Manly but we wanted 2 beds and could only find older properties. Like everything depends on whether you want the nightlife on your doorstep or the beach and whether your prepared to live in an older property.

My hubby works on the north shore at Curl Curl and he travels by car from Balmain every day and it takes him 30-40 mins. We've looked at the north shore and like Bondipom says it is quieter and more family oriented.

I think a few of us are organising a meet on the 7 March. Dick B's thread is the one to look for. maybe someone could give you more advice there.

Good Luck
[QUOTE]Originally posted by windsordave
Dear all sydney expats ...

a posible job means I may be leaving the elite group that is the Brisbane Expats to head south where the streets are paved with Gold etc.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are not too bothered about the ferry to CBD, I would maybe look at Dee Why as well. It seems to be one of those trendy places to be given the number of blocks that are going up.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:49 am

Originally posted by dracupg
If you are not too bothered about the ferry to CBD, I would maybe look at Dee Why as well. It seems to be one of those trendy places to be given the number of blocks that are going up.
There are a lot of blocks going up there. How long does it take to get the bus to the Manly ferry? The bloke I bought my surf board off was not too impressed with the nightlife there.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea about the ferry. I think people take the bus to CBD (45-60min?), rather than the ferry. There was talk of a new ferry route from Dee Why though.

Night life. Again, tucked up in bed by 10, so not really sure. Bound to be more than St Ives though.