Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney E-tag and hire cars?

Sydney E-tag and hire cars?

Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

James_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really niceJames_SC is just really nice
Default Sydney E-tag and hire cars?

Hi,

I am getting a hire car on Friday for a few days to explore the city. Does anyone know how you deal with the toll roads, I think some do not take cash, can you pay with a card??

Thanks James
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sydney E-tag and hire cars?

Originally Posted by James_SC
Hi,

I am getting a hire car on Friday for a few days to explore the city. Does anyone know how you deal with the toll roads, I think some do not take cash, can you pay with a card??

Thanks James
I think you can. I can't remember what we did. Try looking on the AVIS website for info.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Molko1974
I think you can. I can't remember what we did. Try looking on the AVIS website for info.
No you can't, the only way to pay on cashless toll roads in Sydney is with e-tag. Just drive through and you will get an approx $15 admin fee added to your hire cost. If same as Melbourne, it will take a couple of months for the hire company to charge it. I seem to remember Hertz in Melbourne offering me some prepaid deal though, X number of dollars per week which seemed, suprisingly enough for a car hire company, like a rip off at the time.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:40 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Get a Toyota from nobirds.com.au - they come with the tags, you pay the bill once you hand the car back. - I had one a few months back, 6 weeks of tolls put a nice dent in my wallet. They were the best value hire cars too.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by upyerfud
No you can't, the only way to pay on cashless toll roads in Sydney is with e-tag. Just drive through and you will get an approx $15 admin fee added to your hire cost. If same as Melbourne, it will take a couple of months for the hire company to charge it. I seem to remember Hertz in Melbourne offering me some prepaid deal though, X number of dollars per week which seemed, suprisingly enough for a car hire company, like a rip off at the time.
Thats one way - but the better (and cheaper) way is to pay online using the temporary regiatration facility.

Have a look here:

http://www.roam.com.au/content/using...&SC=105&CN=158
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Not True, we had a 4x4 rental for the xmas period, and we (I) drove through the sydney x-city x2, eastern Distrib x2, & southbound m5 x2 and simply called them 3-4 days after , told them the rego and paid using my toll account on another vehicle, or as markMc said go to nobirds on william street.

cheers

deryans
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough

In November we hired car from Avis at Sydney airport . They gave us a number to call re using toll roads. You give the car regist. and credit card details. It gets deducted when you use toll road.

We forgot to do this and a week later used Toll road on leaving to Sydney to join road to Newcastle. We did not have to pay etc but I see now from what others are saying we make get bill.

Avis were excellent, hire costs for 14 days were AU$486 and no charge for leaving car at Gold Coast Airport.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Sydney E-tag and hire cars?

Originally Posted by rosario
In November we hired car from Avis at Sydney airport . They gave us a number to call re using toll roads. You give the car regist. and credit card details. It gets deducted when you use toll road.

We forgot to do this and a week later used Toll road on leaving to Sydney to join road to Newcastle. We did not have to pay etc but I see now from what others are saying we make get bill.

Avis were excellent, hire costs for 14 days were AU$486 and no charge for leaving car at Gold Coast Airport.

Today I received a Bill from Australia for using Toll Road in December.
$3.93 for toll and $10 for Admin. Can pay online so that is OK.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Nicholson_family is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, as someone says above, you just need a Visitors E-Pass. We used one last month. You have 48 hours to register after you pick up your hire car (you need the reg number obviously), and you can register by phone or online.

The pass is valid for 30 days max, or if its a hire car you just phone them when you drop the car off and they close the account at that point.

http://www.roam.com.au/content/appli...&SC=125&CN=185

The toll system seems a bit daunting at first mainly because it seems that every toll is operated by a different company, but just get a visitors e-pass and you can go anywhere without worrying about it.

You'll also need either SatNav or a good road map. You can get a road atlas from the post office shop in the airport arrivals terminal just along from the car hire desks. I recommend the UBD Sydney road atlas (orange coloured cover $40). There's a cheaper smaller $16 version too.
http://www.ubd.com.au/directories/in...content_id=135

And remember, when you park you have to be facing the correct direction of travel even in residential roads - you get funny looks if you just pull over to the right kerb like we do in the UK!

Good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:00 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I used hertz once after someone dinged my car and they provide you with a list of numbers to call after you have gone through a toll. PITA.