Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Crossing in amber and Traffic Light Camera Flashed

Sydney - Crossing in amber and Traffic Light Camera Flashed

Old May 27th 2012, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Sydney - Crossing in amber and Traffic Light Camera Flashed

Hi all,

Today near CBD I was in a jammed intersection, the car was stopped (to keep the street clear) although the light was green, then I saw a gap and crossed in amber, just after crossing (or during) we perceived two flashes (not in front of us, but around). We thought it was a lighting-bolt (in a sunny day) and then I remembered the GPS telling us about the camera.

All happened in seconds, it was jammed around and I really don't remember crossing in red (not my style) but nevertheless, I'm wondering in the case it was me, what to expect and how to appeal?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:32 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - Crossing in amber and Traffic Light Camera Flashed

maybe someone followed you?
Old May 27th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

By the sounds of it you don't know that you didn't. Amber doesn't last long, if you set off when you saw amber then it sounds like you could have been on red. So, why would you appeal? Just be more careful next time, and don't start off from stopped on amber.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
So, why would you appeal? Just be more careful next time, and don't start off from stopped on amber.
Exactly, just pay the fine and try not to do it again.
Old May 27th 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

We are remembering the moment over and over again and we're still thinking that it wasn't me. But how to know or how long it takes to receive the notice? If the case...
Old May 27th 2012, 2:29 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
We are remembering the moment over and over again and we're still thinking that it wasn't me. But how to know or how long it takes to receive the notice? If the case...
I would expect the worst and hope for the best.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Amber means stop.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
Amber means stop.
Amber means "prepare" to stop. Sometimes its not always possible to stop the vehicle safely, in which case you should continue through the interserction.
Old May 27th 2012, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Amber means "prepare" to stop. Sometimes its not always possible to stop the vehicle safely, in which case you should continue through the interserction.
However on this occasion, he was already stopped and moved off on amber. No chance of appeal if indeed he does get the ticket.
Old May 27th 2012, 11:35 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

To me amber means drop a gear and hit the accelerator.
Old May 28th 2012, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

At least $324 + 3 demerit points

John
Old May 28th 2012, 5:33 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

If you're SURE it was amber, then could it be that you accerlaeted too hard and bust the speed limit?

I watched a car the other day go through a camera'd intersection near me - he cruised through on the amber - clearly having made it past the other side of the intersection before the lights turned to red. BUT - He may well have been doing a little over the designated 60kmh to ensure he got through on the amber.... Either way - he's getting a bill and realistically theres no way of getting out of it EVEN if the equipment is faulty you've got bugger all chance of proving it.
Old May 28th 2012, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DadAgain
If you're SURE it was amber, then could it be that you accerlaeted too hard and bust the speed limit?

I watched a car the other day go through a camera'd intersection near me - he cruised through on the amber - clearly having made it past the other side of the intersection before the lights turned to red. BUT - He may well have been doing a little over the designated 60kmh to ensure he got through on the amber.... Either way - he's getting a bill and realistically theres no way of getting out of it EVEN if the equipment is faulty you've got bugger all chance of proving it.
I'm 100% sure that I didn't go over the speed limit pretty much because of the fact that I crossed from stop and I don't have a Camaro....
Old May 28th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Amber means stop if safe to do so. You can be fined for going through an amber light if the police officer considers you could have stopped.
Saying that the amount of times here on the Gold coast I have gone through on amber and thought that was close and then looked in the mirror and at least three or four cars behind have also come through.

Exit 73 Pacific motorway at Nerang the following rules apply at around 5.30-7.30am especially if you are driving a ute

Green means GO
Amber means GO
Red means GO if you can get away with it

Last edited by neil248; May 28th 2012 at 7:57 am.
Old May 28th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
However on this occasion, he was already stopped and moved off on amber. No chance of appeal if indeed he does get the ticket.
Yeah I know - I was just making a point to the poster who said Amber means "stop"!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.