British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney - Crossing in amber and Traffic Light Camera Flashed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-crossing-amber-traffic-light-camera-flashed-759678/)

MAR001 May 27th 2012 8:26 am

Sydney - Crossing in amber and Traffic Light Camera Flashed

Hi all,

Today near CBD I was in a jammed intersection, the car was stopped (to keep the street clear) although the light was green, then I saw a gap and crossed in amber, just after crossing (or during) we perceived two flashes (not in front of us, but around). We thought it was a lighting-bolt (in a sunny day) and then I remembered the GPS telling us about the camera.

All happened in seconds, it was jammed around and I really don't remember crossing in red (not my style) but nevertheless, I'm wondering in the case it was me, what to expect and how to appeal?

Any advise would be appreciated.

commonwealth May 27th 2012 9:32 am

Re: Sydney - Crossing in amber and Traffic Light Camera Flashed

maybe someone followed you?

pumpkin blossom May 27th 2012 10:11 am

By the sounds of it you don't know that you didn't. Amber doesn't last long, if you set off when you saw amber then it sounds like you could have been on red. So, why would you appeal? Just be more careful next time, and don't start off from stopped on amber.

renth May 27th 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom (Post 10084561)
So, why would you appeal? Just be more careful next time, and don't start off from stopped on amber.

Exactly, just pay the fine and try not to do it again.

MAR001 May 27th 2012 12:03 pm

We are remembering the moment over and over again and we're still thinking that it wasn't me. But how to know or how long it takes to receive the notice? If the case...

Cheetah7 May 27th 2012 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 10084706)
We are remembering the moment over and over again and we're still thinking that it wasn't me. But how to know or how long it takes to receive the notice? If the case...

I would expect the worst and hope for the best.:o

neil248 May 27th 2012 7:59 pm

Amber means stop.

sassie May 27th 2012 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by neil248 (Post 10085195)
Amber means stop.

Amber means "prepare" to stop. Sometimes its not always possible to stop the vehicle safely, in which case you should continue through the interserction.

Bermudashorts May 27th 2012 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 10085275)
Amber means "prepare" to stop. Sometimes its not always possible to stop the vehicle safely, in which case you should continue through the interserction.

However on this occasion, he was already stopped and moved off on amber. No chance of appeal if indeed he does get the ticket.

renth May 27th 2012 11:35 pm

To me amber means drop a gear and hit the accelerator.

nickyjohnt May 28th 2012 12:46 am

At least $324 + 3 demerit points

John

DadAgain May 28th 2012 5:33 am

If you're SURE it was amber, then could it be that you accerlaeted too hard and bust the speed limit?

I watched a car the other day go through a camera'd intersection near me - he cruised through on the amber - clearly having made it past the other side of the intersection before the lights turned to red. BUT - He may well have been doing a little over the designated 60kmh to ensure he got through on the amber.... Either way - he's getting a bill and realistically theres no way of getting out of it EVEN if the equipment is faulty you've got bugger all chance of proving it.

MAR001 May 28th 2012 7:17 am

Originally Posted by DadAgain (Post 10085781)
If you're SURE it was amber, then could it be that you accerlaeted too hard and bust the speed limit?

I watched a car the other day go through a camera'd intersection near me - he cruised through on the amber - clearly having made it past the other side of the intersection before the lights turned to red. BUT - He may well have been doing a little over the designated 60kmh to ensure he got through on the amber.... Either way - he's getting a bill and realistically theres no way of getting out of it EVEN if the equipment is faulty you've got bugger all chance of proving it.

I'm 100% sure that I didn't go over the speed limit pretty much because of the fact that I crossed from stop and I don't have a Camaro....

neil248 May 28th 2012 7:41 am

Amber means stop if safe to do so. You can be fined for going through an amber light if the police officer considers you could have stopped.
Saying that the amount of times here on the Gold coast I have gone through on amber and thought that was close and then looked in the mirror and at least three or four cars behind have also come through.

Exit 73 Pacific motorway at Nerang the following rules apply at around 5.30-7.30am especially if you are driving a ute

Green means GO
Amber means GO
Red means GO if you can get away with it

sassie May 28th 2012 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10085343)
However on this occasion, he was already stopped and moved off on amber. No chance of appeal if indeed he does get the ticket.

Yeah I know - I was just making a point to the poster who said Amber means "stop"!!