British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney Cost of Living and Advice Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-cost-living-advice-please-813239/)

JDAD84 Oct 25th 2013 3:06 pm

Sydney Cost of Living and Advice Please

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to move out to Australia at the beginning of the new year. Looking in the North Ryde/McQuarie Park areas.

I'm just trying to get a rough idea of monthly bills/costs and i'm basing it on a similar percentage of my wage of what I would pay in the UK. It would be great if you could let me know if i'm well off the mark or if i've missed anything.

In terms of properties i'm looking at either a 1/2 bed town house or apartment so nothing too special.

Rent AUD 2,015.00
Gas & Electric AUD 260.00
Water AUD 130.00
Telecommunications AUD 97.50
Mobiles AUD 130.00
Car/Transport Costs AUD 520.00
Medical Care AUD 200.00
Council Tax ???

If it makes a difference there will by me and my husband (2 of us), so not sure if for example i would need to double to medicare for example?

Thanks!

roaringmouse Oct 25th 2013 3:11 pm

Re: Sydney Cost of Living and Advice Please

Originally Posted by JDAD84 (Post 10961435)
Council Tax ???

Renters in Australia don't pay rates, the owner of the property does.

skkfof Oct 26th 2013 2:09 am

Rent AUD 2,015.00 - Not sure about rental prices
Gas & Electric AUD 260.00 - Our Electricity is $300/quarter for a family of 4
Water AUD 130.00 - ours is $80/quarter
Telecommunications AUD 97.50 - we pay $90/month for landline & internet
Mobiles AUD 130.00 - We have a joint plant that costs us around $80 month for both phones including calls/texts and the actual handset.
Car/Transport Costs AUD 520.00 - Get a diesel as that lasts longer. I put $100 diesel in my car, which lasts around a month, sometimes less if we travel long distances, which is rare.
Medical Care AUD 200.00 - look for bulk billed doctors etc.

I am in NSW about an hour ish north of Sydney.

RedT Oct 26th 2013 10:06 am

Water might also be included in your rental. It wasn't in our first place (but was very little a quarter), it is in our current place. I think the norm is for it to be included...

Lisa and Martin Oct 27th 2013 12:53 pm

Just the supply / sewerage charge is included in rent. Your metered use is not.
You also have to put down a bond (deposit).

spouse of scouse Oct 27th 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin (Post 10963695)

Good point - the bond is usually the equivalent of 4 weeks rent, and is returned at the end of your contract less any damage.

You need to factor in your food costs, alcohol if applicable, household stuff (cleaning gear etc), clothing, entertainment such as eating out, pubs, movies etc, personal care items and things like haircuts.

Medical, hubby and I are Oz citizens so have access to Medicare (which is added to your income tax assessment), but we have private health insurance as well which is around $350 a month (for a couple). I don't know about Sydney, but in Perth doctors who bulk bill are becoming rare, although most will bulk bill if you're on a social security income benefit/health care card/pension card. Our out of pocket expenses are around $40 per doctors appointment and around $30 per prescription medicine.

Pollyana Oct 27th 2013 1:11 pm

Varies a bit though, some people have a certain amount of metered usage included and just pay for anything over a certain amount used.

Beoz Oct 27th 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JDAD84 (Post 10961435)
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to move out to Australia at the beginning of the new year. Looking in the North Ryde/McQuarie Park areas.

I'm just trying to get a rough idea of monthly bills/costs and i'm basing it on a similar percentage of my wage of what I would pay in the UK. It would be great if you could let me know if i'm well off the mark or if i've missed anything.

In terms of properties i'm looking at either a 1/2 bed town house or apartment so nothing too special.

Rent AUD 2,015.00
Gas & Electric AUD 260.00
Water AUD 130.00
Telecommunications AUD 97.50
Mobiles AUD 130.00
Car/Transport Costs AUD 520.00
Medical Care AUD 200.00
Council Tax ???

If it makes a difference there will by me and my husband (2 of us), so not sure if for example i would need to double to medicare for example?

Thanks!

2 errors so far. Living in that part of Sydney and analysising every expenditure.

Keep it simple. Make sure your sydney salary in dollars is at least about a 2.2 multiple of what you currently earn in pounds and you are good to go.

Tr1boy Oct 27th 2013 7:06 pm

I've never come across a unit in Sydney that had its own water meter (not saying they don't exist though).

old.sparkles Oct 28th 2013 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10963712)
Varies a bit though, some people have a certain amount of metered usage included and just pay for anything over a certain amount used.

And some people don't have the water charge included in the rent - the only part that is for me is the sewerage charge (and yes I know I'm not in Sydney :) )

Bermudashorts Oct 29th 2013 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 10963755)
2 errors so far. Living in that part of Sydney and analysising every expenditure.

Keep it simple. Make sure your sydney salary in dollars is at least about a 2.2 multiple of what you currently earn in pounds and you are good to go.

I don't have thoughts on that part of Sydney but completely agree that this over analysis is not helpful. As nobody properly captures their likely expenses. Best to do this top down rather than bottom up, that is, so long as the earning multiple is right, things will feel just about the same.