Reload this Page >

Sydney - Commuting from Campbelltown to Mascot

Sydney - Commuting from Campbelltown to Mascot

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

DotSpot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney - Commuting from Campbelltown to Mascot

Hi all

Visa depending, I start my new job in Mascot in November. We're just looking at places to rent, and quite like the look of Campbelltown area (yes we have heard about the bad bits and hopefully will be avoiding them!!). I know its on the East Hills line and just one train all the way (my job is a 5 min walk from Mascot station).

Are the trains pretty reliable on this route? I.e. do they pretty much run to schedule (I will be relying on the train every day!). Is the 1 hour journey in the timetable likely to be close to that mark every day

Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2011, 12:20 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - Commuting from Campbelltown to Mascot

Originally Posted by DotSpot
Hi all

Visa depending, I start my new job in Mascot in November. We're just looking at places to rent, and quite like the look of Campbelltown area (yes we have heard about the bad bits and hopefully will be avoiding them!!). I know its on the East Hills line and just one train all the way (my job is a 5 min walk from Mascot station).

Are the trains pretty reliable on this route? I.e. do they pretty much run to schedule (I will be relying on the train every day!). Is the 1 hour journey in the timetable likely to be close to that mark every day

Thanks
As a regular user of the trains in Sydney you will find them pretty reliable so the time you have should be accurate.
There is the odd problem, but no more than the UK.

try www.131500.com.au for good journey planning options and fares.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 9:54 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DotSpot
Hi all

Thanks
Yes to reliable, yes to timings, yes to bad bits about Cambletown!!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Mascot isn't one of those stations where they put the prices up like International & Domestic is it? I've got my suspicions about it?

Why not live around East Hills/Panania/Revesby if you can afford it?

Try and live within walking distance of the station wherever you choose to live to reduce the commute time/hassle.

And NEVER drive the M5 (unless it's outside the rush hour!)

PS My suspicions were unfounded - it's just the airport stations that they rip you off?

Fare options for Campbelltown to Mascot (42.86km)MyTrain Adult Child Student* Pensioner* Half Fare*
Single $6.00 $3.00 $3.00 $2.50 $3.00
Return $12.00 $6.00 $6.00 $2.50 $6.00
Off-peak return $8.20 $4.10 N/A N/A N/A
Weekly $47.00 $23.50 $23.50 $23.50 N/A
Fortnightly $94.00 $47.00 $47.00 $47.00 N/A
Monthly (28 days) $171.00 $85.50 $85.50 $85.50 N/A
Quarterly (90 days) $470.00 $235.00 $235.00 $235.00 N/A
Yearly (365 days) $1,880.00 $940.00 $940.00 $940.00 N/A

Last edited by saveme; Oct 4th 2011 at 1:59 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:03 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
Mascot isn't one of those stations where they put the prices up like International & Domestic is it? I've got my suspicions about it?

Why not live around East Hills/Panania/Revesby if you can afford it?

Try and live within walking distance of the station wherever you choose to live to reduce the commute time/hassle.

And NEVER drive the M5 (unless it's outside the rush hour!)

PS My suspicions were unfounded - it's just the airport stations that they rip you off?

Fare options for Campbelltown to Mascot (42.86km)MyTrain Adult Child Student* Pensioner* Half Fare*
Single $6.00 $3.00 $3.00 $2.50 $3.00
Return $12.00 $6.00 $6.00 $2.50 $6.00
Off-peak return $8.20 $4.10 N/A N/A N/A
Weekly $47.00 $23.50 $23.50 $23.50 N/A
Fortnightly $94.00 $47.00 $47.00 $47.00 N/A
Monthly (28 days) $171.00 $85.50 $85.50 $85.50 N/A
Quarterly (90 days) $470.00 $235.00 $235.00 $235.00 N/A
Yearly (365 days) $1,880.00 $940.00 $940.00 $940.00 N/A
It did use to be but the NSW government offset it, now its only the 2 Airport stations where you pay the premium.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddyo
It did use to be but the NSW government offset it, now its only the 2 Airport stations where you pay the premium.
Thanks, I was sure I paid a high fare from Central to Mascot a few months back. Don't know why they don't reduce the fare to the airport and see if a few more people would go there. Sometimes I drive down to Tempe and park over the canal from the airport and walk there.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:09 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
Thanks, I was sure I paid a high fare from Central to Mascot a few months back. Don't know why they don't reduce the fare to the airport and see if a few more people would go there. Sometimes I drive down to Tempe and park over the canal from the airport and walk there.
There are plans afoot to have the airport charge reduced/removed as the Powers That Be are starting to realise that its putting people off using the rather excellent train service to the terminals.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:02 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep they've dropped the access fees to the non-airport stations - it was part of Kristina Keneally's failed campaign to win us all over, earlier in the year.

I've lived 500m from Green Square Station for nearly 16 months and used it once, just for the novelty. It was like a ghost town. (The Geek does use it when he goes to Qantas HQ though.)
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Yep they've dropped the access fees to the non-airport stations - it was part of Kristina Keneally's failed campaign to win us all over, earlier in the year.

I've lived 500m from Green Square Station for nearly 16 months and used it once, just for the novelty. It was like a ghost town. (The Geek does use it when he goes to Qantas HQ though.)

Would you use it now that they have killed the gate fee? I would have thought that it would open up those suburbs around those stations a bit. I looked at a great house in Beaconsfield some years ago, but was put off by the station fees...

S
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:24 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
There are plans afoot to have the airport charge reduced/removed as the Powers That Be are starting to realise that its putting people off using the rather excellent train service to the terminals.

I don't mind the fee to the airport terminals, as it's still [for me] much more convenient than getting a taxi or a bus or anything.

I have noticed, however, that the airport authority are now making it very difficult to get taxis from the airport - there's a very convoluted way for the taxis to get onto the site, and they are now only allowed to pick up from a single designated place where only a couple of taxis can wait at a time, so the queuing time can be ages if it's busy. I suspect this is all designed to get people onto the train instead...

S
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:04 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't mind the fee to the airport terminals, as it's still [for me] much more convenient than getting a taxi or a bus or anything.

I have noticed, however, that the airport authority are now making it very difficult to get taxis from the airport - there's a very convoluted way for the taxis to get onto the site, and they are now only allowed to pick up from a single designated place where only a couple of taxis can wait at a time, so the queuing time can be ages if it's busy. I suspect this is all designed to get people onto the train instead...

S
Have they? It used to be right outside the Terminal (talking the Virgin domestic terminal here) with 8 slots which would come in turn and you would be allocated a slot to wait. Seemed to work as it was, if they have reduced it then thats a worry, although you can call a cab as soon as the aircraft lands and have it waiting for you at the pre-called taxi spot.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

That park I mentioned in Tempe, can't remember the name of the road but it's off the Prince's Highway. It's not practical for everyone but I dropped my brother off at the terminal, then drove there and parked then walked back to the the airport. Most people have bags with wheels anyway. I think maybe one or two people who work there also use it?

I think there's another spot near Arncliffe? Airport Hilton? where you can park and walk. I just detest paying any money to Maquarie Bank. I did not know about the prices being dropped at those other stations. I remembered getting the train to Central to Mascot and wondering why it was twice what it would cost me to go to my brother's place near East Hills.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 9:07 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Would you use it now that they have killed the gate fee? I would have thought that it would open up those suburbs around those stations a bit. I looked at a great house in Beaconsfield some years ago, but was put off by the station fees...

S
It was only the other week we got it back from Circular Quay, Swerv-o I often take the bus down there, as it goes from outside our complex - the train would be much quicker but TBH the station was so deserted I'm not sure I'd feel as safe, if that makes sense.