Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 20/03/08

Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 20/03/08

Old Mar 18th 2008, 3:14 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 20/03/08

Hi Folks,

Well after two abortive attempts at meet ups, we need something idiotproof this week.

It is Bats1 birthday this week, so she has the honours of suggesting which watering hole we grace with our noble presence. These are the suggestions so far:

The Belgian Beer Cafe, 135 Harrington Street
The Lord Nelson Brewery & Hotel Bar, Kent Street, The Rocks
Customs House Bar, outside Customs House at Circular Quay

So what do we think? Remember this HAS to be foolproof this week.

Bats1? Any further thoughts?

S
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

MissyMoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney CBD Thursday Evening Drinks 20/03/08

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi Folks,

Well after two abortive attempts at meet ups, we need something idiotproof this week.

It is Bats1 birthday this week, so she has the honours of suggesting which watering hole we grace with our noble presence. These are the suggestions so far:

The Belgian Beer Cafe, 135 Harrington Street
The Lord Nelson Brewery & Hotel Bar, Kent Street, The Rocks
Customs House Bar, outside Customs House at Circular Quay

So what do we think? Remember this HAS to be foolproof this week.

Bats1? Any further thoughts?

S
I suggest stealing Johnny's Union Jack flags and sticking them up somewhere, Swerv-o you wear the Union Jack shirt again, Vix bring every damn britpop card you have and scatter them everywhere, then just to be sure, keep an eye on the door and every time someone enters the room you should all break into "God save the Queen"
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissyMoo
I suggest stealing Johnny's Union Jack flags and sticking them up somewhere, Swerv-o you wear the Union Jack shirt again, Vix bring every damn britpop card you have and scatter them everywhere, then just to be sure, keep an eye on the door and every time someone enters the room you should all break into "God save the Queen"

The idea was to be subtle and try not to draw too much attention to ourselves, whilst at the same time being just obvious enough that somebody who was looking at us could find us...

I'm not sure if this flag plan could be described as subtle...

S
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

MissyMoo is an unknown quantity at this point

The idea was to be subtle and try not to draw too much attention to ourselves, whilst at the same time being just obvious enough that somebody who was looking at us could find us...

I'm not sure if this flag plan could be described as subtle...

S
there just seems to be a lot of troubles every week with being recognised so you're either being too subtle or the new poeple are just not very adept at spotting there own kind in a foreign country
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura about

there just seems to be a lot of troubles every week with being recognised so you're either being too subtle or the new poeple are just not very adept at spotting there own kind in a foreign country
I don't think you can be too subtle! Why bother, the Aussies don't!!! I can't really think of anywhere else, as I said, I'm still quite new and am relying on you guys to show me around!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura aboutBats1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bats1
I don't think you can be too subtle! Why bother, the Aussies don't!!! I can't really think of anywhere else, as I said, I'm still quite new and am relying on you guys to show me around!!
Hi folks, on the subject of ID, I have a small teddy bear with a union jack on its sweater, I guess that (a) having a small bear on the table is pretty noticeable and (b) the union jack is visible but discreet! I will probably come for the first hour and then go off to meet my flat mate for dinner. Anyone else intending to turn up?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

Personally, I prefer Land of Hope and Glory, then we get to do proms style jigging about which will help me burn beer calories!!! We could also make it a rule that we're only allowed to wear red, white or blue!!!!

So where are we going anyway?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:53 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by briwi
Personally, I prefer Land of Hope and Glory, then we get to do proms style jigging about which will help me burn beer calories!!! We could also make it a rule that we're only allowed to wear red, white or blue!!!!

So where are we going anyway?

My initial thought is to go with the Bavarian Beer place, however given the Public Holiday on Friday, I reckon it will be rammed, and you can only eat if you have reserved a table. I largely suspect that The Customs House bar will be the same, so of the suggested bars, I think the Lord Nelson will be the best bet, as it's a little off the beaten track.

What says anybody else?

S
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

vix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to allvix77 is a name known to all

My initial thought is to go with the Bavarian Beer place, however given the Public Holiday on Friday, I reckon it will be rammed, and you can only eat if you have reserved a table. I largely suspect that The Customs House bar will be the same, so of the suggested bars, I think the Lord Nelson will be the best bet, as it's a little off the beaten track.

What says anybody else?

S
I personally think the Lord Nelson is too far off the beaten track and I for one don't want to head into the rocks again....

how about meeting in the The Belgian Beer Cafe, 135 Harrington Street until 7.30 then when Bats leaves we head to Jacksons on George for food and more drinks...?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:30 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by vix77
I personally think the Lord Nelson is too far off the beaten track and I for one don't want to head into the rocks again....

how about meeting in the The Belgian Beer Cafe, 135 Harrington Street until 7.30 then when Bats leaves we head to Jacksons on George for food and more drinks...?

Ok, now that sounds like sense. Nice and central, but not relying on that place to feed us. Jacksons is good for reasonable food later on, so that will probably work.

All we need do now is work out a foolproof method of people recognising us.

Aha! I have one - any new folk thinking of coming along, drop me a Private Mail, and I will give you my phone number! How does that work?

S
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok, now that sounds like sense. Nice and central, but not relying on that place to feed us. Jacksons is good for reasonable food later on, so that will probably work.

All we need do now is work out a foolproof method of people recognising us.

Aha! I have one - any new folk thinking of coming along, drop me a Private Mail, and I will give you my phone number! How does that work?

S
Did I not say the Belgian Beer Cafe on Harrington (and not the Bavarian one ... wherever that is) ... confused again. The Belgian Beef Cafe does food too - I had beef stew there last week, which was nice but don't expect any vegetables in it! You do get the choice of chips or boiled potatoes!! Happy to go to Lord Nelson if that suits more people but my vote is for the Belgian place ... when you go through the door there's an area on the right where there is a glass floor and that might be a good place to meet up as it's pretty visible. What do you reckon?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:47 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Bats1
Did I not say the Belgian Beer Cafe on Harrington (and not the Bavarian one ... wherever that is) ... confused again. The Belgian Beef Cafe does food too - I had beef stew there last week, which was nice but don't expect any vegetables in it! You do get the choice of chips or boiled potatoes!! Happy to go to Lord Nelson if that suits more people but my vote is for the Belgian place ... when you go through the door there's an area on the right where there is a glass floor and that might be a good place to meet up as it's pretty visible. What do you reckon?

Yes, I meant the Belgian. I'm starting to get confused by all these different countries beginning with 'B' beer cafes! The one on Harrington street.

I know the one you mean - it is not far from The Rocks, just off of George Street. They do excellent food there, but only a limited range of food if you haven't booked a table. There is an area just near the front, where there are some bar tables and stools, near to the glass floor, so meeting there would be a good plan.

Are you going to bring the bear, or can you not face it? If not, then give me a call, and we will attempt to locate you via text or some other medium.

From 6:30?

S
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I meant the Belgian. I'm starting to get confused by all these different countries beginning with 'B' beer cafes! The one on Harrington street.

I know the one you mean - it is not far from The Rocks, just off of George Street. They do excellent food there, but only a limited range of food if you haven't booked a table. There is an area just near the front, where there are some bar tables and stools, near to the glass floor, so meeting there would be a good plan.

Are you going to bring the bear, or can you not face it? If not, then give me a call, and we will attempt to locate you via text or some other medium.

From 6:30?

S
Hey, I'm not ashamed of my bear! He's in ... drinks Hoegaarden white beer! Although as he's a Yorkshire bear he would rather be drinking Black Sheep! See you near the glass bit at 6.30!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

Glad I didn't come out last week - that's the pub I thought you were going to last week (where on earth is O'Connell St then?). See you at 6.30ish, I'll be the one with the suntan who's still faintly smelling of Pad Thai!!!!
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by briwi
Glad I didn't come out last week - that's the pub I thought you were going to last week (where on earth is O'Connell St then?). See you at 6.30ish, I'll be the one with the suntan who's still faintly smelling of Pad Thai!!!!
Hitting the sack now but me and the bear will be there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.