Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Burbs - Prestons, your opinions please.

Sydney Burbs - Prestons, your opinions please.

Old Dec 8th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Sydney Burbs - Prestons, your opinions please.

Posted a few times on here regarding a possible move to Sydney in the new year.
Well our flights are booked for a 2 week Recce in Jan 08
Whilst we are there we will be looking at areas to live.
My Office is based in Padstow so ideally we'll be looking for a place in the West of the City.

Using Realestate.au to gauge rental prices it seems that the further west you go the more reasonable the price for the size of house you get.

My OH seems to have fallen in love with some places in prestons and they fit the budget quite well, but obviously we have no idea what the area is like ?

This is where my esteemed friends on BE come in.

Please give me your opinions on the area and also an indication of travel time via car from Prestons to Padstow would be really useful

Thanks

Stu
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney Burbs - Prestons, your opinions please.

bump
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stu

I don't know that particular area well and there's nothing like having a look yourself......however, I would say it would be one of the less well thought of places in Sydney to live.

That said, we all look for different things in a suburb and what suits one person perfectly, another would not consider. When you get here for your reccie, take a drive around and get a feel for the place. If you think you might like to live there, then try out the traffic, setting out at whatever time of morning you think you will need to, to get to work. It says 15 mins on "whereis", but I usually find you can add on at least a third again at quiet times of the day and at least double that at rush hour.

Hope that helps a bit. I am sure other people will have suggestions for you.

Good luck

Rudi
Old Dec 10th 2007, 8:00 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

We had a look a Prestons when were looking. We knocked it back as it is a a lot of big houses, small blocks and no landscaping to speak of. Overall it just wasn't appealing.
We ended up 10mins down Camden Valley Way in Harrington Park, search for postcode 2567. It caught our attention as it is pretty well laid out, cycleways, parks, school & shopping centre and a couple of lakes. Houses are a bit cheaper and we felt of a higher standard. Narellan / Camden / Campbeltown are all within 15mins for bigger shopping trips, cinema etc. Whole area is very countryfied. Downtown Sydney is about 50mins on a clear run. Nearest beach about 35 - 40mins.
I work at the airport so going the CVW and M5 takes me about 35mins at 05:00, coming home around 5pm about an hour. Padstow would probably take 20 -25mins. However if you start at 9am expect it to be more like 45 - 60mins......bloody M5, worst "designed" motorway anywhere, you'll see. There is however the trains from Macarthur or Campbeltown on the same line as Padstow (or close by) which maybe a little less frustrating.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom

thats brilliant mate, thanks a lot for your help

Stu