Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Brissie, suggestions please

Wikiposts

Sydney to Brissie, suggestions please

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice
Default Sydney to Brissie, suggestions please

Things are finally getting tied up here,

We SHOULD (or should I say might) be exchanging today, shippers are provisionally booked for May 3/4th, complete 5th or 6th, fly 7th???? (gosh it looks scary when I write it)

we plan to have a week in Melb, settle in a house, buy what we need to, confirm schools, then fly to Sydney, hire a campervan & spend 2 weeks driving towards Brissie.

Can anyone recommend a hire car company up there? or anyone to avoid.
We'd also love to hear some must see or must avoid places.

Thank you all
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney to Brissie, suggestions please

www.europcar.com.au are always good prices and nice cars. We used them from W/A through S/A to Vic, but they are country wide
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

You gotta stop off in Byron Bay. Deffo
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:56 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough

May sound silly but alot of journeys in Australia are one way and the rental car has to be returned to the place where it was originally hired.

If you go to any car rental place you will be able to hire a "return" for around half price or even cheaper.

Me and friends returned a 4 sleeper van to adelaide from cairns for $8 a day.
Fair enough that we had to pay for the petrol but we had 5 days to get it to adelaide!!!!

Saw alot more of Australia than i ever thought.

PS the red centre??? VERY RED, (and if i may) BLOODY HOT!!!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Bubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura aboutBubbles has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Sydney to Brissie, suggestions please

Originally Posted by brisbec
May sound silly but alot of journeys in Australia are one way and the rental car has to be returned to the place where it was originally hired.

If you go to any car rental place you will be able to hire a "return" for around half price or even cheaper.

Me and friends returned a 4 sleeper van to adelaide from cairns for $8 a day.
Fair enough that we had to pay for the petrol but we had 5 days to get it to adelaide!!!!

Saw alot more of Australia than i ever thought.

PS the red centre??? VERY RED, (and if i may) BLOODY HOT!!!!!!!

Hi

we have driven up the pacific highway a few times.

Neslons bay is nice - a small diversion, dolphins there

big banana at coffs harbour

be aware of tourist routes - we took one once turned out to be a gravel road which ewent on for miles, did see some country thgough although hire care agreement said no gravel roads!

Tracy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

kateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nicekateandderek is just really nice

[QUOTE=matt-and-jenny]You gotta stop off in Byron Bay. Deffo[/QUOTE

there is a beautiful place called Balina not far from byron bay. it's quiet and not touristy at all. a true aussie place. me and kate loved it, you might too. it has a big prawn. and i mean big.

Last edited by kateandderek; Apr 22nd 2005 at 8:39 am. Reason: want to add
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:13 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

You should try to stop off in Port MacQuarrie and Port Stephens. They are both fantastic imo. Both have some very nice B&Bs.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice

I'm bumping this up, in the hope of cheekily getting more stories.

Thanks for all the posts so far, I would send you all karma but that little box isn't there
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:51 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
You should try to stop off in Port MacQuarrie and Port Stephens. They are both fantastic imo. Both have some very nice B&Bs.
agree 100%
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to suggest that you drive up the Pacific Highway instead of using the F3.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kateandderek]
Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
You gotta stop off in Byron Bay. Deffo[/QUOTE

there is a beautiful place called Balina not far from byron bay. it's quiet and not touristy at all. a true aussie place. me and kate loved it, you might too. it has a big prawn. and i mean big.
OK, if its not touristy why the big prawn
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:28 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: Sydney to Brissie, suggestions please

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I'd like to suggest that you drive up the Pacific Highway instead of using the F3.

The F3 doesn't cover the Sydney to Brisbane route. Wake up Australia (well, Gibbo at least!!!)

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader

The F3 doesn't cover the Sydney to Brisbane route. Wake up Australia (well, Gibbo at least!!!)

Most people heading north from Sydney take the F3 - I did not suggest that it covered the entire route to Brisbane. What I was suggesting was that the "old" Pacific Highway was a better choice for people to see a bit of the countryside. I apologise for not being more explicit.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
OK, if its not touristy why the big prawn
So that the "tourists" driving through, know where to stop and buy the prawns

comparisons to the great Sphinx are not wholly inappropriate here, as the Prawn is also best seen by night, when it is garishly illuminated, shocking drivers into wide-awakefulness, scaring small children, and inspiring awe and wonder. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~arundell/prawn.htm

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 11:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

ROLMAO!!!

Check this bit..................

Indeed, comparisons to
the great Sphinx are not wholly inappropriate here, as the Prawn is also
best seen by night, when it is garishly illuminated, shocking drivers into
wide-awakefulness, scaring small children, and inspiring awe and wonder. One
can only hope that it endures as long as the Sphinx has, so that future
generations have both a monument to and reminder of the things that made
Australia great.

.................................................. .........
I am laughing out loud, OMG, please tell me thats a joke, its so funny

I may have to make a special trip from the gold coast in September, to view it properly, after all i've seen the spinx, i can hardly wait PMSL!!!!