Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Brisbane Move

Sydney to Brisbane Move

Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all
Default Sydney to Brisbane Move

Hi all,

My wife and I have been in Sydney for just over 3 years now and are contemplating a move to Brisbane next year for a change of life.

The driving factors behind the move are:

- we own an apartment here, want to buy a house but believe house prices are prohibitively expensive and Brisbane offers more bang for buck
- my wife runs an online business so only one of us has to be city dependent. Upon some chats with colleagues, friends and online searches, I suspect I should be able to get a job in Brissie in my field (although probably not immediately)
- both prefer warmer climates. Winter this year in Sydney seems to have grown an additional extension
- we are over large cities - currently spending over 2 hours/day commuting

We are heading up in Jan for a week long holiday to look around and get a feel for some of the suburbs. We like suburbs with good shops, cafes etc. Note that we do not have children but are planning to in the next year or two.

So, my question is, have any of you moved from Sydney to Brisbane and what were the pros and cons? Also just after general comments about Brisbane, comparisons of the suburbs, cost of living comparisons, any other thoughts etc.

Appreciate any feedback
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney to Brisbane Move

Originally Posted by GreenMan72 View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I have been in Sydney for just over 3 years now and are contemplating a move to Brisbane next year for a change of life.

The driving factors behind the move are:

- we own an apartment here, want to buy a house but believe house prices are prohibitively expensive and Brisbane offers more bang for buck
- my wife runs an online business so only one of us has to be city dependent. Upon some chats with colleagues, friends and online searches, I suspect I should be able to get a job in Brissie in my field (although probably not immediately)
- both prefer warmer climates. Winter this year in Sydney seems to have grown an additional extension
- we are over large cities - currently spending over 2 hours/day commuting

We are heading up in Jan for a week long holiday to look around and get a feel for some of the suburbs. We like suburbs with good shops, cafes etc. Note that we do not have children but are planning to in the next year or two.

So, my question is, have any of you moved from Sydney to Brisbane and what were the pros and cons? Also just after general comments about Brisbane, comparisons of the suburbs, cost of living comparisons, any other thoughts etc.

Appreciate any feedback
We moved up from Sydney a few years ago and have no regrets. Our situation was a little different - we have kids!

We just find the lifestyle a little more laid back up here. We also prefer the climate - we were north west of Sydney - so had hot summers and cold winters. Here we find it's a bit less extreme.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Dec 14th 2011, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
We moved up from Sydney a few years ago and have no regrets. Our situation was a little different - we have kids!

We just find the lifestyle a little more laid back up here. We also prefer the climate - we were north west of Sydney - so had hot summers and cold winters. Here we find it's a bit less extreme.

Love

Rudi
x
Thanks

I think the drawcard for us is the more relaxed lifestyle. Several years back we preferred a faster pace of life, but now we want something quieter and warmer. I get SAD and have struggled through the cool gloomy spells we've had here lately.

Also we haven't been in Sydney long enough to get firmly entrenched so decided to make a move before it is too late!

I will miss the harbour and beaches, but feel optimistic about the move north. 26c sea temps in summertime on the Gold Coast are mightily appealing also

Do you have any tips or thoughts on the suburbs of Brissie? We are after an area that has a lot of cafes, restaurants etc, and is fairly suburban and not too far out from the CBD (well at least the closest matching suburb(s)).
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:31 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

I think the drawcard for us is the more relaxed lifestyle. Several years back we preferred a faster pace of life, but now we want something quieter and warmer. I get SAD and have struggled through the cool gloomy spells we've had here lately.

Also we haven't been in Sydney long enough to get firmly entrenched so decided to make a move before it is too late!

I will miss the harbour and beaches, but feel optimistic about the move north. 26c sea temps in summertime on the Gold Coast are mightily appealing also

Do you have any tips or thoughts on the suburbs of Brissie? We are after an area that has a lot of cafes, restaurants etc, and is fairly suburban and not too far out from the CBD (well at least the closest matching suburb(s)).
Hamilton, New Farm, Milton are three suburbs that fit that profile - there are tons more but these sprang to mind first!

I swim on the Sunshine Coast in mid-July - rarely lower than 18 degree water - lovely!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Look at Bulimba and Hawthorne - great area forcouples and young kids. Fab restaurants and into city on the river cat. We live out on the water inManly - great for primary age kids but probably too quiet for you.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:42 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Brisbane is not that small and the traffic is getting worse by the day. Cycle the 20ks to work because it's quicker then driving.

we are over large cities - currently spending over 2 hours/day commuting
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Definitely keen to check these areas out by foot, plus keen to see what the public transport as well as the general vibe is like.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Good active suburbs with the ability to put the car away for extended periods, shops, restaurants and on a good commuter train, bus, citycat ferry line, bikeway include Rosalie at Paddington, Red Hill, Kelvin Grove, Auchenflower, Toowong, Taringa, Indooroopilly, New Farm, Teneriffe, St Lucia, pockets of Ashgrove, Bulimba, South Brisbane, West End, Highgate Hill etc.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 16th 2011 at 7:32 am.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

We live in Toowong near Targina and Indooroopilly and we love it. Lots of shops and cafes and my husband doesn't have a car and uses public transport every day. It takes him 7 minutes from the Taringa station to get into the CBD. Lots of fantastic state and private schools in this area as well.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's Bulimba:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ba#post9486480
Old Dec 16th 2011, 7:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
Bulimba, Hawthorne, Balmoral are all $$$ however perhaps Morningside and Seven Hills are a bit more mid range and still within striking distance of Oxford St.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
Bulimba, Hawthorne, Balmoral are all $$$ however perhaps Morningside and Seven Hills are a bit more mid range and still within striking distance of Oxford St.
Yeah, that could probably go for most of the other suburbs listed as well...sometimes pays to look next door. Though saying that prices have come down a lot and places like this in Balmoral would probably seem pretty good value to someone looking anywhere near Sydney: http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...oral-109001531