Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney or Brisbane????

Sydney or Brisbane????

Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney or Brisbane????

Originally Posted by alkristensen
i understand, i took dont like the shallowness of what you have to earn to live there but i like the feel of the street of burton road.

its the sort of street i want to be able to walk/bus to in five minutes.

you decribe the area i like there in hamilton. i will seriously check it out.

We like eating out, not at cafes and chippies like we are on hols but in nice independnt restaurants that have a variety of food, like mongolian or vietnamese, thai or peruvian etc as well as traditional stuff cooked well. I dont mind as long as its good food what the place looks like.

I dont want just one or 2 cafes sat with workers and old biddies like in withington where my shop is.

I will find it and have had a few great areas said.

So far......

Hamilton near newcastle
Bulimba
Morningside
Balmoral.

I know i like New Farm (not sure what you mean dagboy about sleazy, its more like altrincham !!) and i like that its 2 minutes from fortitude valley which is like camden or northern quarter manchester.

In sydney, to rent, Balmain, Manly, ad Darlnghurst etc.

To buy.............................. nowhere
Maybe sutherlandshire. Dunno yet, the house prices are ok and its supposed to be pretty and less than an hour into town so ill see that
Campbelltown. Way too far out and supposed to be full of white goods and furniture shops(so im told)

Bankstown. Id be a frowned apon ethnic minority(so im told)

Melboune, lke south yarra. didnt go anywhere else except st.kida and it was pleasant but not my cup of tea

All the rest are too far out or too expensive.

Unless someone can shed light in a pm if they know of such an area or disagree on the above posting please do so asit may shed light on any other areas i have ovelooked.

I see not many sydneyites shouting off about thier area, is this cause they are too busy for these sites LOL

al
Good luck Al in your search.

Give us a shout if you need any help or info on areas near me!!

Nikki
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:31 am
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

i understand, i took dont like the shallowness of what you have to earn to live there but i like the feel of the street of burton road.

its the sort of street i want to be able to walk/bus to in five minutes.

you decribe the area i like there in hamilton. i will seriously check it out.

We like eating out, not at cafes and chippies like we are on hols but in nice independnt restaurants that have a variety of food, like mongolian or vietnamese, thai or peruvian etc as well as traditional stuff cooked well. I dont mind as long as its good food what the place looks like.

I dont want just one or 2 cafes sat with workers and old biddies like in withington where my shop is.

I will find it and have had a few great areas said.

So far......

Hamilton near newcastle
Bulimba
Morningside
Balmoral.

I know i like New Farm (not sure what you mean dagboy about sleazy, its more like altrincham !!) and i like that its 2 minutes from fortitude valley which is like camden or northern quarter manchester.

In sydney, to rent, Balmain, Manly, ad Darlnghurst etc.

To buy.............................. nowhere
Maybe sutherlandshire. Dunno yet, the house prices are ok and its supposed to be pretty and less than an hour into town so ill see that
Campbelltown. Way too far out and supposed to be full of white goods and furniture shops(so im told)

Bankstown. Id be a frowned apon ethnic minority(so im told)

Melboune, lke south yarra. didnt go anywhere else except st.kida and it was pleasant but not my cup of tea

All the rest are too far out or too expensive.

Unless someone can shed light in a pm if they know of such an area or disagree on the above posting please do so asit may shed light on any other areas i have ovelooked.

I see not many sydneyites shouting off about thier area, is this cause they are too busy for these sites LOL

al

Sutherlandshire definitely, only 40 mins by train to CBD and 10mins to beach.......but shhhhhhhhh don't tell everyone as they might all want to come and spoil our lovely shire

On a serious note though no good for singles IMO, look at northern beaches ect, couples with families ect will love the sutherlandshire that's for sure, white anglo saxon area with great schools and a great big westfields shopping centre utter bliss for shopaholics Also not too far from the airport only a 20 min drive.

I love the double bay area, or lane cove but cannot afford to buy there unfortunately
Old Feb 4th 2007, 12:34 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Milo
Sutherlandshire definitely, only 40 mins by train to CBD and 10mins to beach.......but shhhhhhhhh don't tell everyone as they might all want to come and spoil our lovely shire

On a serious note though no good for singles IMO, look at northern beaches ect, couples with families ect will love the sutherlandshire that's for sure, white anglo saxon area with great schools and a great big westfields shopping centre utter bliss for shopaholics Also not too far from the airport only a 20 min drive.

I love the double bay area, or lane cove but cannot afford to buy there unfortunately
Thanks, and you are qute rare as the only one from sydney that has talked about your own area!! What does that say to me.

Plenty of people talking about brissie and mellie and not many talkin about sydney.

obviously out of my price range or people dont have strong enough views about ther area to try to convince me how good it is.

thanks for all the suggestions, keep em coming if there are more.

al
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:06 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Milo;4362440]white anglo saxon area[QUOTE]

Hi Milo,

Hope you don't mind me asking but is there any Racism in the Shire... we are of mixed nationality and I love the area been researching Bonnet Bay etc...
I have heard stories of racism but how much of it is true. I do not know!

Could you possibly shed some light on the area?

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Thanks, and you are qute rare as the only one from sydney that has talked about your own area!! What does that say to me.

al
You'll find not many Sydneysiders have replied as to be perfectly honest your wish list and budget for buying a house don't fit in Sydney.

The areas you'd like in Sydney (and you'd really like them from the sound of your wish list) are unfortunately liked by lots of other peeps with more money so you really wouldn't get a look in. You say you wouldn't want to purchase a unit only house, well prices in the inner city suburbs (Balmain, Paddington, Potts Point, Surry Hills etc) for a 2 bed place will start at a minimum of $800K - seriously over your budget. Sorry to be harsh but it's true.

You can't afford Sydney unless you compromise on your wish list, if you won't compromise then you're wasting your time looking in Sydney for your tastes. The phrase "Champagne tastes but beer money" springs to mind.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hubbard
You'll find not many Sydneysiders have replied as to be perfectly honest your wish list and budget for buying a house don't fit in Sydney.

The areas you'd like in Sydney (and you'd really like them from the sound of your wish list) are unfortunately liked by lots of other peeps with more money so you really wouldn't get a look in. You say you wouldn't want to purchase a unit only house, well prices in the inner city suburbs (Balmain, Paddington, Potts Point, Surry Hills etc) for a 2 bed place will start at a minimum of $800K - seriously over your budget. Sorry to be harsh but it's true.

You can't afford Sydney unless you compromise on your wish list, if you won't compromise then you're wasting your time looking in Sydney for your tastes. The phrase "Champagne tastes but beer money" springs to mind.
Those were my thoughts, too.

I'm in Coogee which would also suit Al to a 'T'. There are heaps of people that fit his demographic, it has a fantastic range of dining/drinking options, it's within 30 mins of the CBD etc AND has the beach.

Unfortunately, it's way over the budget (hardly any houses for less than $1m here) so no point in pushing it.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. You can also say the same about all village-like suburbs very close to the city in Melbourne and Brisbane - the wish list is just too long and in my opinion quite difficult to achieve unless you're ready to compromise.

Mrs JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Feb 4th 2007 at 11:02 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:02 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Another person who has to agree with this - I could tell you all about the delights of the Balmain penisula, and you could find out yourself by renting a house round here for a while, you could probably find one around $450 a week mark (unrenovated). But if you want to buy you'll have to compromise as I said on another thread and live on a busy road, in something on the smaller side, or one of the suburbs nearby like Lilyfield.

You wouldn't expect to be able to live in some of the more popular locations in London such as Notting Hill on a limited budget - well, Sydney's affordabilty is even less than London and you'll just have to do what other people in Sydney do and compromise. Live in a unit or crap house in a favoured location, or live in a nice house in a not so favoured location. Or win the Lotto.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:46 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Thats cool, only finding out stuff for now. you never know there may have been an up and coming area that was cheaper

Its not harsh at all, im a realist ats why im doing my research now instead of getting caught with my pants down when i m there and getting over excited and doing the opposite of what we plan to do

Thanks for all your comments, real common sense. We do have more money to invest but id be a fool to myself if i had to work all hours to pay off a notting hill style mortgage when i have come from owning a business working 2 days a week and living very comfortably.

We will stay in syd and have some fun for a while, but buying there would be a bad investment for just one house/unit when we can buy 3x3 bedroom houses in brisbane and live in one rent and mortgage free over busting my balls to be in a "trendy" is a realisation that im learning fast.

This is what this thread is all about really. Just making our minds up and i think you have ALL helped me decide that its a no brainer to look elsewhere to buy.

Can you play lotto from the uk in oz if you are resident LOL

Thanks alot

al

Last edited by alkristensen; Feb 4th 2007 at 11:50 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by chels
Another person who has to agree with this - I could tell you all about the delights of the Balmain penisula, and you could find out yourself by renting a house round here for a while, you could probably find one around $450 a week mark (unrenovated). But if you want to buy you'll have to compromise as I said on another thread and live on a busy road, in something on the smaller side, or one of the suburbs nearby like Lilyfield.

Thanks for this info, we can compromise to rent, but not buy. we dont want to be tied up to one house which i hope you can understand.

You wouldn't expect to be able to live in some of the more popular locations in London such as Notting Hill on a limited budget - well, Sydney's affordabilty is even less than London and you'll just have to do what other people in Sydney do and compromise. Live in a unit or crap house in a favoured location, or live in a nice house in a not so favoured location. Or win the Lotto.
LOL, yep ill try but there is still money to be made by not sticking al our eggs in one basket.

cheers

al
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Thats cool, only finding out stuff for now. you never know there may have been an up and coming area that was cheaper

Its not harsh at all, im a realist ats why im doing my research now instead of getting caught with my pants down when i m there and getting over excited and doing the opposite of what we plan to do

Thanks for all your comments, real common sense. We do have more money to invest but id be a fool to myself if i had to work all hours to pay off a notting hill style mortgage when i have come from owning a business working 2 days a week and living very comfortably.

We will stay in syd and have some fun for a while, but buying there would be a bad investment for just one house/unit when we can buy 3x3 bedroom houses in brisbane and live in one rent and mortgage free over busting my balls to be in a "trendy" is a realisation that im learning fast.

This is what this thread is all about really. Just making our minds up and i think you have ALL helped me decide that its a no brainer to look elsewhere to buy.

Can you play lotto from the uk in oz if you are resident LOL

Thanks alot

al
Hey Al

At least you know now on that side, 5 years ago when we came on hols, wow - the property we could have had and now the price of the same house is through the roof!

Anyway, once you have had your time in Sydney you may feel it is not for you as a place to put down roots. I adore Sydney and the holiday feel I get whenever I am there, when I leave I get a sinking feeling, however, I know I could not live there, (just my opinion!!!). I am spoilt where I am!!!

Nikki
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Agreed. You can also say the same about all village-like suburbs very close to the city in Melbourne and Brisbane - the wish list is just too long and in my opinion quite difficult to achieve unless you're ready to compromise.

Mrs JTL
In sydney yes
Not brisbane

The wish list is there to tick a few boxes, generally the ones important to us first like a bit of life not so far away. The next is that the area is safe-ish. Appart from that we are willing to compromis, but defo not going over our budget. We dont want to fall into the trap of getting a mortgage unless its a very small one of 20-30,000 pounds on our own house freeing up the rest to set up a business each and maybe a sizeable deposit on a house each for our pension fund. I dont want to be alan sugar or donald trump, i want an easy life as poss and this thread has made me believe that sydney is not for us.........for now!!

Watch this space. LOL

al
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hey Al

At least you know now on that side, 5 years ago when we came on hols, wow - the property we could have had and now the price of the same house is through the roof!

Anyway, once you have had your time in Sydney you may feel it is not for you as a place to put down roots. I adore Sydney and the holiday feel I get whenever I am there, when I leave I get a sinking feeling, however, I know I could not live there, (just my opinion!!!). I am spoilt where I am!!!

Nikki
im not busting my gut again, ive learnt that the ard way. Clare got M.E.

We have learned very hard lessons young(ish) in life. The sort you learn on your deathbed. In the end if you are happy thats all that matters.

If you work hard enough you pay for good things in life, if you have to overstretch yourself to reach for the good things in life then you will burn yourself out trying too hard.

Work life balance is our motto now. In the end, you are dead and nothing you have ever achieved will be recognised except if you are lucky, in a history book somewhere. We are all insignificant.

I am not on this earth long, i want all the free time to enjoy every spare minute i can. Buying a house in Sydney will end my free time.

al
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

im not busting my gut again, ive learnt that the ard way. Clare got M.E.

We have learned very hard lessons young(ish) in life. The sort you learn on your deathbed. In the end if you are happy thats all that matters.

If you work hard enough you pay for good things in life, if you have to overstretch yourself to reach for the good things in life then you will burn yourself out trying too hard.

Work life balance is our motto now. In the end, you are dead and nothing you have ever achieved will be recognised except if you are lucky, in a history book somewhere. We are all insignificant.

I am not on this earth long, i want all the free time to enjoy every spare minute i can. Buying a house in Sydney will end my free time.

al
Could not agree more! We fell into that trap in Didsbury, living the Didsbury life, mixing with people who had it all but the reality was they had nothing, marriages breaking up with million pound houses going on the market in order that both parties could buy a house each, you know the kind of crap I am talking about. Bringing up 3 kids around that culture is not healthy. Listening to who has what and who is wearing the latest name etc....

Here we have taken a step back, it has made us evaluate what is important in life, of course we always knew the answer, but sometimes you lose sight. I am not working at them moment, but I am learning to cut back on some things to compensate. At home it just would not have been possible, we had become to engrossed in a lifestyle that required two incomes.

I am of the opinion now that what will be, will be. We are just enjoying the ride and all that it brings. So long as my kids are happy I am happy!

Nikki

P.S. Have seen other threads of yours, I am pleased about Clares positive health news, you must have both had many dark days. But look to your fantastic future and all it will bring.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nikki
Could not agree more! We fell into that trap in Didsbury, living the Didsbury life, mixing with people who had it all but the reality was they had nothing, marriages breaking up with million pound houses going on the market in order that both parties could buy a house each, you know the kind of crap I am talking about. Bringing up 3 kids around that culture is not healthy. Listening to who has what and who is wearing the latest name etc....

Here we have taken a step back, it has made us evaluate what is important in life, of course we always knew the answer, but sometimes you lose sight. I am not working at them moment, but I am learning to cut back on some things to compensate. At home it just would not have been possible, we had become to engrossed in a lifestyle that required two incomes.

I am of the opinion now that what will be, will be. We are just enjoying the ride and all that it brings. So long as my kids are happy I am happy!

Nikki

P.S. Have seen other threads of yours, I am pleased about Clares positive health news, you must have both had many dark days. But look to your fantastic future and all it will bring.
Thanks alot, ditto to all the above. Once you win the rat race, you still are a rat. But has anyone ever really won it and had anything to show when they are dead?

Thanks for the kind wods about clare, as she admits its how she lived her life that gave her M.E.

She was a finacial business analyst fir Marks and Spencers head office for 5 years, the time where it was going down the pan big style. They were already 3 analysts short in her department and she ket getting more deadlines and work on her desk.

She also had a horse that she competed to almost olympic standard in dressage that she had reared from a foal from a trainer/breeder she worked for(she is a qualified horse riding instructor but no money and back breaking work here). Apart from driving an hour eac way to work and doing a high pressure job , she had the horse and a very active social life.She had paid her mortgage off by the time she was thirty though........

One day she got an everyday visus that knocked her for 6. She had an excellent absence record in 5 years she had 3 genuine days off sick. The company doctor made her feel like she was a liar and was sent to her GP for other opinon and theydonrt have a clue wehat M.E. is and it cant be seen via blood tests as its a blockage of your lymphatic system and adrenal exhaustion from going a 100 miles an hour everyday(which was norality after a while).

She asked for time off to get over t and they said to her to go back a few hourds a day and then they would see. She just the same amount of work on her desk as if she was full time and still had the dealine as the same. YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER.

Her boss actually said that she wa dissapointed in Clare that she couldnt get it done by the end of the week, bearing in mnd that she drove for 2 hours to work and back as well.

She told em to stuff the job up their arses and she has never looked back.

She had to sell her house which had tripled in value, her horse and jeep and trailer and come to manchester to live with me and live off her interest as she couldnt get any dole as she had too much savings!!! A lesso for us all there, spunk your money up the wall and the government will pay you to live, work hard save well and hope you dont get ill as you are screwed!

We have waited for her to get fully better before we come so we can have fun, not stick our nose to the grindstone again.

Her chosen career path for oz after we have had fun and settled. Counsellor(part time).

Even the course is done in stages to suit you to do it when you want. Looks like sydney people and areas may beckon after all.She may make a fortune LOL

al

Last edited by alkristensen; Feb 5th 2007 at 12:48 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.