Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Beaches - Family expeditions!

Sydney Beaches - Family expeditions!

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:09 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney Beaches - Family expeditions!

We are hoping to move out to Sydney sometime between May and October this year (and here goes that well known phrase - "when the bl**dy house sells"!)

Being able to get to the beach is high on the agenda, and what I would like to know is: how easy is it to actually get to a beach and be able to park if it's a fantastic day and everybody has the same idea? With three kids in tow and all their paraphernalia (is that how you spell it?!) and of course the obligatory esky full of beer etc, we would get very hot and bothered lugging this too far! Is it realistic to think that the beach could be a regular outing or would it be a bit of a chore? Or, alternatively phrased, do we need to win the lottery to ensure that we can afford a pool and then we can just pretend that we are at the beach instead?!

How often do you go? Just need to know how rose tinted my beach-going sunglasses should be!

Binbird (who promises she won't go near the beach until her Christmas half stone has been shed!)
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney Beaches - Family expeditions!

Originally Posted by binbird
We are hoping to move out to Sydney sometime between May and October this year (and here goes that well known phrase - "when the bl**dy house sells"!)

Being able to get to the beach is high on the agenda, and what I would like to know is: how easy is it to actually get to a beach and be able to park if it's a fantastic day and everybody has the same idea? With three kids in tow and all their paraphernalia (is that how you spell it?!) and of course the obligatory esky full of beer etc, we would get very hot and bothered lugging this too far! Is it realistic to think that the beach could be a regular outing or would it be a bit of a chore? Or, alternatively phrased, do we need to win the lottery to ensure that we can afford a pool and then we can just pretend that we are at the beach instead?!

How often do you go? Just need to know how rose tinted my beach-going sunglasses should be!

Binbird (who promises she won't go near the beach until her Christmas half stone has been shed!)

For a start I would forget the esky of beer on the beach. The local Politzi will force you to pour it away and fine you if they see you commiting such a henous crime.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:21 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah you should'nt have problem finding a parking place, but saying that beaches like Bondi, Coogee are pretty crap for parking.

As long has you have a car there are plenty of beaches, 40 minutes out of Sydney you have the Royal National Park which has some pretty nice beaches or head up towards Palm Beach is also pretty nice.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:47 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
For a start I would forget the esky of beer on the beach. The local Politzi will force you to pour it away and fine you if they see you commiting such a henous crime.
I know booze is a no no but there would be bottles of something loaded in the esky to keep us all hydrated - I don't reckon on the seawater tasting that nice! And no, I don't want details thanks! Just seeing all those blue jellyfish things was enough to keep me away from the water. Is that sort of thing a year round problem too?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:03 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I know booze is a no no but there would be bottles of something loaded in the esky to keep us all hydrated - I don't reckon on the seawater tasting that nice! And no, I don't want details thanks! Just seeing all those blue jellyfish things was enough to keep me away from the water. Is that sort of thing a year round problem too?
Don't pay that too much attention, people do drink on the beach. As long as you're not making a nuisance, the police probably won't bother you.
We only saw bluebottles around Oct/Nov depending on sea conditions.
Since we live on the beach it is easy for us to get there. If you avoid the herds going to Bondi or Manly you should be alright for parking, though there are no guarantees.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:05 pm
Coogee Rocks

Depends on the way the wind is blowing mostly... We walk to the beach and the big sea water swimming pool's on the coast... Youll find parking you just may have to search around - thats if you dont live close enough to walk!

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:17 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Sounds great to me .If people want to drink beer they should go to the pub.
The beach should be a family place where people can enjoy going swimming
and surfing etc. without having to put up with drunks fighting, swearing, vomiting and leaving beer cans and broken bottles all over the place.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:19 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by rapitts
Yeah you should'nt have problem finding a parking place, but saying that beaches like Bondi, Coogee are pretty crap for parking.

As long has you have a car there are plenty of beaches, 40 minutes out of Sydney you have the Royal National Park which has some pretty nice beaches or head up towards Palm Beach is also pretty nice.
The best beaches in OZ are always just outside the capital cities away from the crowds and pollution, such as the surf coast 1 hour west of Melbourne.

Old Feb 3rd 2005, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

The parking is not really a problem - went to a lovely beach 'parsley bay' in Vaucluse the other day, fabulous for younger kids, its netted and there's not much surf - Balmoral's larger and similar with great Fish & chips restaurant.Also Watson's bay - of course try 'Doyles take-away F& C"
Try taking them snorkelling on Clovelly beach - there's a big parking place there.
In Royal Nat Park there's a nice beach & waterfall - Wattamolla but it does get busy (there's barbeques, little kiosk)
Nearby is Garie beach - 'wilder' and better for surfers- there's few facilities there though
We're near Cronulla & like they way you have small cove-like beach for the little one's and then larger big surf-like beach for the more adventurous among us
Have fun!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:37 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Nielsen Park and Balmoral are excellent harbour beaches if you want no waves. Bondi is a nightmare for those who do not know where the easy parks are. Bronte is a great little beach and family friendly but parking is worse than Bondi.

You can drink at the beaches and it is only trouble makers that have alchohol confiscated. Never seen a drunk leary troublemaker on the sand but have seen drunks leave the pub and dive into a rip. They were hicks from the country.

There is a wowser segment in Australia that automatically thinks the availability of booze means underage violent drunks hence no booze sold in supermarkets.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:38 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

North Shore Beaches apart from Manly have decent enough parking close to the beach - some do charge though, PittWater Council charges about $4 for 4 hours on a weekday and it goes up on the Weekend. I am not complaining about the charge just it can be a pain to remember change when packing. As we often do the 20 min drive to MV with our swim suits already on and just a towel and water bottles.

My favourites on the North Shore are

Mona Vale - easy easy access for carrying your stuff down from the car and only have to worry about getting burnt feet on hot days. I also like this beach cause there is nothing around for the kids to spend money on.

Newport Beach and Collaroy - as MV above but a few coffee shops and things near to have a wander if need be.

There are also some decent outdoor pools and picnic areas around too. And most have easy and many car park spaces.

I will admit to actually believing we did manage to get it all - 20 min drive to Mona Vale, decent enough transport to elsewhere for when not driving, 10 min drive to Centre of National Park with river and picnic facilities and a pool at home. I believe there are fantastic facilities all over Sydney and it is just getting it right for your own choices. The beach can be a driving force for when you first come over but if you are not going to use it for six months of the year like us other facilities take precidence.