Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Couriering a bankers cheque to the UK

Couriering a bankers cheque to the UK

Old Aug 13th 2014, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Couriering a bankers cheque to the UK

My building society is closing one of my accounts down, they insist on sending me a cheque, well they have put it in the post already. I need to send it back to my Nationwide Branch in the UK, safely and securely. I want to use a postal service which can be tracked online and requires a signature on delivery which can be viewed online. I know OzPost offer a service for $55 bucks, two to four days delivery. Has anyone any experience of doing this, had anyone got any preferences with regards to couriers? Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 8:18 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couriering a bankers cheque to the UK

Originally Posted by blackcab
My building society is closing one of my accounts down, they insist on sending me a cheque, well they have put it in the post already. I need to send it back to my Nationwide Branch in the UK, safely and securely. I want to use a postal service which can be tracked online and requires a signature on delivery which can be viewed online. I know OzPost offer a service for $55 bucks, two to four days delivery. Has anyone any experience of doing this, had anyone got any preferences with regards to couriers? Thanks for any advice.
I'd save myself $55 and send the cheque back snail mail. If it's lost then you ask them to cancel it and send a new one. I assume is crossed ac Ac payee only?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 8:22 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just ask them to cancel the check and transfer the money to wherever it needs to go.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Just ask them to cancel the check and transfer the money to wherever it needs to go.
Refuse to, cheque only.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I'd save myself $55 and send the cheque back snail mail. If it's lost then you ask them to cancel it and send a new one. I assume is crossed ac Ac payee only?
Piece of mind, i can stomach fifty five bucks.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:30 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Safest way would be to bank the cheque in an Oz account and transfer the funds electronically, through your bank for a small amount, through a foreign currency exchange such as OxForex for larger amounts. Failing that, a courier would be safer than registered mail (which as I've learned to my great expense, can go astray even though tracked and with the signature requirement)

Re the ridiculous, old fashioned method of sending cheques - my super company does the same (for lump sum payments, not regular ones). Scouse got a lump sum - no fee and electronically deposited into his bank account. I got one - bloody cheque and a $160 fee. Not happy.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 13th 2014 at 10:34 am.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Safest way would be to bank the cheque in an Oz account and transfer the funds electronically, through your bank for a small amount, through a foreign currency exchange such as OxForex for larger amounts. Failing that, a courier would be safer than registered mail (which as I've learned to my great expense, can go astray even though tracked and with the signature requirement)

Re the ridiculous, old fashioned method of sending cheques - my super company does the same (for lump sum payments, not regular ones). Scouse got a lump sum - no fee and electronically deposited into his bank account. I got one - bloody cheque and a $160 fee. Not happy.
The cheque is in sterling...Got to use a courier...any safe bets. Will pay up to $100 bucks....
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The cheque is in sterling...Got to use a courier...any safe bets. Will pay up to $100 bucks....
Open a sterling account here maybe. Maybe Citibank?
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've used FedEx before for some legal docs, found their customer service really good but can't remember what I paid. Maybe check out their web site, costs go on weight (as well as location of course) - you can't get much lighter than a cheque!
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:57 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I've used FedEx before for some legal docs, found their customer service really good but can't remember what I paid. Maybe check out their web site, costs go on weight (as well as location of course) - you can't get much lighter than a cheque!

I'd be tempted to place the cheque in between the leaves of a book and then send it as a book to avoid any prying eyes.

I assume that they are sending it to you here in Australia via regular post - If it's made it here once, it will probably make it back again - particularly if it looks pretty innocuous...

S
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:24 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Guys
It's almost certainly a crossed cheque. I'll bet it came via normal mail.
Why is everything thing being complicated and cost added?
KISS
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Guys
It's almost certainly a crossed cheque. I'll bet it came via normal mail.
Why is everything thing being complicated and cost added?
KISS
That's us told

I agree that the cheque would be safe from being cashed by someone else. But mail does go astray, and it's a rigmarole to get a replacement.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:25 pm
Devil's Advocate

That's us told
Sorry, was a hit "direct"!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Well i talked to them last night, they are adament a cheque has been, and will be issued to me and has been posted to me here in Qld. So i await the delivery. I guess your right i coud just post it conventionally. But i want the security of tracking and a signature on arrival. I do not mind paying the cost. I will use a courier, probably FedEx. Thanks for all the replies.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 11:10 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Well i talked to them last night, they are adament a cheque has been, and will be issued to me and has been posted to me here in Qld. So i await the delivery. I guess your right i coud just post it conventionally. But i want the security of tracking and a signature on arrival. I do not mind paying the cost. I will use a courier, probably FedEx. Thanks for all the replies.
Is there a reason you can't just pay it into your Australian bank and transfer it electronically back to your UK one?

I know you don't get a great exchange rate paying a sterling cheque into an Australian bank but (depending on how big the cheque is) it may work out cheaper and less stress than couriering it back to the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.