British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney areas to live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-areas-live-487921/)

Angelica666 Oct 17th 2007 7:05 pm

Sydney areas to live?

Hi all

Its a way off yet but were moving to Sydney (hopefully) we have family that live about 30miles out of the centre, does anyone know of the nice family areas to live about 10miles out, we have a budget of around 350,000 dollars.

Thanks
Angelica

platapus Oct 17th 2007 7:25 pm

Re: Sydney areas to live?

We are hopefully moving to Sydney.My family are around Castle Hill.Also Turrumurra,West Pennant Hills,Wahroonga are lovely.It depends on what you are looking for.

NickyC Oct 17th 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Angelica666 (Post 5437064)
Hi all

Its a way off yet but were moving to Sydney (hopefully) we have family that live about 30miles out of the centre, does anyone know of the nice family areas to live about 10miles out, we have a budget of around 350,000 dollars.

Thanks
Angelica

Unfortunately $350k won't get you a house in a decent area within 10 miles of the city.

You'd either need to up your budget, or buy a flat instead or look further out than 10 miles. Checkout the Campbelltown, Narellan or Penrith areas. :)

mollymoo Oct 17th 2007 10:41 pm

Can't get much in terms of house [3 or more beds] for that amount unfortunately, although may manage a 2 bed unit.....Sydney is pretty expensive, espcially near the city, the train lines, the beach or family friendly areas like those mentioned ......which just about covers most of it!!!:confused:

Maybe look towards the west as suggested, prices are more competitive there, and the areas are quite popular with younger families

Good luck :)

hubbard Oct 17th 2007 11:30 pm

You'd be crazy to emigrate to Sydney with the idea of securing anything more than a 2 bed flat in a pretty down market area (read out west probably about 20 miles from CBD)with a budget of $350K. Harsh but true.

When you think of Sydney prices you really need to think of a scenario of 'could we / would we up sticks and move to London and be happy in the shoe box our funds would buy?' With that kind of budget, and if buying your home is your number one priority I'd strongly advise you against opting for Sydney as a destination. Or if you do come to Sydney, rent somewhere for a couple of years and build your capital up much more. You'll be able to rent a much nicer place in a nicer part of town for a lower weekly rental payment than the mortgage payment would be.

Red_V_Roger Oct 17th 2007 11:39 pm

Not sure about the prices...I think may be your budget is a bit low...

We've just moved here and company pushed us to towards Sutherland, Kirrawee & Gymea areas. We are very happy with the area - 30 minutes in the car for me to our company's office in Revesby and good train connections for my wife to Sydney city centre. The Royal National Park is only 5 minutes drive away and you've also got Cronnula and the beaches.

When we looked round you generally find that the cheaper areas are full of asians or middle east origin people. I'm not being rasist just stating the facts.

On the second day we were here, we had to go to Medicare offices in Bankstown...it was a bit scarry to see so many 'foreign' people not speaking English...

DrWho Oct 18th 2007 1:10 am

Originally Posted by Angelica666 (Post 5437064)
Hi all

Thanks
Angelica

Rent somewhere nice and buy a house to let somewhere where you can afford to purchase... that way you get to live in a nice area and also get onto the property ladder. Renting here is not like the UK... You can find places to rent where the return on capital to the owner is under 2%... Just a thought... :)

Angelica666 Oct 18th 2007 8:28 am

Hi all

thanks for that, My family live close to cambletown I was wondering if anyone could give me a realistic Journey time from Narellan Vale to Sydney central by train Is there a train station in Narellan Vale?, also what is there Trains like- do they run on time? are they busy so you cant find a seat? How long is the journey?

Just a few things to consider!

Thanks

Angelica x

Red_V_Roger Oct 18th 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Angelica666 (Post 5439052)
Hi all

thanks for that, My family live close to cambletown I was wondering if anyone could give me a realistic Journey time from Narellan Vale to Sydney central by train Is there a train station in Narellan Vale?, also what is there Trains like- do they run on time? are they busy so you cant find a seat? How long is the journey?

Thanks

Angelica x

Sorry can't help wrong side of town for us...

@boy Oct 18th 2007 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by hubbard (Post 5437812)
You'd be crazy to emigrate to Sydney with the idea of securing anything more than a 2 bed flat in a pretty down market area (read out west probably about 20 miles from CBD)with a budget of $350K. Harsh but true.

Not that different a statement for Melbourne either unfortunately.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488171

Sandra Oct 18th 2007 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Angelica666 (Post 5439052)
Hi all

Thanks

Angelica x

Train list 1.30 hours roughly in the mornings

http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/t...dir=up&page=06

great site to check out, I have driven to Campbelltown a few times and would not consider it comutable though I know of people who do because of the cheaper housing. There are some lovely areas round here. Do not know Narellen Vale. No train link so you have to add on the commute to the train station.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/subu...Vale#mapanchor

I can see why you would think about the area in terms of housing cost based on this. We did look at this area and housing before coming to Sydney and realising the distances.

Do you really need to work in the centre CBD?