Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney: areas with good schools

Sydney: areas with good schools

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

rotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nice
Default Sydney: areas with good schools

We're on a scouting trip in AU and we'd like to visit some prospective residential areas. One thing I cannot find anywhere is how to determine whether a given area has a good elementary school.

Which areas do you think have good schools and are worth the $$ in rent? Both myself and wife most likely will be working in Sydney CBD, so a preference is on areas 30-40 mins away by train/ferry.

Thank you for any replies!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:10 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney: areas with good schools

Kanballa School, Rose Bay, Sydney

Would recommend this
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rotoiti
We're on a scouting trip in AU and we'd like to visit some prospective residential areas. One thing I cannot find anywhere is how to determine whether a given area has a good elementary school.

Which areas do you think have good schools and are worth the $$ in rent? Both myself and wife most likely will be working in Sydney CBD, so a preference is on areas 30-40 mins away by train/ferry.

Most places in the North Shore I believe!

What exactly do you mean by elementary? What age group?
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 2:39 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rotoiti

Huge area to cover. with pretty decent Bus/Car/Train links for the upper North Shore, I would recommend a look at Killara, St Ives, Turramura, Pymble and surrounds. I believe the primary schools are petty good and much of a muchness. I wouldn't bother paying private for primary but you may want to consider secondary school choice, which may be more difficult, when relocating if you intend living in the area for a while.

A fair few people in my area send children to state primaries but will have places in Private school for the high school years.

Primary school if well subscribed to may have very defined areas for intake - good to talk to Estate Agents if you like an area for help on this but boundaries change. We live in an area zoned for a particular primary which has very good reviews but sent our daughter to another because it was next to the high school my son attended! Can never win.

I cannot comment on other areas of Sydney but have heard good things for Castle Hill and surrounds and I am sure there are other very good schools South.

Some primaries have GAT classes and other pride themselves on sports etc so it may be more relevant to look for the needs of your children maybe?

Any other criteria for an area you would like to live in? We based our location totally on the childrens school - and ended up in burb with no pub! Believe me we have a few friends who think that was extremely short sighted of us two now with 17 and 19 year olds.

Have fun looking
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

rotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nicerotoiti is just really nice

We have 1 daughter, she's 6 now, will be 7 or 8 by the time we arrive here. I guess that age group is called primary then?

Yeah, the pub in vicinity is essential , a park would be nice also. We're looking for an area that doesn't get deserted in the evening.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Some good schools in The Shire I believe. About 50 minutes by train to CBD.