British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney Apartments (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-apartments-686842/)

crocodile Sep 25th 2010 5:33 am

Sydney Apartments

Hello,

I have just arrived in Sydney from India and working in CBD.I am looking at renting an apartment preferably furnished in City area . My wife is going to join me soon.The aprtmnts are very costly in city. would appreciate if somebody could provide pointers to some areas considering the following factors :

- Safety
- Proximity to railway stations
- Proximity to Indian stores

My budget is max 500 pw. Also let me know if there are any discount furniture/electrical appliances retailer who offer discount on bulk buying,

Thanks for the inputs in advance.
Cheers,
Croc

asher Sep 25th 2010 10:39 am

Re: Sydney Apartments

Originally Posted by crocodile (Post 8874291)
Hello,

I have just arrived in Sydney from India and working in CBD.I am looking at renting an apartment preferably furnished in City area . My wife is going to join me soon.The aprtmnts are very costly in city. would appreciate if somebody could provide pointers to some areas considering the following factors :

- Safety
- Proximity to railway stations
- Proximity to Indian stores

My budget is max 500 pw. Also let me know if there are any discount furniture/electrical appliances retailer who offer discount on bulk buying,

Thanks for the inputs in advance.
Cheers,
Croc

charing cross, parramatta, Auburn and Randwick come to mind as places with indian grocery stores Edgecliff has an Asian store so do many suburbs.

It is difficult to say what is a safe suburb as some areas of them can be rough and other areas of the same suburb can be posh

parramatta is popular with indian people

as for discounts for electrical stores i have no idea

Kooky. Sep 25th 2010 11:57 pm

Hi croc, welcome to Sydney :)

We recently bought a place in Alexandria, just south of the city. It's officially the Inner West, I think, but not very far west. We're still exploring this side of the bridge after being North Shore for a couple of years.

It seems very multicultural and might have what you want, if you don't want to move as far out as Parramatta. We just found a decent Woolworths (selling a lot of Macro-branded organic food, great for us!) in a little mall at Marrickville that seems to have all the usual. There are also lots of factory outlets, and retail parks selling housewares, etc., so you should be able to find some good deals. We always use Good Guys for appliances as they'll do a deal. I think other people on here have recommended appliancesonline.com.au too.

Rents go down as you get further away from the city although you do need to beware of the Airport train line as there is a surcharge on it which pushes ticket prices up - I take a bus to work now, much cheaper and less stressful too, I find :) Well, when it turns up :lol: but I've learned not to stress too much about that.

crocodile Sep 26th 2010 12:48 am

Thanks for your inputs guys ....!! I am sure they will help...Its surprising to see that Sydney is so much costlier as compared to in 2006 ...when I was here..

man_called_Horse Sep 26th 2010 1:51 pm

Harris Park or Wentworthville.