Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney is 'all body but no brains'

Sydney is 'all body but no brains'

Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:37 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all
Default Sydney is 'all body but no brains'

Any comments on this?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/061211/2/11q92.html

I have been thinking about giving OZ a go, but having some serious doubts now.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney is 'all body but no brains'

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Any comments on this?

1) Sydney is not Australia.
2) All the things mentioned in that article are a problem in every major city on the planet.
3) If you think moving to Australia means an escape from the everyday reality of modern life in every developed western style democratic country on the planet, then no - you shouldn't come.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Go to a different part of Australia then. Traffic's not too bad here
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:53 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
1) Sydney is not Australia.
2) All the things mentioned in that article are a problem in every major city on the planet.
3) If you think moving to Australia means an escape from the everyday reality of modern life in every developed western style democratic country on the planet, then no - you shouldn't come.
So you agree with what is said in the article?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Same article was discussed last week - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413395.

My opinion (after being here for 27 years) is that Sydney certainly does have traffic problems (what big city doesn't?) but it's still gorgeous and a great place to live...
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by nickyc
Same article was discussed last week - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413395.

My opinion (after being here for 27 years) is that Sydney certainly does have traffic problems (what big city doesn't?) but it's still gorgeous and a great place to live...

Thanks for the link i'll have a read
Old Dec 19th 2006, 2:38 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Does Sydney now have so many poms that they're influencing public opinion?

(slightly-tongue-in-cheek) Big.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney is 'all body but no brains'

Any comments on this?

You have to ask yourself if that person's opinion is truly representative of your opinion.

Since you haven't been to Sydney yet, I don't see how it can be.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You have to ask yourself if that person's opinion is truly representative of your opinion.

Since you haven't been to Sydney yet, I don't see how it can be.
I have been to Sydney, but only briefly. So, before I decide to move lock, stock and barrel, I think it's prudent to take on board legitimate comments, however disparaging they are, before I decide to do it.

I am also thinking of moving to Cape Town. At the moment, that is the most appealing option to me.

The thing that really jumped out for me in the report wasn't the traffic congestion. It was :

Sydney is often described as the most deeply superficial of towns. A party town so enamoured with its postcard-perfect imagery that reality rarely gets an invite

I can do superficial and banal right here in Wellington...

Last edited by Dirk1971; Dec 19th 2006 at 3:30 am.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:37 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

So you agree with what is said in the article?
Who wouldn't, it's hardly a staggering revelation is it? To summarise - Sydney's got urban sprawl, congestion, busy hospitals, self-centred residents, air pollution and unreliable public transport - just like pretty much every city on the planet. I'm not a city-dweller (been there, done that) but doesn't everyone take these problems as a given when they live metro?
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:37 am
Australia's Doorman

I can do superficial and banal right here in Wellington...
Don't move here. Really.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:45 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Any comments on this?

l'll let you in on a secret, theres plenty of other places to live in OZ besides Sydney , many more affordable and much nicer places to live. Anyway you should'nt base your decsion on whether to live there because of one neagative article you read on Yahoo, what large city does'nt have urban sprwal and resffic conjestion?

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Dec 19th 2006 at 3:50 am.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l'll let you in on a secret, theres plenty of other places to live in OZ besides Sydney , many more affordable and much nicer places to live. Anyway you should'nt base your decsion on whether to live there because of one neagative article you read on Yahoo.

Yeah that's true. But with costs of airfare, it's better to go somewhere you think is worthwhile first. Im also thinking Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane etc.

I know this isn't on most peoples requirements, but as an avid surfer my ideal is somewhere where I can have a decent surf. Oh and get a job
Old Dec 19th 2006, 3:55 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah that's true. But with costs of airfare, it's better to go somewhere you think is worthwhile first. Im also thinking Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane etc.

I know this isn't on most peoples requirements, but as an avid surfer my ideal is somewhere where I can have a decent surf. Oh and get a job
What about the Gold Coast near Brisbane, some of the best surf and beaches in the world, regarding Cape Town, l think l read somewhere South Africa is just as Dangerous as Iraq
Old Dec 19th 2006, 4:08 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think Melbourne is like Sydney's ugly sister. She's not as pretty to look at, but she's a great cook, is more intelligent, has more class and is definitely easier to live with. She's good at sports too.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Dec 19th 2006 at 4:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.