Sydney airport

Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

welshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nice
Default Sydney airport

Apologise in advance,

I know other threads cover information on Sydney airport, have found them, but can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking of meeting someone (as a suprise) off an International flight in Sydney before they then get on a domestic flight. Before I travel to Sydney and wait for them in the arrivals hall, I just need to know if the qantas seamless link, is in the arrivals hall or do they go to the transfer desk before the arrivals hall.

I don't want to get a flight to Sydney, wait in the arrivals hall, only to find out that they have diverted off.

The map I found shows it in the arrivals hall, but a thread I saw Tues. seemed to say it was after customs, baggage etc but before arrivals hall. But now can't find the thread.

Appreciate any replys.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney airport

Why not wait at the gate for their domestic flight out of Sydney instead?
Old Jan 11th 2012, 10:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on their ongoing flight number - I bellieve its a flight number >qf500 then they go to the domestic terminal - if its below 500 then they stay in the international terminal there are some very few flights that go direct from int'l terminal but that'd be unusual

To get to domestic transfer on qantas they have to come out through the doors in arrivals at international terminal after baggage carousel where all the people wait & as per normal arrivals then they walk off to their left past the phone shops, burger king, and out into the open air and then back into the building for qantas link.

So if you wait at the nomral arrivals waiting area where all the people wait to see their relatives land then they have to walk past you if they are on a qf500 and above (which they would normally be)

To use the qantas bus from Itnernational Terminal to the Domestic Terminal you need a boarding pass - they will have their luggage with them, they walk to the domestic check-in for qantas transfer s (as above) check in, go through an x-ray as you would at the domestic terminal, and leave their bags, and then they wait in a lounge. At this point you need a boarding pass to get on the bus so you may not be able to join them on the bus - but as someone else said if you met them at domestic then you are allowed to the gate - but - then you run a massive risk of having to find them :-)

Last edited by spalen; Jan 11th 2012 at 10:55 am.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Should be easy enough to find them at domestic - there are plenty of places to identify as a meeting place and they all exit the same place (just like an arrivals lounge really). If you want to spend more time with them, meet them in domestic and you can spend time until they get on the plane otherwise you wont be able to get on the transit bus with them.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:26 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

my mistake - they turn to their Right not their left when they exit the barriers- sorry
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

welshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nicewelshdragon2010 is just really nice

Thanks for the replies

As I will be flying down to Sydney to meet them, I will be going back on thier onward domestic flight, so I wouls assume, But maybe wrong, that even tho I haven't got off a flight, as I would have a boarding card for the domestic flight. I would be able to catch the bus.

Anyway thanks, have got more info outa this thread than out of Qantas.

As the transfer desk is in the public area, I will prob hang around there.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshdragon2010
As I will be flying down to Sydney to meet them, I will be going back on thier onward domestic flight, so I wouls assume, But maybe wrong, that even tho I haven't got off a flight, as I would have a boarding card for the domestic flight. I would be able to catch the bus.
I think you'll get away with catching the bus. Just make sure you have your boarding pass already rather than asking for it at the seamless transfer counter as that's the only time someone is likely to question you. So guessing you're flying up from MEL same day pick up both BPs from the check in machine.

Only gotcha I can see in your plan is if your friend is late or delayed at customs and misses their connecting flight to MEL. This wont be a problem for them as QF will put them on the next available flight which would be very shortly. But in my experience QF are not amenable to you asking for flight changes on cheapo tickets...I've had much more success with that on Virgin. So if your friend got moved to the next flight, QF might not let you move with them.
Old Jan 13th 2012, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

You should be ok at the transfer section with or without the boarding pass. Last week I was flying to Perth - I was coming to Sydney on the bus from Canberra, and the Bus only stopped at International Airport, so I thought what the hell I'll try it. Got off at international airport and walked to the "Transfer" section, no boarding pass or not checked in... they did it there for me no problem, when you walk into the transfer section there is a Qantas woman at a little desk, on the right is for people already checked in with boarding passes (you go straight to the bag drop), on the left of her is people not checked in or no boarding pass (you get sent to the check in desks).

Got on the transfer bus no problem then.