Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - after 2 months - my findings!

Sydney - after 2 months - my findings!

Old Oct 24th 2004, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough
Default Sydney - after 2 months - my findings!

hello there

Some people may remember me, I used to post and then broke my arm 2 weeks before emmigrating so haven't been mailing due to 1 arm typing. Anyway I left UK 20th August and moved to Sydney. And I thought I'd share my findings!! Obviously these are only my opinions and I'm not speaking for everybody before people reply saying i'm completely wrong etc. Its just what I've found and what I think. Not everybody will agree.

Saying bye to close friends and family - the grimmest thing ever and left me feeling truly wretched. But tears dry and holidays get booked to come and visit.

Finding an appartment - we are living in Coogee, eastern suburbs and minutes from the beach. Stacks of appartments some absolute shite holes, some ok. 2 beds range from 280 - 350 for something decent but the more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better - luck of the draw. Renting pretty hassle free and you don't have to pay council tax or water - owner pays these - there is also no TV licence but TV deserves a section all on its own!!

TV - The worst. If you don't like the Simpsons, CSI Miami or anyother crime program ooh or everybody loves raymond then you've shot it. Fortunately the good weather means you don't spend much time in the house! If you do try and watch anything the dreadful adverts every 4 minutes will drive you insane and you give up and go to bed.

Finding a job - I'm in IT support and there appears to be stacks of work. Had plenty of interview offers and 2 contract offers. Turned them down as opted for easy life for a while of general office temping. Boyfriend is in CNC engineering and he too found work easy enough. Wages not as good as hoped.

Expense - definitely seems a lot more expensive than when I was working here a couple of years ago. Some things definitely cheaper others more expensive. I probably feel that more opting for living near the beach in quite a touristy area.

Humour - There is a perfectly good reason there are no decent australian comedies!!! this is the thing we are struggling with most. I am used to working in offices where there is constant banter, good natured p*ss taking and plenty of laughs to be had. But not here it seems. Whilst everybody is perfectly nice and friendly my laughter lines are definitely not going to get any worse.
I have found this in all the offices I've worked in and my boyfriend says he's struggling with exactly the same thing. If you do crack a joke containing any sort of sarcasm, irony etc its greeted with a look of complete bewilderment as if you are on drugs. Making friends is going to be the difficult one as you are used to friends you've had for years, you share the same humour etc and you cannot unfortunately just make friends when you are an adult as people suspect you have some sort of darker motive if you try and befriend them once past the age of 14. Nevertheless I will perservere and keep forcing myself upon people! I do actually have a few ozzy mates who are a real good laugh but they are an hours plane ride away! You also obviously cannot - despite what they do on neighbours and home and away - just get another family and move in to their house which I began to think was the done thing in Australia.

Weather - FACT if you are from the UK you will still moan about the weather. You will just replace 'God why won't it stop raining' with 'God why does it have to be so hot'. Saying that its rained for the last 5 days so I've been moaning about that too.

Hospitals/Medicare - simple enough to sign up etc and I've been visiting hospital often due to complications with my broken arm (on a waiting list for rebreak and pelvic bone graft). Very similar to UK as in they get a lot of bad press etc but generally you may have a long wait etc but they do it and get it sorted and are probably just overworked and underpaid like back home - we haven't yet paid for any doctors visits or treatment despite being told we would have to by people before we came.

Beaches/Sea/Seapools - Fantastic!

Sharks/Crocodiles - Bastards.

Generally though to sum it up I would say it is a much nicer life style, it is lovely to wake up to the sunshine every day and walk down to the beach/along the cliffs. There are stacks of lovely restaurants you can eat at at night and sit outside and plenty to do and see. But of course there are sacrifices so it's just about working out whats most important. So far I feel we've done the right thing and love the lifestyle here and hopefully that won't go away.

Best of luck to everbody moving - and trudi if you're reading this hope all goes ok and ring me when you get here.

Jayne
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - after 2 months - my findings!

Originally Posted by JayneS
hello there

Some people may remember me, I used to post and then broke my arm 2 weeks before emmigrating so haven't been mailing due to 1 arm typing. Anyway I left UK 20th August and moved to Sydney. And I thought I'd share my findings!! Obviously these are only my opinions and I'm not speaking for everybody before people reply saying i'm completely wrong etc. Its just what I've found and what I think. Not everybody will agree.

Saying bye to close friends and family - the grimmest thing ever and left me feeling truly wretched. But tears dry and holidays get booked to come and visit.

Finding an appartment - we are living in Coogee, eastern suburbs and minutes from the beach. Stacks of appartments some absolute shite holes, some ok. 2 beds range from 280 - 350 for something decent but the more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better - luck of the draw. Renting pretty hassle free and you don't have to pay council tax or water - owner pays these - there is also no TV licence but TV deserves a section all on its own!!

TV - The worst. If you don't like the Simpsons, CSI Miami or anyother crime program ooh or everybody loves raymond then you've shot it. Fortunately the good weather means you don't spend much time in the house! If you do try and watch anything the dreadful adverts every 4 minutes will drive you insane and you give up and go to bed.

Finding a job - I'm in IT support and there appears to be stacks of work. Had plenty of interview offers and 2 contract offers. Turned them down as opted for easy life for a while of general office temping. Boyfriend is in CNC engineering and he too found work easy enough. Wages not as good as hoped.

Expense - definitely seems a lot more expensive than when I was working here a couple of years ago. Some things definitely cheaper others more expensive. I probably feel that more opting for living near the beach in quite a touristy area.

Humour - There is a perfectly good reason there are no decent australian comedies!!! this is the thing we are struggling with most. I am used to working in offices where there is constant banter, good natured p*ss taking and plenty of laughs to be had. But not here it seems. Whilst everybody is perfectly nice and friendly my laughter lines are definitely not going to get any worse.
I have found this in all the offices I've worked in and my boyfriend says he's struggling with exactly the same thing. If you do crack a joke containing any sort of sarcasm, irony etc its greeted with a look of complete bewilderment as if you are on drugs. Making friends is going to be the difficult one as you are used to friends you've had for years, you share the same humour etc and you cannot unfortunately just make friends when you are an adult as people suspect you have some sort of darker motive if you try and befriend them once past the age of 14. Nevertheless I will perservere and keep forcing myself upon people! I do actually have a few ozzy mates who are a real good laugh but they are an hours plane ride away! You also obviously cannot - despite what they do on neighbours and home and away - just get another family and move in to their house which I began to think was the done thing in Australia.

Weather - FACT if you are from the UK you will still moan about the weather. You will just replace 'God why won't it stop raining' with 'God why does it have to be so hot'. Saying that its rained for the last 5 days so I've been moaning about that too.

Hospitals/Medicare - simple enough to sign up etc and I've been visiting hospital often due to complications with my broken arm (on a waiting list for rebreak and pelvic bone graft). Very similar to UK as in they get a lot of bad press etc but generally you may have a long wait etc but they do it and get it sorted and are probably just overworked and underpaid like back home - we haven't yet paid for any doctors visits or treatment despite being told we would have to by people before we came.

Beaches/Sea/Seapools - Fantastic!

Sharks/Crocodiles - Bastards.

Generally though to sum it up I would say it is a much nicer life style, it is lovely to wake up to the sunshine every day and walk down to the beach/along the cliffs. There are stacks of lovely restaurants you can eat at at night and sit outside and plenty to do and see. But of course there are sacrifices so it's just about working out whats most important. So far I feel we've done the right thing and love the lifestyle here and hopefully that won't go away.

Best of luck to everbody moving - and trudi if you're reading this hope all goes ok and ring me when you get here.

Jayne
Very honest, I spied one hole tho crocodiles in sydney now come on admit it too much traffic they would have been run over.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good post Jayne. Glad things are going well. Hope the arm and graft
get sorted soon.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:52 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

great post, i found another hole tho
adverts every 4 minutes !!!!!! i thought it was every 2
good luck and if your finding it hard to meet people, get yourself off to the next expats meet

soapy
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:37 pm
Badge

You know something, I often think I am the only Brit on this site that

a) think Aussies have the same sense of humour as me
ie. this blank look which seems to be widely reported, I have never seen.

Aussies in my office have exactly the same sense of humour as me which is a mixture of black dry irony with a bit of observational cynicism thrown in....I piss myself with my boss sometimes. My jokes go down a treat...(!) It's one of the reasons why I like Australia - they do the same line in black, but laid back humour..

I can't work it out. Many people seem to report that scarcasm seems to misfire..The only thing I can feel is that Aussies are good at cynicism, a kind of 'laid back' scarcasm if you will, they're less good at blatant scarcasm.? Maybe it is delivery; I kind of feel that you have to be very dry...too intense and an Aussie thinks you're too serious - or they may not hear if you have a strange accent. We have a English Northern bloke in our office who would be quite funny - i know he is but a) noone can hear his accent and b) he is so intense and abrupt that they think he is serious.

cheers

BM

Last edited by Badge; Oct 24th 2004 at 1:53 pm.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 2:06 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
You know something, I often think I am the only Brit on this site that

a) think Aussies have the same sense of humour as me
ie. this blank look which seems to be widely reported, I have never seen.

Aussies in my office have exactly the same sense of humour as me which is a mixture of black dry irony with a bit of observational cynicism thrown in....I piss myself with my boss sometimes. My jokes go down a treat...(!) It's one of the reasons why I like Australia - they do the same line in black, but laid back humour..

I can't work it out. Many people seem to report that scarcasm seems to misfire..The only thing I can feel is that Aussies are good at cynicism, a kind of 'laid back' scarcasm if you will, they're less good at blatant scarcasm.? Maybe it is delivery; I kind of feel that you have to be very dry...too intense and an Aussie thinks you're too serious - or they may not hear if you have a strange accent. We have a English Northern bloke in our office who would be quite funny - i know he is but a) noone can hear his accent and b) he is so intense and abrupt that they think he is serious.

cheers

BM
maybe u talk shite and thats why u think they are the same as u
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

JayneS

Great post !

We are heading to Coogee, Sydney in a few weeks. Any tips for findind a good rental?? Have a holiday let booked for 3 weeks but need something permanent before Xmas. How long did it take you to sort out?

Cheers
Old Oct 25th 2004, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

hello there

Its just what I've found and what I think. Not everybody will agree.

Jayne
Great post JayneS!
Good to hear someone's honest opinion.
Agree on the humour side of things..!
Old Oct 31st 2004, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

Hello there
will pm you
don't worry stacks of accomm in coogee. we got something sorted within a week so you'll be fine.
are you after house or appt?
how many rooms and i'll let you know whats about and price etc
jayne
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

hello there

Jayne
Good one. It's a very balanced summary of life in Oz (well, Coogee anyway).

On the Oz 'sense of humour' - it doesn't get any better. Partly it's a difference in culture, but also because Oz humour is very basic; they distrust anything sophisticated. And don't forget that Brit humour is self-deprecating - which doesn't fit in with the Aussies' view of themselves.

Badge, the fact you 'get' Aussie humour is hardly a badge of honour! (there was a pun there somewhere...)
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:42 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Jayne - well done on getting sorted with the broken arm & hope things work out really well for you in Sydney! Good on ya for taking the quieter route jobwise for the mo & allowing yourself time to settle in & have some fun. Am sure you'll get that dream IT job when the time comes...

Badge - am with you re Aussie humor, have always found it struck a chord. As one who was brought up on 'Punch' & 'Private Eye', have been thrilled to discover that the undergraduate style SOH, as well as the dry 'Yes, Minister' SOH are all alive & kicking in my Aussie friends. I love that guy who's on radio National at 10pm - he really cracks me up. I do miss those Radio 4 comedies tho' (Just a minute etc) - dunno whay they don't broadcast them here, as I know lots of Aussies would enjoy. They all seem to like 'Dead Ringers' on TV...

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

maetscott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jayne,

Hope it has all been worth it and you are settled now. i found in sydney that as it is a big city people don't have the same small town attitude. you will probabaly find that in places like perth and brisbane cairns etc they may get you a little more
maet
Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't have said it better myself! In a nutshell, nice lifestyle, no humour, crap TV. Good luck with the arm - sounds like you've been through hell with it.