Sydney Advice

Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:15 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney Advice

Its just possible that later this year I could be up for a move to Sydney or Melbourne with work. Having moved 15000kms around the world I'm not too keen to live in a 200 year old version of Europe (Melbourne) but would prefer Sydney.

I've been to Sydney lots but this mostly revolved around Airport/Office/Hotel. I would be working at Darling Harbour and so am interested in thinking about suitable burbs.

I would require a <1 hour commute (public transport-like the idea of ferry rather than train or bus) to CBD, would like to be <30min to beach (am I right in thinking Northern beaches are better?), would like a 3/4 bed lowset, not weatherboard for around $1800pm (rental) pref with pool/some aircon in area with decent state schools. Prefer urban/suburban with local shops, takeaways and supermarkets nearby.

Anyone recommend potential 'burbs and even better if can make a comparsion to similar in Brisvegas?

That's about as specific as I can get. Oh and I suppose less than $30 taxi ride for late nights at office/nights out and burbs with age profile around late twenties to mid thirties
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Advice

Originally posted by jayr
Its just possible that later this year I could be up for a move to Sydney or Melbourne with work. Having moved 15000kms around the world I'm not too keen to live in a 200 year old version of Europe (Melbourne) but would prefer Sydney.

I've been to Sydney lots but this mostly revolved around Airport/Office/Hotel. I would be working at Darling Harbour and so am interested in thinking about suitable burbs.

I would require a <1 hour commute (public transport-like the idea of ferry rather than train or bus) to CBD, would like to be <30min to beach (am I right in thinking Northern beaches are better?), would like a 3/4 bed lowset, not weatherboard for around $1800pm (rental) pref with pool/some aircon in area with decent state schools. Prefer urban/suburban with local shops, takeaways and supermarkets nearby.

Anyone recommend potential 'burbs and even better if can make a comparsion to similar in Brisvegas?

That's about as specific as I can get. Oh and I suppose less than $30 taxi ride for late nights at office/nights out and burbs with age profile around late twenties to mid thirties

Why dont you & Rich do a house swap
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

TRY manly, you can go direct to the city or Darling Harbour by ferry
best of luck.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:17 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Irish Guinness
TRY manly, you can go direct to the city or Darling Harbour by ferry
best of luck.

Could find lots of nice units but few houses for up to $500/week on realestate.com.au Are areas like Dee Why, Curl Curl, Balmain good? I need a house with a yard to lock the kids outside
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Could find lots of nice units but few houses for up to $500/week on realestate.com.au Are areas like Dee Why, Curl Curl, Balmain good? I need a house with a yard to lock the kids outside
Hi Jaya, Dont know about Dee Why, but do know that Balmain is quite expensive,as with regards to units, you are so right,houses are harder to find,you may have to go a little further out.
a friend of mine lives in Balmain,she shares a house, which I might add is very small,so small in fact she could not get all her furniture in to it, and she is paying $175 WK.
Good luck with your house hunting [ not easy I know ]
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:29 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Ages of the children - and would you consider paying for schools?

Primary you will possible quite well set wherever you go, personally I moved to St Ives because of state high schools. Killara is also excellent but these are not on your remit for travel.

Manly it seems then is your best bet for Ferry ride to work. It is not the best city to balance children and work in the city without compromise.

Northern Beaches are the best (personal opinion) as are the schools.

Cheers Sandra
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice surf and beaches up there. Not too sure on the practicalities. Have a look at the trip planner on www.131500.com.au to check out the trip. Manly probably has the type of pubs you are after. You could also go up the north shore line for the quieter life and still be within your beach drive. The taxi cab to the city would be a bit though.

Heading south you could go to Maroubra and be within $30 cab ride of Paddington, Darlinghurst and the city. RichS rents around there. He can update you on the practicalities.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:48 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
Ages of the children - and would you consider paying for schools?
Now theres a point - hes going to have to pay for schools anyway, hes on a 457 visa.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Now theres a point - hes going to have to pay for schools anyway, hes on a 457 visa.
Don't get the point ?? Help !
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

That sounds just about what I think we are looking for. Do us a favour mate, when you find it, get two will you ?!
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by sjn2003
Don't get the point ?? Help !
sjn, in NSW if you are on a 457 visa you have to pay for state schooling. Sandra will be able to tell more, but I think the figure of about $4000/child was mentioned? Someone posted a link to a website about it the other day.

jayr hasnt had to pay for state schooling here in Qld, but if he moves to NSW it looks like he will have to.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:13 am
din
Forum Regular

din is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I lived in Collaroy and North Curl Curl for about 6 month each - and I loved it! Close to Dee Why and all the shops (Woolies, Coles, Takeaways, a nice RSL with cheap food, some pubs. Bus transfer to City Centre not too bad (I think it takes about 45 minutes during rush hour), otherwise bus to Manly and then the ferry to Circular Quay, the beaches are right there. I think < 30 $ cab fare is impossible, but otherwise I can only recommend that area!
Nadine
Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:24 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
sjn, in NSW if you are on a 457 visa you have to pay for state schooling. Sandra will be able to tell more, but I think the figure of about $4000/child was mentioned? Someone posted a link to a website about it the other day.

jayr hasnt had to pay for state schooling here in Qld, but if he moves to NSW it looks like he will have to.
I was on a 457 employer nominated visa for over a year before we got PR. You have to pay for state schools in NSW when on this type of visa. I do not know the facts about 457 Buisness Visas (ie those ones where you are working for your visa in your own business).

The fees for children under year 10 in state school cost us 4500 per child per year as well as all the other costs like trips etc. Blue Robot is going through this at the moment and one of the schools did not charge for some extras because of the payment of the 4500 but I think you might find this dependant on the schools knowledge.

You employer may allow you to claim the fee back through work on a salary sacrifice system - they pay the fees and you pay them back non taxable out of salary. You have to arrange this with your work and they might not always say yes as they will possibly have a cost associated via employers benefit tax.

If you are arranging to come over to work in Australia on a 457 some of these costs can be mitigated through a LAFHA - living away from home allowance, basically a tax free payment to accommodate the move. This is an allowance should be arranged before taking up the post. LAFHA can also be arranged if moving interstate but only if the move is not permanent and your usual place of residence is not going to be where you move to. Anyway all of these are best worked out with your company direct - and their finance dept.

The fee for state schooling gets right up my nose - because you do not pay any less tax being on a 457. You do have the choice of paying for school and the choice is large, fee structures vary from approx $17/15 K per annum to some relgious school, eg Catholic association ones about $2000 per annum. My personal opinion is because of the raft of schools many of them new start ups you do not always get better cause you pay fees. Looking for a school right for your child is a better approach, they vary greatly in terms of direction and emphasis. You should look for opportunity classes if looking for a school for a bright child who needs plenty of academic push etc.

You also need to watch out lots of schools do not let the child start school until the fee has been paid - in the case of my daughter that meant over five weeks. Gits she was crying in the end. Different story at my sons - he started the next day hee hee

It is not a fair system but it is in place and you have to play by the rules of the state. :scared:

Anyway lecture over - tried to be fair and informative Did not feel like it when we paid it!

Cheers Sandra
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers for that Mrs Dagboy and Sandra.

Didn't know there was an issue with school fees on different types of visa. As I'm coming in on a skilled independent with PR I assume I do not have to worry about this.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by sjn2003
Cheers for that Mrs Dagboy and Sandra.

Didn't know there was an issue with school fees on different types of visa. As I'm coming in on a skilled independent with PR I assume I do not have to worry about this.

Also, forgot to mention...our son is only 7mths old !!!

Maybe I should be more concerned about looking into childcare facilities. Hear that's a bigger nightmare :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.