Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney or Adelaide for 6 months over winter?

Sydney or Adelaide for 6 months over winter?

Old Feb 1st 2015, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sydney or Adelaide for 6 months over winter?

Need some help! The grand plan has always been to give up my stressful job in England, move to Australia and take some time off. Hubby can work remotely part time from anywhere. We've fine tuned this to - move to Sydney in May, spend six months there, fly back to the UK for a wedding in late November, return early January, buy a caravan and set off for a grand adventure/big lap.

We own a flat in Sydney which we plan to return to post adventure, but we have good tenants and won't be kicking them out. So we've been looking at renting lower North Shore or maybe Manly, where ordinary 2 bed flats with harbour views run to about $800 p/w or more, which we can afford but would rather not have to! We have some friends in Sydney, but also family in Adelaide to whom we are quite close and are who getting on a bit. We've lived in Kirribilli before so know that part of Sydney.

Today it occurred to us (watching Wanted Down Under) that we could get a lot more for our money in Adelaide. We've no particular ties to anywhere really given we are not yet settling down and it might be nice to spend more time with the rellies now.

For six months May to November, would you choose to live in Sydney or Adelaide? What's the weather like in Adelaide at that time of year? Is much happening then?

If Adelaide, where would be good to live? We'd like sea views if possible, we're city people really but maybe a change would be good, though we would like to be able to walk to cafes or restaurants. We're early 50's, no kids.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney or Adelaide for 6 months over winter?

As you know those months are autumn, winter and spring time in Oz, but Adelaide would have less rain than Sydney.

You are certainly right that Adelaide would be less expensive, and you could consider Glenelg at the seaside, or Norwood and North Adelaide close to the city.

Last edited by aries; Feb 1st 2015 at 10:28 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 10:28 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
As you know those months are winter time in Oz, but Adelaide would have less rain than Sydney.
Adelaide might get less mm of rain over that period but I'd bet it would also have many more days with rain than Sydney and less sunshine.

Last edited by bcworld; Feb 2nd 2015 at 12:01 am.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I would also consider Queensland as that has its best weather over winter IMO. Comparatively warm and dry.

BB
Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:58 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I would also consider Queensland as that has its best weather over winter IMO. Comparatively warm and dry.

BB
+1

Lots of opportunities to pick a spot for some decent winter weather, for less money than either Sydney or Adelaide.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 5:25 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

2 winters in Adelaide so far and my observations are this

Cold at night but mostly glorious days with sunshine and blue skies. Temps during the day anywhere from low teens to mid 20s. Nighttime temps can drop low but not so much nearer the city.

When it does rain, it tends to be short, heavy bursts, rather than prolonged downpours - but they can still happen. But rain never seems to hang around for too long before you see blue sky again. The further out to the Hills you go, the more likely you are to encounter fog, but again, this tends to disappear fairly quickly.

If you are wanting a bit of a vibe and are after a sea change, try Grange, Henley Beach, Semaphore Park. Glenelg is a bit...touristy. If you want to be nearer the city, Unley is lovely but pricey, but some of the surrounding 'burbs are nice and more reasonably price.
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 8:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rasen78

Cold at night but mostly glorious days with sunshine and blue skies. Temps during the day anywhere from low teens to mid 20s. Nighttime temps can drop low but not so much nearer the city.

When it does rain, it tends to be short, heavy bursts, rather than prolonged downpours - but they can still happen. But rain never seems to hang around for too long before you see blue sky again. The further out to the Hills you go, the more likely you are to encounter fog, but again, this tends to disappear fairly quickly.

If you are wanting a bit of a vibe and are after a sea change, try Grange, Henley Beach, Semaphore Park. Glenelg is a bit...touristy. If you want to be nearer the city, Unley is lovely but pricey, but some of the surrounding 'burbs are nice and more reasonably price.
I'd agree with all of that

It was a pretty dry winter this year and a supposedly wet one when we arrived (there were a few heavy bursts and one particularly wet weekend in April). Even though it was dry, it did get foggy driving in the Barossa but only really overnight, and as Rasen said - lovely sunny days most of the time

Henley Square has a few shops and cafes, as well as a couple of nice pubs. There's a few more here in Grange - lovely café on the jetty but never tried the pubs. There's also a Westfield at West Lakes which is just up the road but easy access north or south
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all....

Originally Posted by bcworld
Adelaide might get less mm of rain over that period but I'd bet it would also have many more days with rain than Sydney and less sunshine.
You'd win your bet! Wikipedia tells me that I should expect an average of 13.92 days of rain in Adelaide but only 11.52 days with rain in Sydney between May and October. Sunshine - Adelaide averages 6.02 hrs per day over that period, Sydney 6.55 hrs.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The pull of Adelaide is family (and cheaper rent), the pull of Sydney is friends and familiarity. Nowhere else makes the list this time round!

Originally Posted by rasen78

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'd agree with all of that

It was a pretty dry winter this year and a supposedly wet one when we arrived (there were a few heavy bursts and one particularly wet weekend in April). Even though it was dry, it did get foggy driving in the Barossa but only really overnight, and as Rasen said - lovely sunny days most of the time

Henley Square has a few shops and cafes, as well as a couple of nice pubs. There's a few more here in Grange - lovely café on the jetty but never tried the pubs. There's also a Westfield at West Lakes which is just up the road but easy access north or south
We did some research on CityHobo and that also threw up Henley Beach, Grange, Brighton and Glenelg. I didn't much take to Glenelg when we were last there, I don't know the others but it sounds like we are on the right track. Brighton would be most convenient for the folks as they are in Happy Valley, but there seems precious little available to rent there at the mo. What do people think of Brighton?

Henley Beach and Grange look good, with the latter (and Brighton) having better public transport links I think. Didn't know you were in Grange Sparkles, might have to pick your brain if I may.....

90% sure we're going for Adelaide now, which is quite exciting given we've been planning this for years and never once thought beyond Sydney until Sunday!
Old Feb 3rd 2015, 6:28 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Thanks to all....

You'd win your bet! Wikipedia tells me that I should expect an average of 13.92 days of rain in Adelaide but only 11.52 days with rain in Sydney between May and October. Sunshine - Adelaide averages 6.02 hrs per day over that period, Sydney 6.55 hrs.

The pull of Adelaide is family (and cheaper rent), the pull of Sydney is friends and familiarity. Nowhere else makes the list this time round!

We did some research on CityHobo and that also threw up Henley Beach, Grange, Brighton and Glenelg. I didn't much take to Glenelg when we were last there, I don't know the others but it sounds like we are on the right track. Brighton would be most convenient for the folks as they are in Happy Valley, but there seems precious little available to rent there at the mo. What do people think of Brighton?

Henley Beach and Grange look good, with the latter (and Brighton) having better public transport links I think. Didn't know you were in Grange Sparkles, might have to pick your brain if I may.....

90% sure we're going for Adelaide now, which is quite exciting given we've been planning this for years and never once thought beyond Sydney until Sunday!
There is great transport from Henley too - but Grange does have the train as well as buses. Young spark doesn't drive yet and has managed well with the buses - went to TAFE in Port Adelaide, goes into the city, and West Lakes or Arndale shopping - and it's cheap with a Metro card
Old Feb 4th 2015, 6:06 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Thanks to all....

We live in Aberfoyle Park, literally just across the road from Happy Valley Rentals tend to be quite cyclical in this area, but if you use the 5159 postcode, this covers quite a large area including Happy Valley, Chandlers Hill, Aberfoyle Park and Flagstaff Hill. O Halloran Hill is also close by but you are getting further South. I like Brighton, but Seacliff may have some cheaper options and is just a couple of Ks south.