Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swine Flu - help, did you get tamiflu??

Swine Flu - help, did you get tamiflu??

Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swine Flu - help, did you get tamiflu??

(Im already in Australia)

Hello,
My husband and son both took very ill last night.

I rang healthdirect and they said symptoms were classic swine flu and I needed Antivirals for my son (aged17) and ask for some for my other children who have serious medical conditions.

Anyway I rang the GP, but as soon as the words 'swine flu' was mentioned they abrubtly told me no appointments and I needed to go to A&E.

Therefore I dragged my very ill son to A&E. Triage were not impressed GP surgery had passed us on to them.
We waited 5 half hours with him getting steadily worse, complaining of hard to breath properly and swallow (alongside list of other symptoms)

Finally saw a doctor after 5 half hour wait!
The doctor examined him and said yes I would say he has Swine Flu as does your husband. However they do not qualify for Tamiflu as they do not have lung disease or cancer!

I explained the Nurse on gov phoneline said my son should have it and risk to my other kids with health issues. However they brushed me off completely and told me that their simply wasnt enough Tamiflu for everyone.
But if her husband took ill tomorrow they would get it as they are a doctor and so needed for work

Im shocked as hell, as Ive got two kids at high risk of complications from swine flu.
Also my mother said in the UK, you just ring a phone line.

Anyone have any input and how I might get some asap to protect my kids with medical issues.

Gems
PS, Im not over reacting, hubby and son are very ill and Im worried sick.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

OzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really niceOzJo is just really nice
Default Re: Swine Flu - help, did you get tamiflu??

I dont know what they are but I do know that the Tamiflu is limited in some places to high risk groups only. My OH had all the signs, went to the docs here in QLD and was given Tamiflu straight away. Dr said he was high risk as a bus driver because of all the people that he comes into contact with on a daily basis. I am a nurse and i was not allowed to go to work either as I am in elderly care. I didnt get it. Because 1 or 2 family members has it , it doesnt mean that you all will. As long as the family are taking the usual flu precautions like isolation from others as far as possible, handwashing etc and the usual stuff chances are they will be fine. Swine flu is a strain of flu. It affects everyone differently.

However if kids having hassle breathing...straight to Emergency room

Why dont you think about trying another Dr?

!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

You could try another GP ... or ask for Relenza. Tamiflu is in very short supply or out of stock in many parts of WA, so doctors have to save what little they have for people with conditions such as asthma, who are in the very high risk category for complications.
Bear in mind that Tamiflu only really works to shorten and lessen the symptoms of flu if taken at the very first signs of infection, not when it has already been become established.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Totally agree not everyone needs it. Me and hubby are more than happy to go without.

However one child has rare condition with asthma and always reacts very bad to normal flu.
Other child also has serious medical condition.
Therefore I feel they are more likely to get complications, so want to try and stop it. This was also confirmed by a 2 nurses on the healthcare phone line thats why I sought out help.

I would try another GP but other people at the hospital waiting room could be heard that they too were sent to A&E. I live rural too.

In desperation Ive left a message for the Perth hospital consultant for advice.

Gems
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure it would help them now anyway. There's only a relatively small window that people are infectious and as someone has said, it doesn't prevent you getting it. I think your best bet is a really close eye on both children and the second you think they are suffering, you get them to Emergency.

Hope they don't get it.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gems
(Im already in Australia)

Hello,
My husband and son both took very ill last night.

I rang healthdirect and they said symptoms were classic swine flu and I needed Antivirals for my son (aged17) and ask for some for my other children who have serious medical conditions.

Anyway I rang the GP, but as soon as the words 'swine flu' was mentioned they abrubtly told me no appointments and I needed to go to A&E.

Therefore I dragged my very ill son to A&E. Triage were not impressed GP surgery had passed us on to them.
We waited 5 half hours with him getting steadily worse, complaining of hard to breath properly and swallow (alongside list of other symptoms)

Finally saw a doctor after 5 half hour wait!
The doctor examined him and said yes I would say he has Swine Flu as does your husband. However they do not qualify for Tamiflu as they do not have lung disease or cancer!

I explained the Nurse on gov phoneline said my son should have it and risk to my other kids with health issues. However they brushed me off completely and told me that their simply wasnt enough Tamiflu for everyone.
But if her husband took ill tomorrow they would get it as they are a doctor and so needed for work

Im shocked as hell, as Ive got two kids at high risk of complications from swine flu.
Also my mother said in the UK, you just ring a phone line.

Anyone have any input and how I might get some asap to protect my kids with medical issues.

Gems
PS, Im not over reacting, hubby and son are very ill and Im worried sick.
I can also confirm that Tamiflu is in short supply in WA having questioned the local pharmacist.

My friend took her little boy and they said no tamiflu. She's going to see how he goes tonight and return if no better in the morning.

My other friend had her 5 yeard old go down with it. She then got a terrible chest infection. She had to beg for it for the rest of the family. They've just had a little preemie baby so it was very important to stop the symptoms. In the end all 4 kids got it and all 4 got tamiflu but it took until the 1st kid was really sick and on the verge of being admitted and thankfully they acted quick for the littlies.

So if you think that you want tamiflu for you or anyone else you are going to have to push really really hard for it in WA
Old Aug 10th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
I can also confirm that Tamiflu is in short supply in WA having questioned the local pharmacist.

My friend took her little boy and they said no tamiflu. She's going to see how he goes tonight and return if no better in the morning.

My other friend had her 5 yeard old go down with it. She then got a terrible chest infection. She had to beg for it for the rest of the family. They've just had a little preemie baby so it was very important to stop the symptoms. In the end all 4 kids got it and all 4 got tamiflu but it took until the 1st kid was really sick and on the verge of being admitted and thankfully they acted quick for the littlies.

So if you think that you want tamiflu for you or anyone else you are going to have to push really really hard for it in WA
p.s as a couple of kids have gone down with it in my daughters class today I am going to keep her off for a couple of days to make sure that it's not spreading through the whole class. I know the chances of us getting it are high just in the "wider community" but I don't feel I want to stick her into an environment where its 95% certain. My health isn't great at the moment with breathing difficulties, son's breathing not great due to enlarged tonsils and adenoids and we have a little bubba. Perhaps for some this is a bit over reacting but it's just where I'm at with it at the moment.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

tomcruise is an unknown quantity at this point

To be effective, TamiFlu must be taken within 48 hours of infection. If your GP can't give you a PBS subsidized TamiFlu, ask him.her to write you a non-pbs tamiflu. It will cost $80 (around that anyway).
Old Aug 11th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future

you may want to see this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-21588548/

http://dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/117432

http://www.examiner.com/x-12517-Miam...flu-treatments

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/112627