Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swine Flu - Babies

Swine Flu - Babies

Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Swine Flu - Babies

Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had their under 5's and babies go down with swine flu.

We have been in contact with someone that probably has it (not been swabbed but has all the signs and symptoms) so we are waiting to see if any of us go down.

I'll be honest. I am worried even though it is supposed to be mild. My three kids are under 5 (one only 11 weeks old).

I suppose I am wondering how sick the baby could get with it. My 3 year old is also being investigated for adenoid / tonsil problems that makes it difficult for him to breathe.

I really could do without this and really wish the sick child had been kept at home!

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Old Jul 15th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Swine Flu - Babies

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has had their under 5's and babies go down with swine flu.

We have been in contact with someone that probably has it (not been swabbed but has all the signs and symptoms) so we are waiting to see if any of us go down.

I'll be honest. I am worried even though it is supposed to be mild. My three kids are under 5 (one only 11 weeks old).

I suppose I am wondering how sick the baby could get with it. My 3 year old is also being investigated for adenoid / tonsil problems that makes it difficult for him to breathe.

I really could do without this and really wish the sick child had been kept at home!

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
p.s I have a feeling this is taking off more than people realise in WA. Diddly in the news over this side.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

My neice aged 4 has just had it in the UK. They're not swabbing any more, but it was unlikely to have been anything else. She had the tamiflu drug and was fine after a couple of days. Her neighbours baby has been hit a bit worse by it, but certainly not to the extent of being hospitalised.

The tamiflu drug is fine for all ages, asthmatics and allergies which is great news for our family. It can also be taken while breastfeeding apparently.

Some families have had one or two people get it but not all. Young babies (especially breastfed) often escape without catching things as they are not touch all of the same surfaces, grabbing things and putting them in their mouths (not quite as much anyway!).

Hope you don't go down with it, but if you do it really shouldn't be too bad if you don't have any other complications.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We all had a flu like thing the other week. Took 10 month old to the dr cos I couldn't get his temp down. The dr said it was some sort of virus. We had all the symptoms but who knows? He checked my 4 yr old while we were there too and asked me about how I was feeling...........

Keep an eye out for symptoms and phone your dr if worried.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Are you sure about taking Tamiflu when breastfeeding? I'm pretty sure that it says in the information leaflet that you mustn't because it does go through breast milk and they have never tested to see what effect it then has on the baby. Also, it has never been tested on children under the age of 1 so is not recommended here either.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is worried you can buy Tamiflu online. This place is reliable UK and comes from UK pharmacies.

http://www.ukmedix.com/tamiflu/quest_tami.cfm

Its about 100 UK pounds for one packet that is treatment for one person.

They also do Relenza.

Gems
Ps, I know people who have used this company and it was legit.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:22 am
ABCDiamond

The anti-viral drug Tamiflu will be given away free and without prescription to close contacts of swine flu sufferers in Victorian suburbs with a high number of H1N1 cases.

Tamiflu, which can cost between $50 and $70 for a five-day course, will be given free of charge at 46 nominated pharmacies in Melbourne.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/fr...0611-c4m1.html

Roche, the manufacturers of Tamiflu, have issued the following notice:

Recent reports highlight internet purchases of antivirals with inflated pricing and potentially counterfeit medicine.

In Australia, Tamiflu is registered via the Therapeutic Goods Act, and is only available with a private script, via a medical practitioner and dispensed by a registered pharmacist.
Purchases outside of these provisions are not only illegal, but carry considerable risk as the medicine purchased may not be the genuine, approved medicine.

Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
Are you sure about taking Tamiflu when breastfeeding? I'm pretty sure that it says in the information leaflet that you mustn't because it does go through breast milk and they have never tested to see what effect it then has on the baby. Also, it has never been tested on children under the age of 1 so is not recommended here either.
Yes I have a friend who's a pharmacist in the UK and she said that it is fine. Regulations are different the world over though, so it's always worth checking.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:38 am
ABCDiamond

From http://www.121doc.com/tamiflu.html in London

Tamiflu contraindications

•Patients should not buy oseltamivir if they are allergic to oseltamivir or any of its other ingredients
•It is not recommended for pregnant or breast feeding women
•Patients with kidney problems should buy it after consulting the doctor

Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:43 am
ABCDiamond

Actually: http://www.tamiflu.com/sideeffects.aspx

Roche Laboratories Inc

TAMIFLU is normally not recommended for use during pregnancy or nursing, as the effects on the unborn child or nursing infant are unknown.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding while taking TAMIFLU, talk to your doctor before taking TAMIFLU.

Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Actually: http://www.tamiflu.com/sideeffects.aspx

Roche Laboratories Inc

TAMIFLU is normally not recommended for use during pregnancy or nursing, as the effects on the unborn child or nursing infant are unknown.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding while taking TAMIFLU, talk to your doctor before taking TAMIFLU.
I shall tell my pharmacist friend that she's wrong! You'd think with her working in a hospital and her husband being an A&E consultant they should know, but well, you can't know everything!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:53 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

My 1 year old tested positive last week to influenza A. The only reasaon they tested was because his mum has severe asthma. Mum went on tamiflu. A week later and the littlun is starting to get over it. It was a horrible miserable experience for him. The older brother also got it and is still miserable. I have symptoms and am contagious so have spent the week away from work to stay away from others.

Tamiflu is not for under ones. All I say is speak to the doctor as they often do not follow the leaflet due to other findings and risks.

In fact just speak to a doc.

http://www.tamiflu.com/taking/default.aspx

Last edited by IvanM; Jul 16th 2009 at 9:57 am.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:55 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe ABC posted Roche's recommendation to talk to a doctor who can assess the balance of risks. It is not a black or white issue many would like it to be.
Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
I shall tell my pharmacist friend that she's wrong! You'd think with her working in a hospital and her husband being an A&E consultant they should know, but well, you can't know everything!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

It seems some doctors are giving it to breatsfeeding mothers, while others are not. The very fact there has been no testing done to evaluate whether this is safe or not would make me very wary, DESPITE what my doctor may say.

Saying that, I don't have any underlying health problems so on balance the probability is that if I did get it, it would be mild.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by IvanM
I believe ABC posted Roche's recommendation to talk to a doctor who can assess the balance of risks. It is not a black or white issue many would like it to be.
Yes.

With these things I personally think playing safe may be the better option..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.