Swine flu

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:09 am
Just Joined

cynthiagu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swine flu

Just heard from the news the number of cases of swine flu grow fast in australia since it's winter there, the flu season. I've planned my trip to go there in August. Is swine flu gonna affect my trip? Does anyone have an idea how severe it is in Oz now?
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swine flu

Originally Posted by cynthiagu
Just heard from the news the number of cases of swine flu grow fast in australia since it's winter there, the flu season. I've planned my trip to go there in August. Is swine flu gonna affect my trip? Does anyone have an idea how severe it is in Oz now?
No worse than normal seasonal flu.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:14 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I think that people are starting to recognise that there is no point anymore in distinguishing this "swine flu" from any other flu.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:45 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla
I think that people are starting to recognise that there is no point anymore in distinguishing this "swine flu" from any other flu.
I'm pig sick hearing about it. I think the authorities are telling porkies anyway, s'nowt to worry about.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:45 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cynthiagu
It will affect your trip if you get it, otherwise it won't.

It is worth noting that you will be visting when the number of cases are really expected to peak (as for the normal flu season). If you feel you are susceptible to flu, then keep that in mind.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...018985,00.html
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 7:51 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

I'm just getting over a bout of flu although I'm not too sure if I have had swine flu though as the doctor hasn't tested for it.

This is my first winter in Australia and I haven't had any time off work due to colds/flu etc for quite a number of years but put this down to me commuting to work on the Gold Coast line which is packed and full of people coughing, sniffing and sneezing etc. I felt as if it was only a matter of time. I also had some other time off sick recently due to a head cold, so not on a good run at all.

Next year, I'm definitely going to organise to have a flu vaccine particularly if I am still commuting to work by train.

You don't notice people out and about suffering so much, but they all seem to be on the train!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god my employer offered the flu jab months ago I figured it was good to have some sort of resistance to bog standard flu since immigrating here without any prior exposure to aussie flu viruses. Can only take my chances swine flu, like everyone else.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

teepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to allteepee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Thank god my employer offered the flu jab months ago I figured it was good to have some sort of resistance to bog standard flu since immigrating here without any prior exposure to aussie flu viruses. Can only take my chances swine flu, like everyone else.
i had a flu vac earlier this year from my employer (anything if its free!!!) just gone down with flu but i dont think i have it as bad as if i hadnt had the jab. sore throat, aches all over, totally knackered, headache, fever,(still 38 after several doses of panadol) lethargy, sweats. back to bed me thinks. forget tamiflu, just had a shower and some chicken soup and feel a little better.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

The Aussie media seem to have stopped bothering to report swine flu.

Although I've noticed that the UK media is starting to panic...
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

We had a letter home from my son's school today (he is 10) to say that there is a confirmed case of swine flu in his class. Queensland education no longer follows the steps of closing the school and they are just advising me to keep an eye on Joe over the next few days and if he gets sick, take him to the GP.

I am quite happy with this calm giving of advice and will just be keeping an eye on him. He has a soccer game tomorrow and will still be playing if all is well.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:19 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teepee
i had a flu vac earlier this year from my employer (anything if its free!!!) just gone down with flu but i dont think i have it as bad as if i hadnt had the jab.
I don't believe it would matter. If you were jabbed earlier this year then you received immunisation against a particular flu strain. You obviously just happen to have caught another one

I also get the option of a free flu jab at my work, but I never opt to take it. For me, I'm fit and healthy and not in the listed 'at risk' groups so the way I see it, why try and suppress something that is part and parcel of my immune system.

Hope you feel better soon by the way !
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

vinny1275 will become famous soon enoughvinny1275 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
The Aussie media seem to have stopped bothering to report swine flu.

Although I've noticed that the UK media is starting to panic...
There were 100,000 reported cases last week apparently. What everyone seems to have forgotten is that people aren't being seen by GPs here, or having blood tests to prove that a) they have flu and b) they have H1N1. People are effectively self-diagnosing over the phone (and over the internet now!), so I wouldn't mind betting that some of the people reported as having swine flu actually have something else (or nothing, as they get a sicknote and some nice tamiflu from a phone call, then 2 weeks off work).

They should be sending community nurses round to everyone reported and take blood. That would a) put off the sicknote brigade, and b) map the actual spread of the disease, not just the reported cases. There was a guy on the news last night, who's quarantined himself in the spare room so his daughter doesn't get it - yet he's still managing to do a video diary and upload it to the internet... Last time I had flu, I couldn't actually get out of bed for 4 days (I've only had 4 days off sick in the last 7 years)... I'd honestly be surprised if as many as half the reported cases were actually swine flu...
Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:15 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vinny1275
There were 100,000 reported cases last week apparently. What everyone seems to have forgotten is that people aren't being seen by GPs here, or having blood tests to prove that a) they have flu and b) they have H1N1. People are effectively self-diagnosing over the phone (and over the internet now!), so I wouldn't mind betting that some of the people reported as having swine flu actually have something else (or nothing, as they get a sicknote and some nice tamiflu from a phone call, then 2 weeks off work).

They should be sending community nurses round to everyone reported and take blood. That would a) put off the sicknote brigade, and b) map the actual spread of the disease, not just the reported cases. There was a guy on the news last night, who's quarantined himself in the spare room so his daughter doesn't get it - yet he's still managing to do a video diary and upload it to the internet... Last time I had flu, I couldn't actually get out of bed for 4 days (I've only had 4 days off sick in the last 7 years)... I'd honestly be surprised if as many as half the reported cases were actually swine flu...
Could they spread it?

Cooler
Old Jul 24th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

vinny1275 will become famous soon enoughvinny1275 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Could they spread it?

Cooler
If they take the normal precautions - gloves, masks, alcohol gels, then they shouldn't. Having people turn up in paper suits which they burn on the way out of the house will definitely put off the skivers tho!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

They should be sending community nurses round to everyone reported and take blood. [/QUOTE]

Bloody hell we must have loads of community nurses in Australia to do as you suggest.What happens to the regular patients they have to visit?tell em to wait a few months before they can get back to them ffs.Wonder if the path labs would be able to cope with your suggestion!!
Oops sorry just noticed you are in pommy land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.