Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swindling the ozzie taxpayer - Whaddya reckon guys, is this possible?

Swindling the ozzie taxpayer - Whaddya reckon guys, is this possible?

Old Dec 21st 2004, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Swindling the ozzie taxpayer - Whaddya reckon guys, is this possible?

Here's my situation, after several years of living in NZ (got NZ citizenship plus NZ passport) i've succumbed to some kind of 5 year itch, attraction to the bright lights of aussie, whatever you want to call it.

A good mate of mine (pom presently living in Syd) is on a 457 work permit and was waxing lyrical about the Living Away From Home Allowance he gets. Which got me thinking....

The NZ company im working for at present wants to setup in Australia (prob Syd or Melbourne) and there's a very good chance I'd be able to move over there with them - either on my NZ passport which means i'd be able to move tomorrow (yeah i know im not eligible for PR, cant vote yadda yadda) OR i could go over using my British passport, get my company to sponsor me for a 457 and claim the LAFHA. Obviously I'd be a temporary resident, and if I changed jobs would have the hassle of renewing/sorting out a new work permit. However even if I went over on my NZ passport, I'd STILL only be classed as a temporary resident, but unable to claim the LAFHA.

So what do you reckon? Is this worth doing? How much is the LAFHA? Anyone done this?

Cheers

Russ
Old Dec 21st 2004, 12:57 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swindling the ozzie taxpayer - Whaddya reckon guys, is this possible?

Originally Posted by BritboyNZ
Here's my situation, after several years of living in NZ (got NZ citizenship plus NZ passport) i've succumbed to some kind of 5 year itch, attraction to the bright lights of aussie, whatever you want to call it.

A good mate of mine (pom presently living in Syd) is on a 457 work permit and was waxing lyrical about the Living Away From Home Allowance he gets. Which got me thinking....

The NZ company im working for at present wants to setup in Australia (prob Syd or Melbourne) and there's a very good chance I'd be able to move over there with them - either on my NZ passport which means i'd be able to move tomorrow (yeah i know im not eligible for PR, cant vote yadda yadda) OR i could go over using my British passport, get my company to sponsor me for a 457 and claim the LAFHA. Obviously I'd be a temporary resident, and if I changed jobs would have the hassle of renewing/sorting out a new work permit. However even if I went over on my NZ passport, I'd STILL only be classed as a temporary resident, but unable to claim the LAFHA.

So what do you reckon? Is this worth doing? How much is the LAFHA? Anyone done this?

Cheers

Russ
LAFHA is probably offset by the fact you get no tax-free earnings as a temp resident - PRs can earn something like $6k before tax, temp residrnts can't. Have a look at ATO.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Swindling the ozzie taxpayer - Whaddya reckon guys, is this possible?

Originally Posted by wmoore
LAFHA is probably offset by the fact you get no tax-free earnings as a temp resident - PRs can earn something like $6k before tax, temp residrnts can't. Have a look at ATO.
I know stuff all about a LAFHA but I came across on a NZ passport and I got taxed as a resident so you def get the $6,000 tax free allowance.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 11:26 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Not correct ... long term temporary residents are usually (though admittedly not always) treated as tax residents of Australia. Residency for visa purposes is not the same as residency for tax purposes.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by wmoore