Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swimming Pool Running Costs ?

Swimming Pool Running Costs ?

Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Swimming Pool Running Costs ?

Hi

We have recently secured a rental that has a pool.

Can anyone shed any light on the running costs ?

Thanks

Stu
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming Pool Running Costs ?

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Hi

Thanks

Stu
Is it a saltwater pool?
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Some rental include pool cleaning in the price.... But that is usually stated... Very clearly...

Will you be cleaning it yourself and testing the water yourself???

When we got rid of the pool guy and started just taking the samples to the pool shop for analysis and recommendation our bill for "added ingredients" dropped DRAMATICALLY.... As did the cost of the added ingredients...

Thieving barsteward..... Could tell we were fresh POm off the boat
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Saltwater pool

Maintenance is included in the rent.

My costs will be :

Water
Electricity

Maybe more if i'm unaware of anything else ???

Stu
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Saltwater pool

My costs will be :

Water
Electricity

Stu
If cleaning is included in the cost you wont really notice the water and leccky mate... Its the cleaning and additives that mount up.... If you dont DIY...
Old Dec 21st 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Stu
I reckon we spend no more than $100 per year on chemicals and salt last year, dirt cheap just get it tested for free every month, don't bother testing it yourself the kit only tells you what you need not how much you need. Add too much stuff you end up putting more stuff in to bring the levels down more expence......
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I reckon we spend no more than $100 per year on chemicals and salt last year, dirt cheap just get it tested for free every month, don't bother testing it yourself the kit only tells you what you need not how much you need. Add too much stuff you end up putting more stuff in to bring the levels down more expence......
That does seem very little. I have spent more than that in 6 months however the pool was left in a shocking state by the previous owner who at best could be described as incompentent and lazy.

Anyway you can always get the pool water tested and then buy the extra stuff you need at a reasonable price at Bunnings . Mitre 10 etc.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Saltwater pool

My costs will be :

Water
Electricity

Stu
I'd estimate our pool pump adds about 8kw/hr a day to our average of 30. We pay $200 a month on electricity so that means about $75 of that is due to the pool pump.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:19 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I'd estimate our pool pump adds about 8kw/hr a day to our average of 30. We pay $200 a month on electricity so that means about $75 of that is due to the pool pump.
Jesus, 30kWh !!! Plus another 8 for a pump?

I'm here during the day, working on not underpowered computer, and I get through 11kWh a day, which I think is too high. You sure you don't have a spare arc welding sitting in the corner?
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Jesus, 30kWh !!! Plus another 8 for a pump?

I'm here during the day, working on not underpowered computer, and I get through 11kWh a day, which I think is too high. You sure you don't have a spare arc welding sitting in the corner?
Didn't write that very well did I, total is on average 30 of which 8 is made up by the pool pump, so 22 without.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 1:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Im not 100% on actual KWHr's but running a saltwater pool properly is a significant electricity cost. I don't think Bob is far off the mark.

We have a house empty but the pool and bore are still running - the last electric bill was still $275 for 2 months.
Do not underestimate the running cost of a saltwater pool.
They are very low maintenance because you are paying form the electric.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icecube
That does seem very little. I have spent more than that in 6 months however the pool was left in a shocking state by the previous owner who at best could be described as incompentent and lazy.

Anyway you can always get the pool water tested and then buy the extra stuff you need at a reasonable price at Bunnings . Mitre 10 etc.
This year so far 1 x25kg bag of salt =$6, 2 Kg Granular Chlorine $20 got it tested lastweek so as to make sure all fine for Christmas nothing needed so $26 this year not bad at all
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 7:36 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Do not underestimate the running cost of a saltwater pool.
They are very low maintenance because you are paying form the electric.
and the water when there's no rain.

I threw an hours worth in recently as water level was below the skimmer box. Don't think the water's free here!

1500w pump running for 8 hours a day soon adds up too!