Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

swimming pool issues......help!!!

swimming pool issues......help!!!

Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all
Wink swimming pool issues......help!!!

We have reciently bought a house in Joondalup, Perth which has a pool.
Never having owned a pool before i am a bit lost to know what to do about the upkeep,

we did have a pool shop in to "sort it out" and $470 ($210 of stuff i found out later i did not need!!) and i'm still non the wiser.

every pool shop i seem to go in has a differing opinion of what is needed and each bill would be $800 - $1000.

As soon as i say i dont know much about pools with an English accent I can see the dollar signs in their eyes!!!

Can anyone reccoment a good pool shop / mobile company in Joondalup who will give honest advise?

I dont mind spending money if i need too, I just cant afford to keep getting ripped off.

Also is there a book or website that can answer pool related problems?

Last but not least......my Zodiac brand "creepy-crawley" only moves backwards and ends up sitting under the inlet flap all day, so i have to drag it to the other end of the pool an let it work its way back slowly!!

.........Please Help ....Ash
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: swimming pool issues......help!!!

Originally Posted by JAMMIE DODGER
Never having owned a pool before i am a bit lost to know what to do about the upkeep,

we did have a pool shop in to "sort it out" and $470 ($210 of stuff i found out later i did not need!!) and i'm still non the wiser.

every pool shop i seem to go in has a differing opinion of what is needed and each bill would be $800 - $1000.

As soon as i say i dont know much about pools with an English accent I can see the dollar signs in their eyes!!!

Can anyone reccoment a good pool shop / mobile company in Joondalup who will give honest advise?

I dont mind spending money if i need too, I just cant afford to keep getting ripped off.

Last but not least......my Zodiac brand "creepy-crawley" only moves backwards and ends up sitting under the inlet flap all day, so i have to drag it to the other end of the pool an let it work its way back slowly!!

I go to the pool shop opposite Bunnings down at Edgewater. I think it is Pools and Spas r Us. An English guy runs it and they have been fantastic in the 2 years we have been using them.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:09 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

for a bit of DIY readinghttp://www.energy.com.au/energy/ea.n...tain+Your+Pool

http://www.poolshop.com.au/category12_1.htm

have a look around you area and take note of pool company vehicles you see parked up- or ask a neighbor will a pool (have a sticky beak on google earth to spot those with a pool) and ask them who they recommend - you never know, one might come around and give you a hand
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
I go to the pool shop opposite Bunnings down at Edgewater. I think it is Pools and Spas r Us. An English guy runs it and they have been fantastic in the 2 years we have been using them.
Thanks...would Bunnings be cheaper to buy salt and stuff from?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by walaj
for a bit of DIY readinghttp://www.energy.com.au/energy/ea.n...tain+Your+Pool

http://www.poolshop.com.au/category12_1.htm

have a look around you area and take note of pool company vehicles you see parked up- or ask a neighbor will a pool (have a sticky beak on google earth to spot those with a pool) and ask them who they recommend - you never know, one might come around and give you a hand
Ha Ha I like your style!!!

have you seen the Google maps street views?........how cool is that? ...I can see the front of the house i need to knock on,.. he he...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...would Bunnings be cheaper to buy salt and stuff from?
You should only need to buy salt rarely. Do as Northernbird or Walaj have said before you go buying anything else.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

In Perth are they salt water or freshwater pools?

I have experience of the former but not the latter - and went through the same thing with a neighbour who looked after the pool in our holiday place, who then ripped us off with loads of stuff we did not need...

Happy to help if saltwater...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slipshot

Happy to help if saltwater...
It has a "saltwater chlorinator" so i guess that makes it a saltwater pool

i have since found out that a creepy crawley is suppost to run backwards
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

It has a "saltwater chlorinator" so i guess that makes it a saltwater pool

i have since found out that a creepy crawley is suppost to run backwards

Easy enough to try - taste it. You'll soon know if it's mild saltwater or freshwater.

We had all sorts of things advised to us but the main thing that did seem to work was, depending on the size of the pool, a half or full cup of hydrochloric acid once a week when we were not using it would sort out most of the issues. I'm sure people will say differently but this was in Port Douglas and what most people seemed to do and it worked.

The other main thing was to ensure the 'thing' in the pool house that has the two electrodes connected to it was taken out and stuck in acid for a few hours to burn all the stuff of it.

That, and a regular backwash which given water rates in PD meant you were not on a meter, thus did not cost anything, soon sorted out most issues.

I played around with the timer as well as I was advised 2-3 times a day the pump should be running and other than that it was fine.

This was given that we used the apartment about 2-3 times a year and no more than that, so up keeping the pool when we were not there was better than leaving it and then spending a a lot to make it safe.

You will learn more from your neighbours with pools than anyone else, IMO, simply because they know the tricks. Having a pool man who you trust is also good for key times throughout the year, but I do not think it is necessary for a weekly visit from them once you know what you are doing...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the advice.....
The guy next door was looking after the pool when the previous owners moved out and the house was vacant for a while, he did say on the day we moved in that i could go to him for any advice ...but i have hardly seen him since we moved in in march (as his house is around the corner) and feel a bit cheeky just knocking on the door.....

I guess i'll have to work up the courage and take him a few crownies!!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

our rental has a pool in kinross, we got the jims mowing guy round to give us a lesson and it cost around $50, he explained everything and we took notes so we didnt forget anything, i get the water tested at clarks rubber on winton rd and they r fab.

sam
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

What excactly is the problem with your pool?
If you can give some more detail perhaps we can help more.

The Kreepy Ctawly probably needs a new rubber foot or its not balanced properly. If it came with the pool more likely to be th former.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=slipshot;6889550]Easy enough to try - taste it. You'll soon know if it's mild saltwater or freshwater.QUOTE]

That doesn't work. A salt water pool works on a chlorinator turning the salt into chlorine, so more than likely if everything is working properly the water will taste of chlorine.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Loch Lomond;6889793]
Originally Posted by slipshot
Easy enough to try - taste it. You'll soon know if it's mild saltwater or freshwater.QUOTE]

That doesn't work. A salt water pool works on a chlorinator turning the salt into chlorine, so more than likely if everything is working properly the water will taste of chlorine.
I got that wrong - still, it may not work have worked for you, but did for me. I know from owning our pool in Port Douglas, QLD, there was an obvious taste of mild saltwater, so it was pretty obvious what the pool was. Maybe it's different in different areas of depends on the type of pool and filtration system used. I seem to recall this was the same for other pools we used in the area as well so maybe the tropical climate 'oop north' was enough to have to make it stronger.

Still, it was an idea.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

That's not the case in my 15 years experience with two different saltwater pools. The water should taste a bit salty - not as salty as seawater, but almost as salty as sweat (ewwww!) or maybe serrano ham (much nicer analogy!).

If the water tastes/smells of chlorine, ironically enough it is not because you have too much chlorine in there, but generally is a pH problem.

If the water has no taste of chlorine or salt then it has probably rained a lot recently, and you may need more salt.

Finally, all the way back to the OP, our local pool shop do a 'handover' for new owners - costs around $90, and they spend about 90 mins with you showing how everything works and what needs to be done. But that's Qld, without all the sandgroper ripoff merchants

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.