Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swimming Pool Cover

Swimming Pool Cover

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swimming Pool Cover

After 2 summers of watching our water evaporate away I finally bought a pool cover for this one.

It's like many - it's basically bubble wrap but I'm not going to be popping the bubbles just because I can.

I spent more money and got the 500 micron thickness and it is pretty thick and a little winder - Chief insisted I get the winder along with the cover and not pennypinch by getting it later etc etc.

All up I paid 600 bucks. It worked out cheaper than other mobs and less than even the ones you can cut off a roll (like wallpaper) in Clarks Rubber.

I could have saved a few hundred by going for a thinner one but decided to go the whole hog.

benefits:
i)The water will stay warmer
ii)There will be less evaporation - less water usage
iii)Easier to keep leaves out, I still expect sentiment and dirt to blow in of course
iv)Some councils (in QLD) will give you a rebate to the tune of a few hundred bucks - doesn't apply to me of course
cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming Pool Cover

spot the typo!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Do you mind me asking where you got it Badge? and how big is your pool?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If I tell you where I got it from, you're all tell me by how much I got ripped off.

Alright - Ebay. I'll dig out the seller.

There are a few plying their trade there - all comparitive - I got one cheap - because the lister made a mistake and advertised it cheaper and it was exactly the size I needed. They contacted me to withdraw it from sale, offered it at a higher price but made another mistake - offered it still below RRP and then decided to give it to me at that price by apology of stuffing me around. It arrived well packaged.

The pool cover is 5m x 9.9m and the pool is 4.7 x 9.6 odd - I always thought it a lot less than that. You're supposed to cut the cover to size which is making me nervous and twitchy already- one mistake and it could get quite expensive so I might even get Chief to do it - if I stuff it up I'll never hear the last of it - if she does - well never mind and I'll save it up for when I am in need of ammo.

I did contact other companies and some are very expensive - as much as 600 just for the cover. You can get them for as little as 200 odd.

Also consider a leaf stop instead - cheaper and good as a stop gap- but we wanted the thermal properties too.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Thanks Badge, think ours is a 11m x 8m but will have to check with the Boss tomorrow! We will have to get one before the new restrictions come in next year.
By the way i would definitely get the Chief to cut it!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people I have spoken to, including council pool inspectors don't expect it to become law. totally impossible to police and with relation to evaporation, not going to save a huge amount simply because the time it will evaporate most is the time that people are in it.

The council guy even admitted to me that if they go round and see the cover off (should it be law) the owner can just say that they have only just got out after a swim.

With reference to the stopping the leaves, if they are sitting on the top, presumably when you roll it up, they will just go mouldy inside and then be welded to the top

No one has convinced me that they are worth the expense. Yet!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
With reference to the stopping the leaves, if they are sitting on the top, presumably when you roll it up, they will just go mouldy inside and then be welded to the top

No one has convinced me that they are worth the expense. Yet!
spoilsport. My plan is to get rid of the buggers first - but I can well see a situation arising (familarity breeds contempt) where I will look the other way when it suits me.

Down here with the Antarctic winds and no solar we can expect some benefit.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:10 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

600 Bucks sounds a steal to me ...

I will weigh up the benefits first before I ask Scossie to throw one in gratis !!!

I know he will read this
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:07 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We have just bought an all singing all dancing daisy cover on a roller. Whilst it works at keeping the pool warmer and stops the evaporation because our pool is not rectangular its an absolute pain in the arse to put on and take off and we wish to god we had not bought it.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:26 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
600 Bucks sounds a steal to me ...

I will weigh up the benefits first before I ask Scossie to throw one in gratis !!!

I know he will read this
Wouldn't know where to throw one from mate!!

Having said that, Steve, the solar bloke I told you about has been known to seal the odd deal with a freebie pool cover...

Anyway.... You'd have to pull yours off, (ooer) through the bar and knock all your bottles of Babycham off the gantry...!!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scossie
Anyway.... You'd have to pull yours off, (ooer) through the bar and knock all your bottles of Babycham off the gantry...!!
I'm a convert to Cougar Bourbon ... loved the advert

Besides, I'm a Pimms man darling ...
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 12:53 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
We have just bought an all singing all dancing daisy cover on a roller. Whilst it works at keeping the pool warmer and stops the evaporation because our pool is not rectangular its an absolute pain in the arse to put on and take off and we wish to god we had not bought it.
Some one did mention solar rings on another thread which sounded less hassle than the pool cover.

Like you say it;s the winding on and off would stop me using it.

Have been in tonight without a cover and temperature fine just had to throw out 4 spiders first. Can't figure out why all the spiders go for a swim in the first place.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
After 2 summers of watching our water evaporate away I finally bought a pool cover for this one.
Doesn't it spoil the look of the pool?
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
Doesn't it spoil the look of the pool?
Right that's it - I'm sending it back.

Another reason for getting is to cover the pool in winter.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:52 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I still expect sentiment and dirt to blow in of course
LOL - there's a line there but I will leave it alone .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.