Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swapping UK Driving Licence for Aussie One

Swapping UK Driving Licence for Aussie One

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

paul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the rough
Default Swapping UK Driving Licence for Aussie One

Hey all

Settling in to life in Sydney (well, no job, living with the in-laws with my wife...you know how it is!) We are just about to buy a car so my mind has turned to driving licences. I have read on this forum that I will no longer need to take a theory test to change my UK licence but I am unsure about when I need to do the chage over. I am on a spouse visa and since that technically isn't a permanent visa until after two years do I wait until then or should I change now?

Any help, as ever, gratefully received!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Swapping UK Driving Licence for Aussie One

Not totally sure, but I think you van only drive on your English licence for 3 months, after that you effectively will be driving without a licence!

I will be in the same boat as you later in the year and I intend to transfer mine over as soon as I am settled.

I am sure someone will confirm!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:32 am
ABCDiamond

New South Wales

* Roads & Traffic Authority - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au
* As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries (UK is one of these).
* If you intend to stay in NSW and you hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958, you are no longer considered to be a visitor. You are allowed to drive or ride in NSW on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months after arriving in Australia. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

Visitors

If you do not intend to stay in NSW and do not hold a permanent visa, you will be regarded as a visiting driver. If you hold a current overseas driver licence you are not required to get a NSW licence even if your stay is longer than three months. If the licence is not written in English, an International Driving Permit, or an English translation must also be carried with the licence when driving.

The way I read that, is that on a Spouse Visa, you do intend to stay in the country/state, and should swap your licence over. You do keep the UK Licence, but even if you didnt (In some states) you can easily get it back again in the UK.

If I was you, I would change over now, before they change the system yet again, and you need to do a Practical test !!

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

JPRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

Does anyone know if there are similar guidlines in other states, for example Victoria??
The exempt from car driver knowledge test if you hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. Does it apply to all states???

thanks

John

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
New South Wales

* As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries (UK is one of these).
* If you intend to stay in NSW and you hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958, you are no longer considered to be a visitor. You are allowed to drive or ride in NSW on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months after arriving in Australia. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

Visitors

If you do not intend to stay in NSW and do not hold a permanent visa, you will be regarded as a visiting driver. If you hold a current overseas driver licence you are not required to get a NSW licence even if your stay is longer than three months. If the licence is not written in English, an International Driving Permit, or an English translation must also be carried with the licence when driving.

The way I read that, is that on a Spouse Visa, you do intend to stay in the country/state, and should swap your licence over. You do keep the UK Licence, but even if you didnt (In some states) you can easily get it back again in the UK.

If I was you, I would change over now, before they change the system yet again, and you need to do a Practical test !!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JPRobbo
Hi.

Does anyone know if there are similar guidlines in other states, for example Victoria??
The exempt from car driver knowledge test if you hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. Does it apply to all states???

thanks

John
Not all States. I think it is just 3, NSW, WA and Victoria.

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

JPRobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

i take it if you obtain your licence in one of these states it is valid thoughout oz??
what if your travelling for the first 6 months and you want to change your licence in that time, do you require a fixed address to do so?? not dure if we will have one as we plan to tour in a camper van?"!

thanks for your help

Not all States. I think it is just 3, NSW, WA and Victoria.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:15 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JPRobbo
i take it if you obtain your licence in one of these states it is valid thoughout oz??
what if your travelling for the first 6 months and you want to change your licence in that time, do you require a fixed address to do so?? not dure if we will have one as we plan to tour in a camper van?"!

thanks for your help

Correct, though, as if you've said. You do need a perm. address to be able get your OZ licence.
If you look on the relevant transport page for the state you want to change your licence in, then that will tell you what ID is sufficient.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

mrladyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

New South Wales

Visitors

The theory test was dead easy... I got 49/50 and the wife 50/50 after 90 minutes reading the questions we downloaded from the RTA website.

An advantage of a UK licence - you don't get demerit points if booked for speeding etc. Not that I am advocating speeding... but any advantage is worth having, eh?
Old Apr 13th 2005, 4:35 pm
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Sorry if I've missed the critical thread on this one ... will my wife be able to swap her 'old style' UK one for a Western Australian licence, or does she need the new EU version with photo (like mine)?
(PS As we've only two weeks left in the UK, the correct answer is the first one.... isn't it?)
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:30 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bal56
Sorry if I've missed the critical thread on this one ... will my wife be able to swap her 'old style' UK one for a Western Australian licence, or does she need the new EU version with photo (like mine)?
(PS As we've only two weeks left in the UK, the correct answer is the first one.... isn't it?)
Hiya,
IMHO It's still a valid licence, so they should accept it.
(could alway's try sending an email tio them.)

I dare say others have exchanged using the old paper licence and will reply.

Bye
Mark
Old Apr 13th 2005, 9:46 pm
Merlot

Visitors

Way back in 1998 when I was on the 2 year Spouse Visa this was a complete grey area.

The RTA official word then was no you can use your overseas licence or International One (these are usually 12 months from the AA), though you can only drive for 3 months on that???

The Police said the same though said if I had an accident say I could be charged for not having the correct licence.

I avoided converting over as I didn't want to have to re-sit my driving test after xx years but I would highly recommend to get your Ozzie one.

It proves useful time and time again for ID in Australia, you always get asked for it.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:59 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bal56

Easiest thing to do is email WA transport authority. Whatever they say, go with, and make sure if it is that they accept the paper copy, that you keep a copy of that email also
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya,
IMHO It's still a valid licence, so they should accept it.
(could alway's try sending an email tio them.)

I dare say others have exchanged using the old paper licence and will reply.

Bye
Mark
I swapped my UK paper one in QLD in Feb 2004. I'd never had a UK photo licence one Are they compulsory in the UK now ?

Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:15 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I swapped my UK paper one in QLD in Feb 2004. I'd never had a UK photo licence one Are they compulsory in the UK now ?
Me too , used my paper one here in Qld to get a licence- but I didn't swap it, I still have it intact. Apparently in some states they punch a hole through your Uk licence :scared: - I'd go up the wall if they had tried to punch a hole in mine! lol

No they are not Compulsory in the UK . The paper ones are legal to hold and use, you don't have to get a photo one , but they have done it in such away though you will have to have one in time; when you send your old licence to the Dvla for points, change address anything, they will give you a photo licence. You can't get a new paper one.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ceri
Me too , used my paper one here in Qld to get a licence- but I didn't swap it, I still have it intact. Apparently in some states they punch a hole through your Uk licence :scared: - I'd go up the wall if they had tried to punch a hole in mine! lol
Just to clarify, in case anyone wonders, I still have my paper one aswell, when I said swap, I used the word incorrectly I handed it over but I got it back, fully intact
NSW does the hole punch thing.
I think SA actually retain the UK licence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.