Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swallowing those horrid flies!!

Swallowing those horrid flies!!

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:18 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Swallowing those horrid flies!!

OH God!!!!

I've been told its only the start of the fly season here and already I've swallowed 3 of the disgusting buggers!!!!!:scared:

I have gagged, chocked and spat on the floor (outside the supermarket to the disgust of many onlookers!!) but still it refused to come out of my windpipe. I was forced to swallow!!!

Then yesterday my boss got one right in his ear (a fly!) and told me that you have to try and get it out with a syringe (as if I had one handy!?) of water or olive oil. The oil will kill the fly before it does any damage to the ear drum!!!

Already walking about with cotton earplugs and a hanky tied around my mouth, getting some weird looks but who cares!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:23 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the funniest post I have read for a while. I am so sorry for you. I guess you and Pookin are now in the fly swallowing club.

It is an ordeal to go walking these days fighting off flies and magpies.

Chris thinks you should try swallowing a spider
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:24 am
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swallowing those horrid flies!!

Originally posted by janeyray
OH God!!!!

I've been told its only the start of the fly season here and already I've swallowed 3 of the disgusting buggers!!!!!:scared:

I have gagged, chocked and spat on the floor (outside the supermarket to the disgust of many onlookers!!) but still it refused to come out of my windpipe. I was forced to swallow!!!

Then yesterday my boss got one right in his ear (a fly!) and told me that you have to try and get it out with a syringe (as if I had one handy!?) of water or olive oil. The oil will kill the fly before it does any damage to the ear drum!!!

Already walking about with cotton earplugs and a hanky tied around my mouth, getting some weird looks but who cares!!!
Got really grossed out when I first opened the flyscreens. Loads of ancient dessicated fly carcasses jammed down the bottom gap.

Luckily my mate has lent me a dustbuster with a small attachment.

Hmmm looking forward to that job........perhaps it will have to be re-classified as a 'boys' job!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris thinks you should try swallowing a spider
Thats right because you swallow the spider to catch the fly, but then you need to swallow a bird to catch the spider. Its only a problem when you get to the horse.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Don't mention flies to me!!! Bloody things, I feel like a member of the royal family with all the waving I do. It is really unpleasant eating outside at the minute, Lee swallowed one yesterday too!!

Eekkkk, Must tell you that I cooked a roast on Saturday, took it out of the oven wrapped in tinfoil and left it on the side. When I went to carve it........there were wiggly maggots and eggs all over it..............puke, puke puke.

The fly season on lasts a month or so I think (hope).

Di
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Cleaning the flyscreens was one of my first yukky jobs when we moved in, the people that lived here before obviously had never bothered, judging by the 100's of dead insects I found.

Keep your mouth shut outdoors when bringing in washing etc. and when riding a bike! The flies buzz really close to your eyes too, it's horrible. My sister lives right in the country/bush, they can't eat outside when the flies are bad, you open your mouth to put the fork in, and instead get a mouthful of flies.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had to go and find the song. !!!

There was an old lady who swallowed a fly
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider,
That wriggled and wiggled and tiggled inside her;
She swallowed the spider to catch the fly;
I don't know why she swallowed a fly - Perhaps she'll die!
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird;
How absurd to swallow a bird.
She swallowed the bird to catch the spider,
There was an old lady who swallowed a cat;
Fancy that to swallow a cat!
She swallowed the cat to catch the bird,
There was an old lady that swallowed a dog;
What a hog, to swallow a dog;
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
There was an old lady who swallowed a cow,
I don't know how she swallowed a cow;
She swallowed the cow to catch the dog,
She swallowed the dog to catch the cat,
There was an old lady who swallowed a horse...
She's dead, of course!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

on the bright side, the good thing about the aussie flys are that they are so big you can hear them coming from a mile (erem 1.6k ) off.

This gives you plenty of time to run into your house and get a shotgun ready before the shadow comes over your garden.

OH God!!!!

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:37 am
WBB

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
on the bright side, the good thing about the aussie flys are that they are so big you can hear them coming from a mile (erem 1.6k ) off.

This gives you plenty of time to run into your house and get a shotgun ready before the shadow comes over your garden.
lol

i find the midgies more of a problem, you can hear them but not see them (at dusk) and the little buggers just love chowing down on me.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:54 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

OH God!!!!

Just think when you ,have eaten 1000, you get immediate AUSTRALIAN CITZENSHIP ....... MM
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:00 am
Good to be back in UK

Stratagies for avoiding the flies:

1. don't leave the house/apartment.
2. I have long hair which help shield my ears and I can where it over my face (but i do look like the hairy cousin from the adams family)
3. Wear a veil (I have seen this in the bush)
4. Wear a plastic flower that sprays fly spray (probably not so effective)
5. I tried the not opening my mouth bit, but I am a woman and it nearly killed me.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Don't mention flies to me!!! Bloody things, I feel like a member of the royal family with all the waving I do. It is really unpleasant eating outside at the minute, Lee swallowed one yesterday too!!

Eekkkk, Must tell you that I cooked a roast on Saturday, took it out of the oven wrapped in tinfoil and left it on the side. When I went to carve it........there were wiggly maggots and eggs all over it..............puke, puke puke.

The fly season on lasts a month or so I think (hope).

Di
OMG Di, I have developed a fly phobia since being here, after seeing one of those gross ones that fly over and drop dive bomb style maggots on anything, bet thats what happened to ya beef.

If one gets in the house I hunt it till its dead and flushed, you cant stick them in the bin or all the maggots get out of the dead fly and start all over again.

Spiders, could not care less, snakes not a worry, but flies:scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:33 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by dotty
OMG Di, I have developed a fly phobia since being here, after seeing one of those gross ones that fly over and drop dive bomb style maggots on anything, bet thats what happened to ya beef.

If one gets in the house I hunt it till its dead and flushed, you cant stick them in the bin or all the maggots get out of the dead fly and start all over again.
flies dropping bomb style maggots, and all the dead maggots getting out of the dead fly and start all over again....

Sounds like something out of a horror film:scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Please tell me this is just a WA thing ... or more specifically NOT a mid-north coast NSW thing!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by CHnJ
Please tell me this is just a WA thing ... or more specifically NOT a mid-north coast NSW thing!!!
As far as I know flies are in all of OZ for all of summer, or any season as long as its warm. I had no idea Perth only got them for a month, is that correct, sounds too good to be true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.