Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Swaffham Norfolk

Swaffham Norfolk

Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

skeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant future
Default Swaffham Norfolk

I was in waitrose in swaffham last night standing at the checkout and this lady in front of me was saying to the checkout girl something about going to Australia naturally my ears pricked up.
This woman was very happy and very pleased to tell the checkout girl that she was leaving for Australia not for a holiday but permanent.i so wanted to ask her where she was going to but didnt get to speak to her.
Reason is we are moving out December 1st 2007 (thats only 180 days away).
you could see how happy and excited this lady was.
looking forward to the day we leave not that me and the kids are counting.

Is any on leaving from swaffham in norfolk.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Swaffham Norfolk

Originally Posted by skeaty
I was in waitrose in swaffham last night standing at the checkout and this lady in front of me was saying to the checkout girl something about going to Australia naturally my ears pricked up.
This woman was very happy and very pleased to tell the checkout girl that she was leaving for Australia not for a holiday but permanent.i so wanted to ask her where she was going to but didnt get to speak to her.

No but we live in Norwich and we may be going between September and December.

Jen
Old Jun 1st 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

You should have spoken to her about it, gives you good practice for when you arrive and start talking to strangers to make friends!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:03 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
You should have spoken to her about it, gives you good practice for when you arrive and start talking to strangers to make friends!
Thats a very good point. I wouldnt think twice about just bumping into someone and asking them something now - its something you have to get used to when you land in a new country!

I remember being excited in the UK when I heard anyone either mention Australia or if they had an Aussie accent.

Memories
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

We went into a kitchen-equipment type shop the other day in town, me and my mum. I've never been in there before but the woman was asking me about when the baby was due and was so excited about the whole thing you'd think she'd known me forever!! My mum was quite surprised, but I guess after a while you kinda get used to talking to people you dont know about all sorts of things!!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:55 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
We went into a kitchen-equipment type shop the other day in town, me and my mum. I've never been in there before but the woman was asking me about when the baby was due and was so excited about the whole thing you'd think she'd known me forever!! My mum was quite surprised, but I guess after a while you kinda get used to talking to people you dont know about all sorts of things!!
Yep thats right you do. And Aussies dont think twice about just coming up to you and talking to you about all types of things - especially kids and babies - they're baby mad over here!
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:15 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Yep thats right you do. And Aussies dont think twice about just coming up to you and talking to you about all types of things - especially kids and babies - they're baby mad over here!
Incredible isn't it ! I spent 1/2 hr in the car park in Coles chatting to a stranger - all she started off by saying was "Doesn't your daughter look like you " My kids think its mad, they always ask "do you know that person?" and look at me strangely when I reply no
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Incredible isn't it ! I spent 1/2 hr in the car park in Coles chatting to a stranger - all she started off by saying was "Doesn't your daughter look like you " My kids think its mad, they always ask "do you know that person?" and look at me strangely when I reply no
I went out for a beer with Perthforme last night and on the way back to Joondalup we spent the whole 30 minutes talking to a stranger. A belly full of Swan Draught helps to make you chatty though
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:28 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

Not from Norfolk - but from Ipswich in Suffolk.

Just arrived in Narre Warren (yesterday), until we can find a house to rent.

Good Luck!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by skeaty

We came from Shouldham
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

skeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant futureskeaty has a brilliant future

Hey its not like me not to talk to strangers i just couldnt get through the checkout. When we visited my brother in law in springfield i was chatting with his neighbors and he had never spoken to them and he's lived there 3 years.
i know of at least 5 families that have left or is leaving swaffham to queensland

shouldham not far at all how long have you been in oz and where did you settle.

Hope it all goes well for you in melbourne.