Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

suspiciously high ex rate

suspiciously high ex rate

Old Dec 26th 2003, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default suspiciously high ex rate

I've just had a look at halewoods exchange rates for today and the rate for £ to $ is 2.63 ???
Can anyone explain this?
www.hifx.co.uk look at currency converter.

Michaela
Old Dec 26th 2003, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looked again and its now saying 2.36, must have been an error but I got very excited for a minute and shouted all my family to come and witness it!
Knew it was too good to be true!
Old Dec 26th 2003, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Mind you, not as good as you want it but it has improved over the past few months.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 1:26 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Mind you, not as good as you want it but it has improved over the past few months.
Hmmm...trend is unbroken, there are always a few fits + starts: AUD:GBP is still heading for 2:1 which is not particularly noteworthy over the last 10 years.
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I hope so now that I've exchanged all my cash. Would be p...ed off if it went the other way. Lost a few thousand dollars (NZ) with my last £50K when it pinged back up last week.
Roger
Old Dec 28th 2003, 2:25 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

On the other hand (there's always another hand) the GBP is looking like it will (perhaps briefly?) fly in the face of trend/ rationality and enjoy a period when it is seen as the currency of a fairly robust economy. And ISN'T the USD, EUR, or a commodity currency. Mystic Don sees a bounce for the Swissie, the Norwegian Kroner and the GBP - until the markets realise Prudence Brown has stifled the economy, cooked the books, stoked an improbable housing bubble, soaked the entrepreneurs and the middle classes in general for no public services gains and done nothing impactful about the current account deficit which is starting to look very wobbly indeed (wobbly like an avalanche waiting for the spring thaw).