Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SURVIVOR : Aussies vs Brits vs Yanks!!

SURVIVOR : Aussies vs Brits vs Yanks!!

Old Apr 17th 2004, 8:59 am
Badge

Default SURVIVOR : Aussies vs Brits vs Yanks!!

Spent all afternoon Friday in the pub with my new work colleagues.

Now one bloke is a real intellectual 'ponderer'; very deliberate, deep, makes detailed arguments. Quite interesting, if amusing.

As the beer flowed, we got on to the UK and Australia. (I'm not the only ex-pom in the office). This bloke got very proud of Australia and outlined why he thinks Australia is a good country. (I actually agree with him, for a number of reasons, and said so. I wasn't too sure if he was trying to tell me to eff off if I diagreed, and therefore laying it on 'thick' for my benefit- I told him I am Australia's No One Supporter).

Then he said - this was after he was in full flow, he addressed the whole table:

If there was a Survivor programme, with teams of blokes from the different countries, who would win it, the Aussies, the Brits or the Yanks?

The table fell apart laughing and there was much debate. But he was clear - the Aussies by a mile!!

Discuss.

PS Did he get pissed. I've never seen such an transformation in my life!!

Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SURVIVOR : Aussies vs Brits vs Yanks!!

Originally posted by badgersmount
The table fell apart laughing...

Sounds like the table had the highest IQ there.

Of course the Aussies would win.....if the competition was to see who can carry the biggest chips on their shoulders...
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Then he said - this was after he was in full flow, he addressed the whole table:

If there was a Survivor programme, with teams of blokes from the different countries, who would win it, the Aussies, the Brits or the Yanks?
The South Africans. Aussies, Poms & Yanks are pussies.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:20 am
Badge

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Sounds like the table had the highest IQ there.

Of course the Aussies would win.....if the competition was to see who can carry the biggest chips on their shoulders...
Thanks Mike. We've got a starter for 10. You've kicked us off.

Well it wasn't all serous. I did say that there was much laughter. Much of it directed at him BTW. He went on to surpass himself with other funny topics!

His comment interested me, why there is so much competition there amongst the English speaking parts of the word.

To put the boot on the other end of the foot, Mike, I spent all of 2002 in Australia, and the Pommy backpacker press was full of defensive English prose trying to get one over on the aussies. Methinks they protest too much? In this sense, they (the Pommies) appeared to have the chips on their shoulders. The aussies don't seem to care. They know they are 'good'. Why should THEY have to defend themselves - they have the good weather, the lifestyle, the laid back atmosphere, the supposedly meritocractic society...

BTW another point another bloke made : "the English were effing good colonists"...what went wrong (in his opinion) - "they lost their balls"!!!!!! Funny bloke - AND, he can name tens of tens of Kind and Queens of England!!! I was impressed.

BM

Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched 10 secs of survivor and would be proud to come dead last.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:31 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I watched 10 secs of survivor and would be proud to come dead last.
I watched a bit of the US version in Mexico last year (there was only 1 English speaking channel in the hotel and my Spanish amounts to Si and Grazias). I don't think I would go out of my way to watch it again. Whinging Poms? You should have heard this lot. Or maybe you shouldn't.......
Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:33 am
Badge

now we're talking.

Old Apr 17th 2004, 10:41 am
Badge

This is exactly what I mean; how can 2 countries so much, in mnay ways, alike eg US / Australia produce so many different 'sterotypes'..?

and yet England sent their worst to Australia as well and produced a nation in some ways so different to Yanks.

I always see the Poms at one end of the scale, the Aussies, Kiwis and Saffers in the middle with the Yanks at the other. ie. england is 'old' - the Yanks are 'brand new', and down under is kind of 'middle of the road', best of Pommie and Yank.

All English speaking!!

Old Apr 17th 2004, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly what I mean; how can 2 countries so much, in mnay ways, alike eg US / Australia produce so many different 'sterotypes'..?

and yet England sent their worst to Australia as well and produced a nation in some ways so different to Yanks.

I always see the Poms at one end of the scale, the Aussies, Kiwis and Saffers in the middle with the Yanks at the other. ie. england is 'old' - the Yanks are 'brand new', and down under is kind of 'middle of the road', best of Pommie and Yank.

All English speaking!!
Badge you know that is all b*llocks!

Talking of pussies ( ?!) - who are the roughest, toughest boys? As you are an ex-army mascot, Badge, you are fully aware that the British SAS are 'la creme de la creme'. With the Aussie SAS and the Yank girlies, Delta Force, following up the rear (so to seak...)
Old Apr 17th 2004, 2:08 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Talking of pussies ( ?!) - who are the roughest, toughest boys? As you are an ex-army mascot, Badge, you are fully aware that the British SAS are 'la creme de la creme'. With the Aussie SAS and the Yank girlies, Delta Force, following up the rear (so to seak...)
I'm lost !!!!\
Whats SAS got to do with Survivor ???
Old Apr 17th 2004, 4:47 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Why don't they....

....run an episode of 'Survivor' in Baghdad? Then *lots* of Aussie, Yank & Brit blokes would have a chance to show what they can do.... :scared:

Anya.
Old Apr 17th 2004, 9:09 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
I'm lost !!!!\
Whats SAS got to do with Survivor ???
Exactly. The program seemed to be more about egos, backstabbing and sunburn.

Americans would be down Maccas the first, followed by the Aussies at Red Roooter and finally the poms would be a sucker for a curry. All 3 nations are fat and lazy.
Old Apr 18th 2004, 12:18 am
Badge

Why? It's true!!! Pommieland is old, yankland is new. The others are in between. I can't see how more simple it can be....?

Anyhow.

Brit SAS are good, admitedly- but even they make mistakes ;-)Australian SAS is in the same mould I understand, I suppose, I'm not sure, never having worked with them.

I do know that some US SF is laughable.