Reload this Page >

Surviving on FAMILY TAX BENEFIT alone

Surviving on FAMILY TAX BENEFIT alone

Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:31 am
Just Joined

kang123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Surviving on FAMILY TAX BENEFIT alone

First time post in this forum.

We have got our PR recently, and planning to move to OZ in early SEP 08. I've got some basic doubts and wish to clarify from the family of BE.

We are family of four me, wife, two kids aged 1 and 3.
After verifying from CENTRELINK website, it is learnt that we are eligible for $280 per week towards family tax benefit i/c rent assistance. My doubt is whether we'll be able to manage on this assistance alone at least for six months without both of us doing a job in suburbs of Melbourne with least least expendeture. Is it possible? because we have no money in hands right now and we have to atleast wait for six months to get a job to start with.

Is it possible to survive???
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Surviving on FAMILY TAX BENEFIT alone

In a word NO. But i don't understand why you can't get a job for 6 months? i have been applying for 4 each week and getting 2 -3 interviews from those and hoping at least one job offer will come of it.

On top of Family asssistance are you entitled to newstart payment too whilst you look for work - i dont really understand diff visas as i'm australian returning resident.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by homewardbound
In a word NO. But i don't understand why you can't get a job for 6 months? i have been applying for 4 each week and getting 2 -3 interviews from those and hoping at least one job offer will come of it.

On top of Family asssistance are you entitled to newstart payment too whilst you look for work - i dont really understand diff visas as i'm australian returning resident.
they won't be entitled to any other benefits for at least 2 years....

I also don;t understand why you won't get a job for 6 months, even if you don't get you ideal job you can get some casual work, or even bar work when you first get there.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kang123

We have got our PR recently, and planning to move to OZ in early SEP 08. I've got some basic doubts and wish to clarify from the family of BE.

After verifying from CENTRELINK website, it is learnt that we are eligible for $280 per week towards family tax benefit i/c rent assistance. My doubt is whether we'll be able to manage on this assistance alone at least for six months without both of us doing a job in suburbs of Melbourne with least least expendeture. Is it possible? because we have no money in hands right now and we have to atleast wait for six months to get a job to start with.

How can ANYONE survive with no job or money?

You may get HELP with your rent but surely you will be expected to pay the rest? What about medical cover?

IMHO if you want to go and live in another country the least you should do is provide for yourself and your family ... Why should the Aussies keep you and yours?

Just curious but how can you afford the emigration process and flights but not basic funding to live?

</IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by homewardbound

Thanks for ur quick reply dear Homewardbound
If I get the job immediately there'll be no pobs at all. Iam taking it on the negative side as I've very less or no money in hand. But I'll try to get in to work as early as possible. As far as I know new strart allowance has got a waiting period of tow years after landing.
Really can't we survive on $280/week making the l..e..a..s..t expendeture on house rent, groceries etc.. etc.,
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

If I get the job immediately there'll be no pobs at all. Iam taking it on the negative side as I've very less or no money in hand. But I'll try to get in to work as early as possible. As far as I know new strart allowance has got a waiting period of tow years after landing.
Really can't we survive on $280/week making the l..e..a..s..t expendeture on house rent, groceries etc.. etc.,
you'd struggle to get a rental for that low a price in most parts of melbourne, and what will you do about a deposit on the rental?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Thats about £130/week, could you survive on that here?? God that wouldnt even cover my groceries and petrol for a week here, let alone mortgage, bills, clothes and childrens club fees and stuff.

Your off your rocker if you think you can survive on that, you'd better start saving your pennies mate or set up a job before you leave the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Does the australian visa not require its applicants to have enough funds to support themselves on arrival.

As others have said, 280 a week wouldnt even cover rent, we spend 280+ a week to feed 2 teens and 2 adults. Basically to live in australia allow about the same costs as you would in the UK, could you survive there on a total income of 140 GBP a week?

Also watch out for claiming centerlink on arrival anyway, its means tested at end of tax year and adjusted to what you actually earn. So if you claim and get a well paid job you might get a bill to pay it back.

Also to rent you have to pay 4 weeks bond and 2 weeks in advance so on a $500 rental ( many pay more in melbourne ) you need $3000 deposit.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 11th 2008 at 9:08 am.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Dear mebers pls dont take it otherwise
I am expecting the views from our beloved members to assesing the real situation, so that we wont fell into miserable situation after landing over there. And regarding money we've lost a lot in the buisiness recently. And waiting for the time and luck in our favour.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:09 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by justsarah
IMHO if you want to go and live in another country the least you should do is provide for yourself and your family ... Why should the Aussies keep you and yours?

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Well said

To the OP - Suggest you get off your backside and get a job quickly. I cannot believe you are moving here with no savings or contingency money and expect Centrelink to support your family.

Not sure why you are unable to find a job for 6 months as you obviously aren't stupid. After all you had the foresight to check exactly how much you could get from Centrelink without paying a penny into the system.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Dear mebers pls dont take it otherwise
I am expecting the views from our beloved members to assesing the real situation, so that we wont fell into miserable situation after landing over there. And regarding money we've lost a lot in the buisiness recently. And waiting for the time and luck in our favour.
If you havent got the money to go and set up over there then you shouldnt go.

How would you feel if you go to the other side of the planet and there is nothing for your kids, no home, no food, no life?

Someone once told me if you dont take £20000 over in your account to start your new life in Oz your going to struggle, how much will you have to start off because if it is less than this I think youll struggle
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
If you havent got the money to go and set up over there then you shouldnt go.

How would you feel if you go to the other side of the planet and there is nothing for your kids, no home, no food, no life?

Someone once told me if you dont take £20000 over in your account to start your new life in Oz your going to struggle, how much will you have to start off because if it is less than this I think youll struggle
Im expecting my money in a couple of months or so, if it comes its well n good, there'll be no probs for us to set up a family in MEL. As I said Im taking the other side due to obvious reasons.
Any way thanks a lot for your time.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Two adults and two children, on $280 a week.

Stay in the UK. You'd be mad to think you can live on that.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:45 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

No - you won't even find a place to rent for that, never mind food.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, everyone is right there is no way you could survive on that, my grocery bill is usually $150 plus a week then petrol, my latest gas bill has come in $354 a quarter. Even if you lived on baked beans and toast you could not afford a rental here let alone furniture. I am sorry to put a dampner on things for you, but please don't put your family through the move until you can offer them security. Also the payment from centrelink is not instant so how will you survive till they sort the paperwork out? Please sit and work out your figures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.