Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surveyors have found problems with my house!!!!!

Surveyors have found problems with my house!!!!!

Old Nov 14th 2005, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Question Surveyors have found problems with my house!!!!!

OK I know its 108 years old, but my survey 7 years ago when I bought it was fine. Now my potential purchaser has got a builder coming in wednesday to examine my home, as their surveyor said it showed damp and a chimney breast looked unstable! Neither of which is obvious. Now what do I do? Am I entitled to a copy of the surveyors report? Do I have to take what the builders say as gospel, , will I have to pay out or drop the price or what? These and many other questions are buzzing round my head, and I shall talk to my solicitor tomorrow, but I am so worried. I live on my own, and do not have 2 pennies to rub together until I sell. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, or if there are any builders who can cheer me up.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surveyors have found problems with my house!!!!!

Originally Posted by suzannepatricia
OK I know its 108 years old, but my survey 7 years ago when I bought it was fine. Now my potential purchaser has got a builder coming in wednesday to examine my home, as their surveyor said it showed damp and a chimney breast looked unstable! Neither of which is obvious. Now what do I do? Am I entitled to a copy of the surveyors report? Do I have to take what the builders say as gospel, , will I have to pay out or drop the price or what? These and many other questions are buzzing round my head, and I shall talk to my solicitor tomorrow, but I am so worried. I live on my own, and do not have 2 pennies to rub together until I sell. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, or if there are any builders who can cheer me up.

your friendly BE joiner/builder here

damp isn't a usually a major problem and most terrace type properties suffer a bit....the chimney breast sounds puzzling! is the brickwork exposed??? internally...but also not really major work.

you could always get yourself a couple of quotes to carry out the work...just for bargaining purposes......good luck

steve

if you need anymore info PM me

ps it's hard to give advice without seeing the report...but bear this in mind, surveyors always pick up on something....it justifies there fee!!!! so don't worry too much!!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jacknat
your friendly BE joiner/builder here

damp isn't a usually a major problem and most terrace type properties suffer a bit....the chimney breast sounds puzzling! is the brickwork exposed??? internally...but also not really major work.

you could always get yourself a couple of quotes to carry out the work...just for bargaining purposes......good luck

steve

if you need anymore info PM me

ps it's hard to give advice without seeing the report...but bear this in mind, surveyors always pick up on something....it justifies there fee!!!! so don't worry too much!!
Thanks for that. Be able to sleep a bit better now you have put my mind at rest. I agree with you about the chimney breast. Will let you know how it's going. Thanks again
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

When we were selling the house in the UK last year, for 3 different buyers we had 3 different survey results come back. Do you know not one of them had the same results on anything?? It was truely bizarre just how different the results were..I know if I were buying in the UK now, I would be totally worried about just how accurate the surveys we were paying for are!!

The first survey we had said that our double glazing would need replacing (bullshit!) and that the electricals were so old and would need replacing. Ok, agreed about the electricals and got a quote and willing to reduce the price....that buyer walked away

Second buyer's survey said that a tree from the front nature strip had a root that was causing structural problems to the whole front wall of the house!! What a load of RUBBISH!! The front of the house was all paved and NOT ONE of the pavers had lifted or shifted since they were layed over 15 yrs earlier. That buyer pulled out. Oh and the problems from buyer 1 werent even listed as issues for buyer 2

Buyer 3's survey bought up the electricals and...all of a sudden we had a damp problem that 2 previous surveys didnt pick up!!

Luckily buyer 3 actually completed on the house or else who knows what further surveys might have picked up!!

Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

that proves my point...

surveyors = fee justifiers

if you're buying find a good builder they'll give you a better idea and in language you'll understand!!....and if your selling and get a bad surveyors report always get a second opinion, it will save you money.

i'm biased tho but honest
Old Nov 15th 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Surveyors have found problems with my house!!!!!

Originally Posted by jacknat
that proves my point...

surveyors = fee justifiers

if you're buying find a good builder they'll give you a better idea and in language you'll understand!!....and if your selling and get a bad surveyors report always get a second opinion, it will save you money.

i'm biased tho but honest
OK.Have spoken to my solicitor, and he also has put my mind at rest. He said the valuation was taking into account the age of the property and possible flaws. He says I am not entitled to see the surevyors report, but the EA said that they would be seeing it. I shall get another builder in to suss it out anyway, not just go by their one, in case there is some jiggerypokery going on.Been taken for a ride in the past. Also I think some people think I am a vulnerable lone female desparate to move, who will give in, hey not this bunny!!!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:39 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Surveyors have found problems with my house!!!!!

You could see if your local council provide any grants towards the maintenance of older property. If there is work required and there was a grant available you would not have to drop your price so much.

As with anything to do with building work (if required) get two independent estimates of your own. Your potential purchaser may have a friend who is a builder and will hike the estimate up to get the price reduced more than necessary.

All's fair in buying & selling! You want the highest price they want the lowest.

Owning an older property is all about putting up with the problems & regular maintenance to fully enjoy it's quirkiness.

Good luck!

Old Nov 15th 2005, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

hello,

I is seveyor an peoply always tell me that i and thick and stup. but i know loads about ouses cos they is made of bricks ande that.

Its a dead ard job that makes me look in gutters what is usaly bloked up wit leafs.

i seen a pigdeon in a atik once anall.

i getz load of pebbles mony for lokkin at ther ouses witches makes me glad an that.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Surveyors have found problems with my house!!!!!

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
hello,

I is seveyor an peoply always tell me that i and thick and stup. but i know loads about ouses cos they is made of bricks ande that.

Its a dead ard job that makes me look in gutters what is usaly bloked up wit leafs.

i seen a pigdeon in a atik once anall.

i getz load of pebbles mony for lokkin at ther ouses witches makes me glad an that.

PMSL, thanks for that, Ali !!!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:24 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

OK.Have spoken to my solicitor, and he also has put my mind at rest. He said the valuation was taking into account the age of the property and possible flaws. He says I am not entitled to see the surevyors report, but the EA said that they would be seeing it. I shall get another builder in to suss it out anyway, not just go by their one, in case there is some jiggerypokery going on.Been taken for a ride in the past. Also I think some people think I am a vulnerable lone female desparate to move, who will give in, hey not this bunny!!!!!!

In Scotland you can buy a copy of the survey report....just call up there office and ask for a copy...dunno how much it costs tho

Good Luck
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:14 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

We have hopefully just sold our 107 year old Victorian terrace house in sunny Barnsley. So I was just re-reading our surveyors report on the house when we bought it 11 years ago and it scared the life out of me......why the blo@@dy hell did we buy it...???? According to the report it was falling down....

But we ignored the report and have had 11 trouble free years in a smashing old house and we wouldn't be moving out if we weren't Aussie bound...

So hang in there....the surveyor will always make it look bad to justify their fee..