Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surveyor wants to move to Aus

Surveyor wants to move to Aus

Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

ronak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surveyor wants to move to Aus

I am a Quantity Surveyor in England, does anyone know if there are many good opportunities for a QS to work in Australia - either in employment or self employed? Really at the start of our journey wanting to move to Australia so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:46 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surveyor wants to move to Aus

Originally Posted by ronak
I am a Quantity Surveyor in England, does anyone know if there are many good opportunities for a QS to work in Australia - either in employment or self employed? Really at the start of our journey wanting to move to Australia so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ron
Hi Ron and welcome to B.E.

Just popping in to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

As to to the question, have you had a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/ yet? To see if you will qualify for a visa?

Also try this, it may help you. http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...y-surveyor.htm

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along soonish I'm sure but it's past most of our bedtimes.

Enjoy B.E.

Alistair.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

saff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant futuresaff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Surveyor wants to move to Aus

Hi Ron

I'm a QS, and I moved to WA in July. lots of opps in WA for it, and the money is good; the real money is up in the mines, but after spending 3 months working on fly in fly out, spending 3 weeks at a mine and 1 at home, I can say I'm not a fan and am looking for something city based for the long term. . but whilst I've been here I've almost made a year's salary back home already. been very casually searching the last few weeks for a few reasons that I wont go into, but have had positive feedback already.

it all depends on your particulars though, generally they look for over 5 year's experience, with qualifications etc. biggest hold up at first will be a lack of relevant experience if that applies..

QSing isnt quite the same here, there are more 'contract administrators' than qs'es; and no standard contracts like the NEC which makes for some interesting disputes.. expect a claim letter to be coming in from subbies every two minutes! you have to be prepared to forget everything you know from experience and be open to how things work.

hope it helps.

Last edited by saff; Oct 26th 2011 at 6:27 am.