Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Survey of migrant adjustment

Survey of migrant adjustment

Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:15 am
Just Joined

SueWatt is a jewel in the roughSueWatt is a jewel in the roughSueWatt is a jewel in the roughSueWatt is a jewel in the roughSueWatt is a jewel in the rough
Default Survey of migrant adjustment

Dear British expat in Australia,

I am a researcher at the University of New England, New South Wales, and at present I am conducting research into migrant adjustment in Australia. Migrants make up around one quarter of the population in Australia, and its very important that we understand what helps them to successfully adjust to life in Australia.

I am asking people who are migrants to Australia, over the age of 18, to complete a questionnaire. Your participation will be entirely anonymous, and no individual data will be reported. Your responses will help us to understand and explain which problems people living abroad have to face, and what helps them. The questionnaire takes around 20 minutes to complete.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

Please go to the following website and follow the instructions from there:

http://migrantsurvey.speedsurvey.com

Yours sincerely,
Sue Watt, PhD
University of New England

Last edited by Sue; Nov 17th 2009 at 12:23 am. Reason: OP asked for permission prior to posting.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Survey of migrant adjustment

Having just completed this I would be interested to see the results at the end of the surveys!!
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
Having just completed this I would be interested to see the results at the end of the surveys!!
I did it too. It was like being interrogated by the police!!! "How happy are you?" and then 3 questions later "how unhappy are you?"
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve G
It says at the start of the survey that if you want the results to email the researcher, Sue Watt, and then gives her email address.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think many of the questions are very ambiguous, and could be honestly answered in diametrically opposite ways, throwing the results into question.

I complete the SMH reader survey most weeks and they don't seem able to phrase questions unambiguously, either. I think they have an idea of what they think the answer will be and don't consider the individuals' viewpoint and aspirations. It's not easy making up these sort of questions.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Loved the question about getting citizenship: Requested it and got it - because it's that easy
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I think many of the questions are very ambiguous, and could be honestly answered in diametrically opposite ways, throwing the results into question.
I agree, some of the questions were hard to answer as I am in late pregnancy and obviously this influences thoughts and feelings so my answers would be completely different if it were just a "normal" time if you know what I mean...
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the thing is aimed at possibly the non English speaking, non western world migrants. One question I left was the one about what sort of people did you stay with when you arrived. I didn't, well I did but they were the same people I always live with, my husband and kids. Didn't see a box to tick for them
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:29 am
His Excellency

fifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud offifty_pence has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SueWatt
Dear British expat in Australia,

I am a researcher at the University of New England, New South Wales, and at present I am conducting research into migrant adjustment in Australia. Migrants make up around one quarter of the population in Australia, and its very important that we understand what helps them to successfully adjust to life in Australia.

I am asking people who are migrants to Australia, over the age of 18, to complete a questionnaire. Your participation will be entirely anonymous, and no individual data will be reported. Your responses will help us to understand and explain which problems people living abroad have to face, and what helps them. The questionnaire takes around 20 minutes to complete.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

Please go to the following website and follow the instructions from there:

http://migrantsurvey.speedsurvey.com

Yours sincerely,
Sue Watt, PhD
University of New England
Hi Sue,

If you'd care to check back after you've posted, I'd like to know who prepared that questionnare.. It asked me the same stuff a zillion times in a zillion different ways..

I did manage to get through to the end anyway so yeh..