Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Survey: Australian and New Zealand homes the least affordable in the world

Survey: Australian and New Zealand homes the least affordable in the world

Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:56 am
I am not a troll!

Location: Yorkshire to Melbourne (2007) Melbourne to Sydney (2008) Here to stay!
earlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really niceearlneath is just really nice
Default Survey: Australian and New Zealand homes the least affordable in the world

Was sent the below summary by the Property Council of Australia, whose mailing list I am on. I should add I haven't read the survey and have no view on what the summary claims.
DEMOGRAPHIA SURVEY – MELBOURNE ALMOST AS EXPENSIVE AS SYDNEY?
Australian and New Zealand homes are the least affordable in the world, according to the 2008 Demographia study of International Housing Affordability.
The study surveys 227 cities and Australia scored 18 cities in the top 50 list of severely unaffordable markets. The survey revealed that on average, Australian families are forced to spend 6.1 times their entire household income to buy a typical home. This figure rises to 7.3 for families in Melbourne.
The survey backs the Property Council's view that the affordability crisis is caused by land rationing, excessive development charges and dysfunctional development assessment.
To view a copy of the Demographia survey results go to www.demographia.com
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Survey: Australian and New Zealand homes the least affordable in the world

Doesn't surprise me. Maybe the houses would be worth it if they were built properly.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:59 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Survey: Australian and New Zealand homes the least affordable in the world

Thats why I live on the beach, out the back of a combi, with a surfboard, a dog and a fishing rod....

Ahhhhh.....this is the life!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
Thats why I live on the beach, out the back of a combi, with a surfboard, a dog and a fishing rod....

Ahhhhh.....this is the life!
Sounds great

I call my house 'the shack'...it 'rocks and rolls' in the wind and rain..
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:56 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Sounds great

I call my house 'the shack'...it 'rocks and rolls' in the wind and rain..
yOu should have seen where I lived with a mate a few years back - a proper rustic shack on the beach, he built it on land he inheritied (about 10 acres) and it was awesome - he payed for NOTHING, the kitchen was made form old timber that was a bridge on the property, the posts in the house were old posts he found somewhere, the walls internally were corrugated iron from an old chicken shed......

The only thing he spent any money on was the bathroom - it was HUGE and was like the bathroom of a 5 star hotel, massive bath with fold out windows overlooking the bush....

When I lived there I used to say I was 'camping with an ensuite' - terrific place........

although I do like carpet these days.....
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

Had a quick read and not too sure what to make of it. These surveys wherever they come from are at times a bit hit and miss in my opinion.

I did not read all the many pages what is the basis of their findings, are they relaing it to average income x 4 (average morgtage versus house prices e.t.c)
No knocking Wales but Newport is on the list? The average house in Newport is still way below the U.K average.

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Feb 20th 2008 at 9:18 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:08 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by earlneath
Was sent the below summary by the Property Council of Australia, whose mailing list I am on. I should add I haven't read the survey and have no view on what the summary claims.
Some discussion here on this last month.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507749
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:20 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi.
The average house in Newport is still way below the U.K average.
So is the average salary probably.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats my point with these surveys, take them with a pinch of salt. The salaries are well below average so it takes a survey to tell us that. Many of the bar and cafe staff around Mayfair in London cannot afford a flat in the Mayfair area so it does not really tell us much that is not common sense does it