British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   surrounding areas of perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/surrounding-areas-perth-425881/)

bluenose27 Feb 11th 2007 7:29 pm

surrounding areas of perth

Hello,

Me and my girlfriend are moving to Perth, but were wondering if anyone could help us.

We have been looking at different areas in the Perth vicinity, including City Beach, Scarborough, Warwick,Claremont, Fremantle etc.

What would be the best area for a young couple (late twenties) who are looking to rent an apartment that is obviously affordable and near amenities such as the beach, shops etc.

Thankyou,

Paul

shade8 Feb 11th 2007 9:05 pm

Re: surrounding areas of perth

Originally Posted by bluenose27 (Post 4390763)
Hello,

Me and my girlfriend are moving to Perth, but were wondering if anyone could help us.

We have been looking at different areas in the Perth vicinity, including City Beach, Scarborough, Warwick,Claremont, Fremantle etc.

What would be the best area for a young couple (late twenties) who are looking to rent an apartment that is obviously affordable and near amenities such as the beach, shops etc.

Thankyou,

Paul

I would be looking at Greenwood,WArwick,Whitfords,Clarkson. all near trainline for access into the City.
Subiaco some of those other places you have mentioned very expensive.

Teabag Feb 11th 2007 9:05 pm

Hi Paul

I live in Perth (and we are hoping to move to the UK later this year) we are in Rockingham which if 56km south of Perth, the train will be here by mid year then it won't be so bad.

Fremantle is a really vibrant cosmopolitan city, heavily populated with an Italian community who mostly arrived around the 1950's.

Western Australia is going through a resources boom (mining etc.) and house property prices have now over-taken Sydney prices.

Why Perth? It is very barren, dull and isolated. To go anywhere nice for a weekend is hours away. Also it is very hot here. and the sun is very strong, we moved here from Brisbane about 12 years ago, Brisbane is very humid though.

But if you love that sort of thing then it is fine. It really depends what sort of lifestyle you are after, for families it is fine, but young professionals, I'd go east coast.

Ask any questions, I will try not to be too negative :rofl:

steve99 Feb 12th 2007 12:21 am

Hello,

Thankyou,

Paul

You can rule City Beach out, no apartments here im afraid.
As others have said, id suggest Subiaco as its on the trainline, is a few minutes into the city, and ten min drive to the beach.
Largely where you will end up will come down to your budget and whats available (which generally doesnt seem to be much!)
Other's worth a look would be Mosman Park,Claremont (if you want the trainline), Scarbourough & Wembley have a fair amount of apartments but you dont have the trainline, but there are bus services that are pretty good, plus Taxi's are pretty cheap.

bridie Feb 12th 2007 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 4391168)
Why Perth? It is very barren, dull and isolated. To go anywhere nice for a weekend is hours away. Also it is very hot here. and the sun is very strong,

Barren? Um, lots of greenery around, in fact we had friends over from Adelaide late last year and they commented on how green and lush it was compared to SA.

Dull and isolated, hours away from anywhere? Again, um!! :confused: Swan Valley on your doorstep, couple of hours down south and you can swim with dolphins in Bunbury, further hour or two to Busselton then Margaret River wine region....

Oh dear, I can hear myself repeating exactly what I wrote in a post last week :blink:

As for the sun being strong and it being hot, well, it is Australia so not sure what people expect :blink: :confused:

steve99 Feb 12th 2007 4:10 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 4391907)
Barren? Um, lots of greenery around, in fact we had friends over from Adelaide late last year and they commented on how green and lush it was compared to SA.

Dull and isolated, hours away from anywhere? Again, um!! :confused: Swan Valley on your doorstep, couple of hours down south and you can swim with dolphins in Bunbury, further hour or two to Busselton then Margaret River wine region....

Oh dear, I can hear myself repeating exactly what I wrote in a post last week :blink:

As for the sun being strong and it being hot, well, it is Australia so not sure what people expect :blink: :confused:

I think its Troll time....
I've never heard anyone who's been here over 10years complain that its too hot....there obviously a bit confused anyway, there talking about leaving Perth and going to where we've all escaped from;)

Teabag Feb 12th 2007 5:30 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4392178)
I think its Troll time....
I've never heard anyone who's been here over 10years complain that its too hot....there's obviously a bit confused anyway, there talking about leaving Perth and going to where we've all escaped from;)

excuse me I am not a troll, I am a 45 year old woman who was born in Brisbane, lived in Perth for 12 years and have a different opinion to you obviously.

And the sun is stronger compared to Queensland was my point, not that it's bloody Australia of course there is sunshine. d'oh

Sorry I don't love the brown hills in the Swan Valley, (umm.,... what Valley? no bloody hills in Perth, you want hills go to BrisVegas) never seen any Dolphins when I've been to Bunbury, I guess it must depend on the day you go, just like Monkey Mia you may touch one if you are lucky to get the front row and haven't been shoved out the way.

Someone has a different opinion, OMG someone doesn't love Australia unconditionally or want's to have BBQ's and sweat or who want's to sit on the burning sand while the flies buzz around your eyes and mouth, (that's after you've walked through the dunes covered in dog shit to get to the beach), a person who suffer's badly from the heat and hibernates all summer in their air-conditioned house, someone who want's to see the real world. Must be a Troll. :confused: I am entitled to have MY own opinion.

Amazulu Feb 12th 2007 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 4392271)
Sorry I don't love the brown hills in the Swan Valley, (umm.,... what Valley? no bloody hills in Perth, you want hills go to BrisVegas) never seen any Dolphins when I've been to Bunbury, I guess it must depend on the day you go, just like Monkey Mia you may touch one if you are lucky to get the front row and haven't been shoved out the way.

There are hills in Perth. I live on top of one and very nice it is too.
Who would want to touch a Dolphin? I can't see any reason too. Leave the poor animals alone. All this swimming with Dolphin bullshit should be banned.

steve99 Feb 12th 2007 5:56 am

excuse me I am not a troll, I am a 45 year old woman who was born in Brisbane, lived in Perth for 12 years and have a different opinion to you obviously.

And the sun is stronger compared to Queensland was my point, not that it's bloody Australia of course there is sunshine. d'oh

Someone has a different opinion, OMG someone doesn't love Australia unconditionally or want's to have BBQ's and sweat or who want's to sit on the burning sand while the flies buzz around your eyes and mouth, (that's after you've walked through the dunes covered in dog shit to get to the beach), a person who suffer's badly from the heat and hibernates all summer in their air-conditioned house, someone who want's to see the real world. Must be a Troll. :confused: I am entitled to have MY own opinion.

You werent asked to give your opinion on Perth, the OP was asking about areas in Perth where they have decided to relocate to.
There are plenty of threads on here comparing A to B and they generally degenerate into slagging one thing or another off, your more than welcome to make comments like yours there if you feel the need, but dont turn a thread where someones asking for advice into something else.

Teabag Feb 12th 2007 7:19 am

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 4392313)
You werent asked to give your opinion on Perth, the OP was asking about areas in Perth where they have decided to relocate to.
There are plenty of threads on here comparing A to B and they generally degenerate into slagging one thing or another off, your more than welcome to make comments like yours there if you feel the need, but dont turn a thread where someones asking for advice into something else.

well pardon me, I didn't turn it into a slagging match I asked why Perth? everyone else came in and started on me for daring to ask.

I also gave valid info about Freo etc. which was not detrimental.

Nazi's/thought police are alive and well and living in cyber-space

sme Feb 12th 2007 7:38 am

I'd love to live in Subiaco - if I was a couple;) of years younger and no kids:D

Sam Feb 12th 2007 7:50 am

Sorry I don't love the brown hills in the Swan Valley, .

Well excuse me!

I live in those there hills and they are not brown i'll have you know, (except from the bush fire bits)

Lush and green they all were yesterday as we drove along the darling range!!!! (or Perth hills as they are also known)

Teabag Feb 12th 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by alan and sam (Post 4392565)
Well excuse me!

I live in those there hills and they are not brown i'll have you know, (except from the bush fire bits)

Lush and green they all were yesterday as we drove along the darling range!!!! (or Perth hills as they are also known)

hmmm.....one man's green is another man's brown......ever been to Queensland?

Anyway, you are all ben't on shouting me down, so please don't respond I am not posting here anymore, will post in the moving back to UK thread, even though I am Aussie I feel more on their wave-length

micged Feb 12th 2007 8:36 am

Hello,

Thankyou,

Paul

I would have thought that the places you have mentioned pretty much cover it, although they are probably all in the more expensive areas. Cottesloe is great and Mosman park and subbiaco. Scarborough is a bit more 'touristy' - it probably wouldn't be my choice. Wembley is also okay and west leederville (both close to subbiaco but a bit cheaper).
Good luck with it all

Paul and Chloe Feb 12th 2007 8:38 am

Originally Posted by micged (Post 4392652)
I would have thought that the places you have mentioned pretty much cover it, although they are probably all in the more expensive areas. Cottesloe is great and Mosman park and subbiaco. Scarborough is a bit more 'touristy' - it probably wouldn't be my choice. Wembley is also okay and west leederville (both close to subbiaco but a bit cheaper).
Good luck with it all

As others have said there are plenty of decent apartments in Mossie Park where I live, close to the river and the beach, train to the city or Freo and also close to Claremont etc for dining out.

Cheers

Paul