Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surrey Hills, Sydney

Surrey Hills, Sydney

Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Surrey Hills, Sydney

Hi,

My parents have booked an apartment in Surrey Hills, Sydney, anyone got any info about the area please.

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:50 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surrey Hills, Sydney

Yes, I am sitting in it right now

What would you like to know?

Some parts very trendy, big gay community, some parts a bit grotty, very close to the central city.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:50 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

BTW.. it is spelt Surry without the E
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Yes, I am sitting in it right now

What would you like to know?

Some parts very trendy, big gay community, some parts a bit grotty, very close to the central city.
BTW.. it is spelt Surry without the E
Oh right sorry, I just copied how Mom had spelt it

Don't know where it is she just emailed me to tell me they'd booked it. Ooh don't like the thought they might be in a grotty bit, and OMG my Dad will go bananas with the 'big gay' bit

Thanks though
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:59 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by curly
Oh right sorry, I just copied how Mom had spelt it

Don't know where it is she just emailed me to tell me they'd booked it. Ooh don't like the thought they might be in a grotty bit, and OMG my Dad will go bananas with the 'big gay' bit

Thanks though
Ahhhh ummm...seriously, if he has probs with gays stay WELL away from here. It is real inner urban Sydney. As i said very trendy lots of cafes but it is not far from the infamoud Redfern so you would need to check which side of Surry Hills'
If you like PM me the street and I can tell you. I ma in my office with a wall map in fornt of me
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ahhhh ummm...seriously, if he has probs with gays stay WELL away from here. It is real inner urban Sydney. As i said very trendy lots of cafes but it is not far from the infamoud Redfern so you would need to check which side of Surry Hills'
If you like PM me the street and I can tell you. I ma in my office with a wall map in fornt of me
Thanks, have pm'd you the apt. website, only have the P.O. box no. to send the cheque to
Hope I haven't offended anyone, my Dad's not that bad, just a bit 'old school' you know
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

OMG my Dad will go bananas with the 'big gay' bit
....i hope they're not going in the last weekend of Feb then!!!??
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:36 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
....i hope they're not going in the last weekend of Feb then!!!??
My thoughts exactly.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:20 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My parents have booked an apartment in Surrey Hills, Sydney, anyone got any info about the area please.

Thanks
Hi N........

This is where mom is staying next week so will be able to let you what she thinks then C x
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Surry Hills for a decade from 87-97 and still own a flat there in Elizabeth Street.

I think it's a brilliant place and so handy to get to the city - 5 mins to Central Station, buses to the city or Eastern Suburbs beaches. I like walking and you can walk to the City in 20 mins, ditto Paddo, Newtown, the SCG and everything is so close you can afford a taxi - I never had a car. There are lots of restaurants and pubs.

I never had any hassles there and my mum and dad used to LOVE coming to stay with me. The only people likely to cause trouble are the drunken 'hoons' from the 'burbs, rubber necking.

Dave

Forgot to mention the terrace houses with their ironwork balconies. I think they are unique to Australia - someone will pull me up on that now!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

sparklebelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Hi, we visited Sydney last year to see son No.1 who lived in Waterloo, near to Surry Hills. We would never have seen the area had we just gone as normal tourists, and it was great! Loads of trendy bars, restaurants etc. The atmosphere in Crown Street was really buzzing and you could choose to eat food from almost anywhere in the world with the restaurants there. I thought it was much better than some of the touristy areas of Sydney and I would have no probs staying there at any time. As one of the other posters has said, the houses with the wrought iron balconies are a feature of the area, even though we never did get to go inside one of them! There is a big gay community there but we never found it a problem, and even quite late at night we were not as worried about walking around as we are in West Sussex, UK! Hope your mum and dad have a great time.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Think it's time to recommend Surry Hills restaurants......

Bills 1.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Think it's time to recommend Surry Hills restaurants......

Bills 1.

I liked the Lebanese ones - Abduls, The Prophet, Nada??? on Cleveland St and also the 'No Names' spaghetti place in the Shakespeare Hotel on Devonshire St. Also Thainesia?? up at Taylor Square but I've been away so long (I hardly know the place - My God I'm starting to sing Back in the USSR!) I don't know if they are still there.
Dave
ps where is Bills?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
I liked the Lebanese ones - Abduls, The Prophet, Nada??? on Cleveland St and also the 'No Names' spaghetti place in the Shakespeare Hotel on Devonshire St. Also Thainesia?? up at Taylor Square but I've been away so long (I hardly know the place - My God I'm starting to sing Back in the USSR!) I don't know if they are still there.
Dave
ps where is Bills?
<deep intake of breath>

Bills is actually Darlinghurst shock horror

No names is/was great!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sparklebelle
Hi, we visited Sydney last year to see son No.1 who lived in Waterloo, near to Surry Hills. We would never have seen the area had we just gone as normal tourists, and it was great! Loads of trendy bars, restaurants etc. The atmosphere in Crown Street was really buzzing and you could choose to eat food from almost anywhere in the world with the restaurants there. I thought it was much better than some of the touristy areas of Sydney and I would have no probs staying there at any time. As one of the other posters has said, the houses with the wrought iron balconies are a feature of the area, even though we never did get to go inside one of them! There is a big gay community there but we never found it a problem, and even quite late at night we were not as worried about walking around as we are in West Sussex, UK! Hope your mum and dad have a great time.
You are making me feel nostalgic. I used to walk to the library sometimes in Waterloo (down E St) if I did not want to go to the branch on Crown St near The Clock Hotel.

Just to share an 'anorak moment' - I used to also walk up a hill in Moore Park - Mount Steel which I think was created from the soil removed to build the City Circle line in the 1920's. Anyway, I liked to stand on the summit in the late arvo and look towards Waterloo and think 'Waterloo Sunset'! Sorry, it's about time for my pill.
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.