British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Surrendering UK drivers licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/surrendering-uk-drivers-licence-756467/)

xoxo Apr 28th 2012 1:12 pm

Surrendering UK drivers licence

I am non-UK resident and applied for a new UK drivers licence a couple of months ago via the DVLA website as my old one had expired. I stupidly did not read all of the relevant information and notice that I am actually no longer eligible for a licence due to being non-resident.

I was sent the new licence recently.

As I have learned of my mistake, I believe I should surrender it. Question is, should I write to the DVLA and ask to just surrender my licence without giving any explanation, or should I explain what has happened? Or, as a third option, I could also just say something along the lines of - "I am surrendering my licence as I'm no longer UK resident" which is a bit more vague.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realise my mistake and just want to rectify it in the best possible way.

JAJ Apr 28th 2012 5:36 pm

Re: Surrendering UK drivers licence

Did you tell them your non-GB address?

And do you have a drivers licence from where you live?

Prudi Apr 28th 2012 5:56 pm

I have the vaguest recollection that your GB licence becomes invalid as soon as you are not entitled to hold it any more. So my interpretation is that you don't need to inform DVLA when, for instance, you get an Australian licence (as you can't have "dual nationality" with UK licences). However, a quick Google doesn't return anything that backs this up. The best I can find is here -

If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. You don't need to notify DVLA of a change of address when moving to live abroad.
Apologies if my vague post is more of a hindrance than a help. JAJ raises a valid point - if you have a "valid" GB licence, you have to keep them updated of your current UK address, so if you have given them an address that you no longer live at, that's an issue.

xoxo Apr 28th 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't inform them of my non-uk address. I still have an address in the UK so used that when I renewed the photo card online.

It was just a case of not thinking when I submitted the online form. Stupid I know.

They issued the new photo card without an issue, but think I should inform them and explain that I want to surrender my licence now that I've become aware that this is an issue.

I do have a drivers licence here.

Bermudashorts Apr 28th 2012 11:02 pm

I wouldn't bother frankly.

moneypenny20 Apr 28th 2012 11:07 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you're using the licence illegally, you're not using it at all. I'm not aware of anyone who's informed DVLA that their licence needed cancelling as they were leaving/had left the country.

NedKelly Apr 28th 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Prudi (Post 10030413)
Apologies if my vague post is more of a hindrance than a help. JAJ raises a valid point - if you have a "valid" GB licence, you have to keep them updated of your current UK address, so if you have given them an address that you no longer live at, that's an issue.

I believe you are correct, if you give them a false address it's a criminal offence punishable by a fine, prison, etc. I just posted mine back and told them I had emigrated.

moneypenny20 Apr 29th 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly (Post 10030729)
I believe you are correct, if you give them a false address it's a criminal offence punishable by a fine, prison, etc. I just posted mine back and told them I had emigrated.

But he didn't, he still owns the property.

NedKelly Apr 29th 2012 12:13 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10030750)
But he didn't, he still owns the property.

At least they know where to send the fines to!

perth tiger Apr 29th 2012 2:02 am

last year i was thinking of going back to live in the uk. i asked dvla about getting my license renewed as i have mislaid it somewhere. they said i couldnt do that from overseas but as soon as i got back i should renew it and use that instead of my oz one.
they also said it would possibly be an offence to use my oz one if i had a valid uk one.
they wont cancel your license they just wont renew it without a valid uk address

hazelcrest Apr 29th 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by xoxo (Post 10030072)
I am non-UK resident and applied for a new UK drivers licence a couple of months ago via the DVLA website as my old one had expired. I stupidly did not read all of the relevant information and notice that I am actually no longer eligible for a licence due to being non-resident.

I was sent the new licence recently.

As I have learned of my mistake, I believe I should surrender it. Question is, should I write to the DVLA and ask to just surrender my licence without giving any explanation, or should I explain what has happened? Or, as a third option, I could also just say something along the lines of - "I am surrendering my licence as I'm no longer UK resident" which is a bit more vague.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I realise my mistake and just want to rectify it in the best possible way.

MMM Well its always handy to have the correct documents when you travel or even revisit places. For example I have dual nationality and keep both Australian & British Passports upto date. I remember emigrating to Perth and applied for a Australian Drivers Licence - the RTA stamped all over my UK paper licence Cancelled /transferred. I was horrified to see that my document had been all but shredded!! When I returned from OZ I managed to get a new paper copy which I have retained
. It would be a folly to surrender it before you leave the UK unless you intend to retake another test and apply for the Australian Licence? Why not have it with you and get the Australian one with it?

Swerv-o Apr 30th 2012 4:09 am

Originally Posted by hazelcrest (Post 10031971)
MMM Well its always handy to have the correct documents when you travel or even revisit places. For example I have dual nationality and keep both Australian & British Passports upto date. I remember emigrating to Perth and applied for a Australian Drivers Licence - the RTA stamped all over my UK paper licence Cancelled /transferred. I was horrified to see that my document had been all but shredded!! When I returned from OZ I managed to get a new paper copy which I have retained
. It would be a folly to surrender it before you leave the UK unless you intend to retake another test and apply for the Australian Licence? Why not have it with you and get the Australian one with it?

Agreed. I've maintained both UK and Australian licences, with the UK one registered to my parents address. Had no issues with DVLA at all. Indeed I renewed my UK photo licence the last time that I was back.

Though the photo expires after 15 years, UK licences are for life, and I would be very reluctant to surrender it.

OP - I really think that you are making life much harder than it needs to be - Just keep it, and use it when you travel back to the UK. If you find that you never use it, then just let it expire.

S