Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surprised at response

Surprised at response

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

fattyandgyps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surprised at response

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback as to why you want to migrate to Oz. I'm so surprised at the response by some of the people who said they want to be mortgage free and buy big houses , obviously you plan on bringing a lot of money from the UK with you to be able to afford to do this. Also, the fact that a few mentioned the crime and the young punks they want to get away from, at the moment the crime rate over here is growing, and our major cities such as Melbourne has a huge problem with punks and drug addicts dealing in the local shops right under peoples noses. It just seems to me that all the things that are a worry to me at the moment eg. buying a house, thugs that roam the streets etc, are the very things that people think they are escaping from by migrating here. Certainly gets you thinking.

cheers everyone, thanks for the feedback
gyps
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surprised at response

Originally posted by fattyandgyps
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback as to why you want to migrate to Oz. I'm so surprised at the response by some of the people who said they want to be mortgage free and buy big houses , obviously you plan on bringing a lot of money from the UK with you to be able to afford to do this. Also, the fact that a few mentioned the crime and the young punks they want to get away from, at the moment the crime rate over here is growing, and our major cities such as Melbourne has a huge problem with punks and drug addicts dealing in the local shops right under peoples noses. It just seems to me that all the things that are a worry to me at the moment eg. buying a house, thugs that roam the streets etc, are the very things that people think they are escaping from by migrating here. Certainly gets you thinking.

gyps

So you are an Austalian too?

Agree the replies are astounding, one of the most often discussed issues in the Australian Media is lack of affordability for our first home buyers but nobody in the UK seems to understand this?

I have suggested several times people check into the Australian newspapers daily, nobody who has done this would believe housing affordability in comparisom to wages is not an issue in our Country.

Nor would they believe its a safe haven, Newspaper headlines this week reported a child being set alight in a park and a 5 year old molested in a shopping center toilet by a teenager.

Reading our newspapers online is so easy, it might be the best 2 minutes of research a day any intending aussie resident can do. But I dont think anyones doing it
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 3:37 am
Badge

Agreed.

I think people KNOW it is ridiculously expensive to buy a house here, but they KNOW they CAN do it as they have pounds. (To start with).

As I said, problems everywhere you go, but there are good traits univerally observed that you see everywhere in Australia.

There will always be isolated incidents - that is why they get in the paper.

BM

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:24 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jad n rich
So you are an Austalian too?

Agree the replies are astounding, one of the most often discussed issues in the Australian Media is lack of affordability for our first home buyers but nobody in the UK seems to understand this?

I have suggested several times people check into the Australian newspapers daily, nobody who has done this would believe housing affordability in comparisom to wages is not an issue in our Country.

Nor would they believe its a safe haven, Newspaper headlines this week reported a child being set alight in a park and a 5 year old molested in a shopping center toilet by a teenager.
Agree with what you are saying but I understood folks on here to be saying they see it will as LESS of an issue compared to the house prices and crime rates in their part of the UK (or where ever). I cant think of anyone thats saying its not an issue at all.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

exactly-that is why we are heading home! Think carefully about why you are coming out and if it is for the right reasons.

gyps
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:49 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

gyps

I'm also surprised at some peoples reasons for moving to Australia, especially those who have never been before.

We have been several times to several different areas and yes we are taking a large sum of cash with us, but that is not the only reason.
We actually like Australia, to many reasons to list, however, we do not dislike the UK, there is good and bad to be had in both countries.

Generally, it all depends on the type of person you are, if you are happy go lucky you'll be right anywhere in the world. If you are a sort of down closed up person nothing will change.

Something like that anyway.

PJ
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Jacko1
I'm also surprised at some peoples reasons for moving to Australia, especially those who have never been before.

We have been several times to several different areas and yes we are taking a large sum of cash with us, but that is not the only reason.
We actually like Australia, to many reasons to list, however, we do not dislike the UK, there is good and bad to be had in both countries.

Generally, it all depends on the type of person you are, if you are happy go lucky you'll be right anywhere in the world. If you are a sort of down closed up person nothing will change.

Something like that anyway.

PJ
Jacko
I agree with you. We have been a couple of times before. I know what to expect and I am not expecting there to be no crime or drugs - this is a universal problem. You cannot escape this wherever you go.

I also know that the houses are not cheap, the tax rates are high etc etc. However, we still want to go and we will try it.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:02 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Originally posted by debsy
Jacko
I agree with you. We have been a couple of times before. I know what to expect and I am not expecting there to be no crime or drugs - this is a universal problem. You cannot escape this wherever you go.

I also know that the houses are not cheap, the tax rates are high etc etc. However, we still want to go and we will try it.

I should have added that we are moving to Perth in October, as like you we want to give it a go.

And

Everyone is entitled to thier own views

PJ
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Jacko1
I should have added that we are moving to Perth in October, as like you we want to give it a go.

And

Everyone is entitled to thier own views

PJ
Yes I agree. Everyone is entitled to their own views. It is nice to hear all different kinds of opinions.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
As I said, problems everywhere you go, but there are good traits univerally observed that you see everywhere in Australia.

There will always be isolated incidents - that is why they get in the paper.

BM
But are they any more isolated than the equivalent crimes committed in the UK?

I don't think they are.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:16 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
But are they any more isolated than the equivalent crimes committed in the UK?

I don't think they are.

I think its about the same almost every where in the world
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by debsy
I am not expecting there to be no crime or drugs -
Well, theres not much Cocaine in Australia compared to the UK and that's got to be a good thing.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by renth
Well, theres not much Cocaine in Australia compared to the UK and that's got to be a good thing.