Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surgically enhanced chickens

Surgically enhanced chickens

Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Surgically enhanced chickens

I am getting very suspect about the size of food here, take chicken, just picked up some stuff for dinner, chicken breasts to be exact. So huge they look and feel more like a large shoe one half breast no bone, no skin weighed 700 grams :scared: WTF chemicals are we eating here?

Now this meal is accompanied by 3 veg, which last week I find out is mostly imported and aus has no controls or checks on food for salmonella etc, (amazed at that, the way they confiscate apples etc at customs) anyway testings last week show not only is food not labelled with the country of origin but much of the fruit/veg is cheap asian imports with no standards of control and tests show was fertilised with HUMAN manure. That was on TV one night last week, did anyone else see it?

Which leads me to think each day I cover myself in sunblock, more chemicals, and if out in the evening spray myself insect repellant (what is in that ?) Then live in a house that needs to be sprayed once a year for insects, god knows what chemicals are in that then?

Healthy? You decide :scared:
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:39 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surgically enhanced chickens

They feed the chickens steroids and growth hormones - they are truly huge I noticed that too. You will grow man boobs - I know I have, but thats because of TimTams not chooks.

At least if you're eating veggies from asia grown with human manure you know they're ecologically sound. Its not a case of washing them, more like put them in the top-loader for an hour on Hot Wash
Old Oct 12th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I am getting very suspect about the size of food here, take chicken, just picked up some stuff for dinner, chicken breasts to be exact. So huge they look and feel more like a large shoe one half breast no bone, no skin weighed 700 grams :scared: WTF chemicals are we eating here?

Now this meal is accompanied by 3 veg, which last week I find out is mostly imported and aus has no controls or checks on food for salmonella etc, (amazed at that, the way they confiscate apples etc at customs) anyway testings last week show not only is food not labelled with the country of origin but much of the fruit/veg is cheap asian imports with no standards of control and tests show was fertilised with HUMAN manure. That was on TV one night last week, did anyone else see it?

Which leads me to think each day I cover myself in sunblock, more chemicals, and if out in the evening spray myself insect repellant (what is in that ?) Then live in a house that needs to be sprayed once a year for insects, god knows what chemicals are in that then?

Agree completely. Human fertiliser is not my concern though - I'm more bothered about the uncontrolled use of chemicals in places like China.
Chicken is definitely a concern - but at least it is meaty - not full of water like a lot of the UK ones!

I tend to shop for WA produce as far as vegetables are concerned. Meat - moving more towards organic (and cutting down) and increasing the amount of fish - from the sea, not farmed.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about the chickens - they are the same here in the UK. I think they pump them full of water as well, judging by the size they end up once cooked - same as the bacon.
There are lots of alternatives to chemical sprays and insect repellents - just ask at your local health food store. I stock up every time I am back in Australia - nothing else repels the midgies in Scotland like the secret Aussie formula I get! There are also Aloe Vera based sun screens that are totally natural and work a treat.
The use of really harmful chemical sprays seems to be on the decrease in many parts of Australia, but in saying that, I am not convinced enough to live in a rural cropping area. Stay as close to the beach as possible!!
The crops of Canola in Scotland are sprayed with 16 different chemicals from the time they are planted to the time they are harvested. These crops are surrounded by housing estates. These housing estates are full of asthmatic children. Certainly food for thought.
Organic foods are not as readily available in Australian supermarkets as they are in the UK, but you should be able to source fruit and vegetables from local growers. There are quite a few in the South West who probably deliver to Perth areas.
As for the chickens, well, I'd stay away from the 'glow-in-the-dark' variety until I could source some wild ones.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Simple answer, buy organic. It is a lot cheaper in Aus then the UK.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tuxtrip]

I know what you mean about the chickens - they are the same here in the UK.

I think you have to see the aus ones, this sucker when joining the 2 parts together will not fit on a large dinner plate and in places its about 3 inches thick probably more, its not water either its a a solid mass, even when cooked. One breast that large is not healthy :scared: (No jokes please )
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dshole
Simple answer, buy organic. It is a lot cheaper in Aus then the UK.
Organic is no way cheap in OZ, no way in the world, can you imagine trying to grow natural stuff in a warm climate with the amount of pest and insect life here, organic is through the roof.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:14 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

not true. the use of hormones in chickens was outlawed in the mid-80s in australia. i only found that out last week (i think it was in super food ideas).

Originally Posted by spalen
They feed the chickens steroids and growth hormones - they are truly huge I noticed that too. You will grow man boobs - I know I have, but thats because of TimTams not chooks.

At least if you're eating veggies from asia grown with human manure you know they're ecologically sound. Its not a case of washing them, more like put them in the top-loader for an hour on Hot Wash
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:24 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

I think what you might find is that they inject them with water, this makes the chickens look nice plump fat breasts. the same trick is used in the uk. the only problem is they shrink to buggery when cooked

Last edited by Jane and Russ Middleton; Oct 12th 2005 at 7:27 am.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

I buy Organic produce here in Perth and find it pretty reasonable.

Chicken situation a shocker........

Chicken breasts are HUGE - the biggest whole chicken I have found (even free range organic) was TINY. I wonder what the chicken breasts are made from. Glad someone brought this up as I was wondering about it - but didn't want to post about it
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
I buy Organic produce here in Perth and find it pretty reasonable.

Chicken situation a shocker........

Chicken breasts are HUGE - the biggest whole chicken I have found (even free range organic) was TINY. I wonder what the chicken breasts are made from. Glad someone brought this up as I was wondering about it - but didn't want to post about it

I know everyone in the uK is going to say oh er its the same here but its NOT, this is truly HUGE isnt it? if its not growth hormones what the hell its it :scared:

Imagine if you could bottle it and sell it

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 12th 2005 at 7:52 am.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 7:58 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

The chooks are happier so they grow more

They don't get rained in, they have their own pool, they have bigger chook huts .......and there are so many laws to protect them it's not funny

Contented chooks I'd say

and the steroids
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Have decided to become Aussie Chook. Bigger boobs with the rest of me shrinking. Good, that's sorted then.
Old Oct 12th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

You know this worries me lots! Have you tried looking for organic chickens? We couldn't find any and the quality of the fruit and veg is crap to say the least. Right off to Sainsbury's to do the weekly shop with all those lovely, high quality, organic veg!!! Definately think the aussies should look at improving their supermarkets and quality control!
Old Oct 12th 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Organic is no way cheap in OZ, no way in the world, can you imagine trying to grow natural stuff in a warm climate with the amount of pest and insect life here, organic is through the roof.
I said cheaper not cheap, either way it's your choice. Chemicals or no chemicals. I know what we go for everytime.

Feel free to continue eating your poison ridden QLD produce.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.