Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surfing in Perth

Surfing in Perth

Old Dec 6th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of
Question Surfing in Perth

Hi Guys,

On our last visit to Perth I took some surfing lessons and it's something I want to continue to do when (not if ) we move there permanently next year. Anyone taken surfing up as a hobby since moving to Oz?
Any good places to buy, probably a 9ft board, around the Perth area?
Any good spots you can recommend for a beginner to learn so that I don't get trampled on by the more experienced surfers.

Regards,
Darren
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surfing in Perth

Hi Darren. My 2 kids took up surfing when we moved here. They took lessons from Troy at GoSurf down at Scarborough Beach. I'll look for the contact info for you later. There's a surf shop in the same plaza as Coles in Scarborough that gives you a discount on merchandise if you tell them you took lessons from Troy. We bought the kids their boards there and the staff were very helpful. There really are tons of surf shops in Perth, though. Some sell used boards, and if you're just starting this might be the way to go. Also if you take lessons from Troy you can try different boards to see what you like - shorter, longer, soft, hard, etc.
I know I sound like an advertisement for them, but my kids took lessons first in May last year for 2 days and then did a school holiday thing where they went every day for a week in October. They were absolutely fantastic with them. Don't worry, though, there were adults in the group both times and they had a blast, too. Photos attached from their first lessons.
Attached Thumbnails Surfing in Perth-kids-surfing-%40-scarborough.jpg   Surfing in Perth-colin-charlotte-troy-iain-paul.jpg  
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Hi Darren. My 2 kids took up surfing when we moved here. They took lessons from Troy at GoSurf down at Scarborough Beach. I'll look for the contact info for you later. There's a surf shop in the same plaza as Coles in Scarborough that gives you a discount on merchandise if you tell them you took lessons from Troy. We bought the kids their boards there and the staff were very helpful. There really are tons of surf shops in Perth, though. Some sell used boards, and if you're just starting this might be the way to go. Also if you take lessons from Troy you can try different boards to see what you like - shorter, longer, soft, hard, etc.
I know I sound like an advertisement for them, but my kids took lessons first in May last year for 2 days and then did a school holiday thing where they went every day for a week in October. They were absolutely fantastic with them. Don't worry, though, there were adults in the group both times and they had a blast, too. Photos attached from their first lessons.
Hi Dorothy.

I took some lessons with some great guys at Scarborough beach in December 2006. Can't remember their names, but they were great. I have been recommended by a surfer here that a 9ft board would be the best to start with as i am 6' 1".
I'll make a point of trawling around a few shops when i get there to source a good second hand board.

Thanks for the info
Old Dec 7th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Do you mind giving me Troys contact details as well. My daughter wants to take some lessons and he sounds ideal. Did your kids have their own boards and wetsuits or does he supply them? Cheers Dorothy.
Tracie
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
Do you mind giving me Troys contact details as well. My daughter wants to take some lessons and he sounds ideal. Did your kids have their own boards and wetsuits or does he supply them? Cheers Dorothy.
Tracie
Hey Tracie
They supply boards and wetsuits for those who don't have their own. The wetsuits are short sleeves and short legs, so the kids end up with a rash from the sand so I bought my kids their own. We also bought them boards for their Christmas pressies this year, but of course they don't know it yet.

I looked for the phone number, but couldn't find it. What I did find was the address & email:
Perth Go Surf
PO Box 292
Scarborough WA 6922
[email protected]

We're going down there tomorrow morning, so I'll get one of the flyers and post his phone number for you.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:17 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]

Any surf schools in Rockingham at all ?

for 44 yrs dad and 5 yrs boy ?

Dave
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

You could try:
www.rockingham-tourism.com/bigwave/index.html

Hope this helps
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:07 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
You could try:
www.rockingham-tourism.com/bigwave/index.html

Hope this helps
Thanks very much for that !

Last edited by mindblower; Dec 7th 2007 at 11:10 am.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:22 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 really good ones run on Secret Harbour beach (if that's not too far).

http://www.bigwavesurfingschool.com/

http://www.gonesurfin.com.au/Home.html

Secret Harbour is the better place to learn given the waves.

My son used the first one and was up on a board within three hours. I think the second is good too and is run by an ex-pro. They do taster courses and short courses all through the year.

Good luck!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 5:22 am
Still alive

Ok, found the numbers for Go Surf. You can ring Paul on 0407 224 051 or 9245 1684.

The surf shop I was talking about earlier that was so helpful is Murray Smith surf shop on Scarborough Beach Rd at the corner of West Coast Hwy. It's in the same plaza as Coles. We were there today and dealt with Murray (the owner) who was really helpful with what we were looking for.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Ok, found the numbers for Go Surf. You can ring Paul on 0407 224 051 or 9245 1684.

The surf shop I was talking about earlier that was so helpful is Murray Smith surf shop on Scarborough Beach Rd at the corner of West Coast Hwy. It's in the same plaza as Coles. We were there today and dealt with Murray (the owner) who was really helpful with what we were looking for.
Cheers for that Dorothy I will give him a ring
Tracie