Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Surf buddy Perth/Rockingham/Mandurah

Surf buddy Perth/Rockingham/Mandurah

Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough
Cool Surf buddy Perth/Rockingham/Mandurah

We are flying out to Perth at the begining of January and initialy will be staying with parents in Pinjarra near Mandurah, then hopefully looking to buy/rent in the Rockingham area.

I am a keen surfer and am looking to meet up with somebody who can introduce me to some local breaks, keep me out the rips and generally surf with .

Also is the sea warm enough in the summer for just boardies and a rashie and will I need a wet suit for the winter months and what sort of thickness - I have a 3:2 at the moment that needs replacing?

What is the local crewe like, are they freindly or hostile :scared: ? I spent last weekend in North Devon mainly at Saunton Sands and the locals were really freindly, chatty and helpfull.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surf buddy Perth/Rockingham/Mandurah

Originally Posted by markcrook
We are flying out to Perth at the begining of January and initialy will be staying with parents in Pinjarra near Mandurah, then hopefully looking to buy/rent in the Rockingham area.

I am a keen surfer and am looking to meet up with somebody who can introduce me to some local breaks, keep me out the rips and generally surf with .

Also is the sea warm enough in the summer for just boardies and a rashie and will I need a wet suit for the winter months and what sort of thickness - I have a 3:2 at the moment that needs replacing?

What is the local crewe like, are they freindly or hostile :scared: ? I spent last weekend in North Devon mainly at Saunton Sands and the locals were really freindly, chatty and helpfull.
wish i could help you mate, but all i know about surfing is that it looks bloody hard - but must say that i'm very impressed by the skill and wish i could do it.

We are in Mandurah BTW, have seen some surfers out and looked as if they were in wetsuits. Waves were pretty impressive too.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be able to help you - sorry about my ignorance on the subject, but good luck
Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:21 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by markcrook

Hi, all you will need to do is get to Secret Harbour and the locals will do the rest. There are plenty of places to get a new wetsuit but wait until you hit the beach you may be able to pick a good one up from one of the locals. All ages surf there and you will not have any trouble getting new friends. Also go onto www.emi-great.com . This is an expat site of people who live in the Rockingham, Port Kennedy, Singleton, and Mandurah areas. Have fun. Suzette at Cedar Cottage
Old Oct 21st 2006, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely the best surfing is around Secret Harbour. My son's surf instructor said he used to have a surf school north of Perth but it is just far too busy now. Great waves at SH.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

Cheers guys,

Secret Harbour it is then, I wonder how much housing is there?

I don't think we are going to be any further than 20-30mins from a beach when we find somewhere to live - where as here I am two ours from decent surf .
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:35 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

there are always surfers dotted in the sea at Cottesloe and Leighton beach too. Not that near to Mandurah though.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by claire edwards
there are always surfers dotted in the sea at Cottesloe and Leighton beach too. Not that near to Mandurah though.
We aren't going to be in Mandurah very long (fingers crossed) as living with your parents at the age of 35 isn't my idea of fun! The main advantage will be the baby sitting!

Also Mandurah is to far from the Mount hospital where I am going to be working.

Hope to be in the Rockingham area asap!